I'd like to keep my price around $800 or lower. I will just be picking up a guitar for the first time in 20 years...and even back then I didn't stick to it...so, officially I'm a beginner. I am hoping to be able to play blues music and maybe even a little bit of Johnny Cash-style country music in due time.

So, I was looking at the Epiphone Ultra 339. I am intrigued by it's ability to play with an electric AND acoustic sound. But, from what I've read...it's a new guitar and quality control seems to be hit or miss right now.

I'm a small guy...5'7 with small to average sized hands. I'm assuming a guitar with a smaller scale (if that's how you'd word it....a shorter distance between frets) might be good for me? I don't know, honestly, that's why I'm here.

I've also looked at the Gretsch models, such as the g5120. There is just SOOO much out there that I'm overwhelmed. I want a guitar that appeals to me physically...so that I want to pick it up. I really like the look of the Epi 339 (Pro and Ultra).

Thoughts? I'd greatly appreciate your input!
I'd say a to get a hollowbody.
While these are not incredibally versitile, they will work great for you styles. I'm not nearly an expert on these, but my suggestion would be the Epiphone Dot.

Hope this helped :\

EDIT: Also, further reading your post: DO NOT buy your guitar for it's looks. I know by experience, eventually you WILL get sick of how it looks, and there's $800 down the toilet. If I were you, I'd find a few I like, and go out and play them, see how they sound.
Last edited by YesterdaysToday at Jan 12, 2012,
Do you want an electric guitar or an acoustic? Because there's no electric that will do a really convincing acoustic sound in my opinion, except the Taylor T5.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
If you want a semi hollow the epiphone sheraton ii gets my vote.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Thanks for the quick replies!

But, the suggestion of going to play a few at the store....um, I really don't "play" yet. lol. I know a few chords that I remember from 20 years ago. Unless you think that is sufficient...or that I ask someone at the store to play. I worry that it will be hard for me to judge the sound considering my virgin ears ;-)

So, I'm trying to go on reviews from actual guitar players right now. I do like the suggestion of narrowing my search to hollowbodies...the suggestions you guys gave me are both in line with the styling that I like.

But, again, what about the Epi 339's ability to do the acoustic sound too? I could see myself using that (but, then again, I own a cheap acoustic guitar...so maybe I need to drop this guitar from my list?)
A big part of an acoustic guitars sound vs. an electrics sound acoustically has to do with the material it's strings are made of. Nickel tends to sound a little warmer and rounder and doesnt have the sharper attack that bronze or phosphor bronze does. They just sound inherently different, though if you are just starting out again this may not make a huge difference to you.
The 339 Ultra should be a really nice guitar. Most of Epi's guitars in the mid range ($500-1000) are sound investments and have pretty good quality control. If you can find an epi hollowbody in the Elite line they are really nice instruments as well.
Quote by tGrip

But, the suggestion of going to play a few at the store....um, I really don't "play" yet. lol. I know a few chords that I remember from 20 years ago. Unless you think that is sufficient...or that I ask someone at the store to play. I worry that it will be hard for me to judge the sound considering my virgin ears ;-)

A few chords is all you need. I'd say worry about playability, sound comes second (IMO). Feel which neck/body you like the best. Then worry about the sound. Of course, if you really like the sound of one and you're willing to compromise on playability then go ahead.

But at that price range, everything you have access to should be decent in sound and quality.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?