I am a 37 yr old novice guitar player & had a opportunity to play couple guitars built by local guitar player. He is the guitar player of the band my uncle is in. After playing his guitars I definately wanna place an order for 1 built to my specs. He carves the bodies & necks, makes the fretboards too. They are beautiful & sound awsome. I will post link to Facebook photo albums. He has 3 completed, on there & 1 in progress. When u open an album for a guitar the specs are listed at the bottom before u click on an individal pic. I would like honest oponions abt these guitars & what would be a reasonable price for 1. I guess just tell me what u think the completed ones should range in price. I got a price range from the guy & want opinions from people who really know guitars. Again, I am a novice player for only couple years now. Thanks!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/PaMaxx-Custom-USA-Guitars/169205659847956?sk=photos
to be honest it looks like he took a dean body and gave it a customized fender neck

if you like it go for it, just keep in mind it will have next to no resale value and you could probably get a nicer one made by a reputable company for less.

Edit

Then again maybe he'll be the next leo fender and in 40 years your guitar will be one of the originals and worth a shit ton of cashola.

but probably not.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Last edited by mike_oxbig at Jan 12, 2012,
Honest opinion: those guitars are ugly as rosie o donell having scat sex with a decaying walrus.

The wood in the padauk is sweet. Too bad about the shape.

|
|
\/ oh sweet jesus thats nice.
Last edited by StonedColdCrazy at Jan 12, 2012,
Quote by mike_oxbig
to be honest it looks like he took a dean body and gave it a customized fender neck

if you like it go for it, just keep in mind it will have next to no resale value and you could probably get a nicer one made by a reputable company for less.

Edit

Then again maybe he'll be the next leo fender and in 40 years your guitar will be one of the originals and worth a shit ton of cashola.

but probably not.

I seriously doubt you know how much it cost for a custom from a known brand.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by Kyleisthename

I was referring to a normal nice guitar made by a reputable brand
not a custom guitar made by a reputable brand
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Quote by Kyleisthename
It's really easy to get quotes for custom builds from most large brands. Find a dealer in your area (or the distributor if there are no dealers near you) and ask them to get a quote for you. A few brands even have rough price guides to their custom shops online.

Anyway, on the subject of custom guitars: it's worth it if you can be involved in the creation of the guitar. By that I mean, you get to specify the feel of the neck, you get to hold the neck before the guitar is finished so you can make sure it's as comfortable as possible for you, etc. There are many custom builders who are up themselves who insist on doing everything their way regardless of what the customer wants. If you're going for a custom build, shop around to make sure you're getting a competitive price (although bear in mind you do get what you pay for, a 'custom build' that costs you $600 isn't likely to be a quarter as nice as one that costs $6000) and make sure you have maximum input and the maker has a precise idea about what you want. If the guitar doesn't turn out right then you're screwed, it's not like you can easily sell a custom guitar and start over.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by mike_oxbig

I think the bottom half of body is designed after Les Paul & the top half might be Dean influenced. The birdseye maple neck guitar has Fender style neck/headstock he bought & customized. He carved the 2nd Fender style neck/headstock on the Bloodwood. He changed headstock style when he built the Mahogany guitar. I am personaly picturing a Jackson reverse style headstock to match horn on body.
Quote by MrFlibble
It's really easy to get quotes for custom builds from most large brands. Find a dealer in your area (or the distributor if there are no dealers near you) and ask them to get a quote for you. A few brands even have rough price guides to their custom shops online.

Anyway, on the subject of custom guitars: it's worth it if you can be involved in the creation of the guitar. By that I mean, you get to specify the feel of the neck, you get to hold the neck before the guitar is finished so you can make sure it's as comfortable as possible for you, etc. There are many custom builders who are up themselves who insist on doing everything their way regardless of what the customer wants. If you're going for a custom build, shop around to make sure you're getting a competitive price (although bear in mind you do get what you pay for, a 'custom build' that costs you $600 isn't likely to be a quarter as nice as one that costs $6000) and make sure you have maximum input and the maker has a precise idea about what you want. If the guitar doesn't turn out right then you're screwed, it's not like you can easily sell a custom guitar and start over.

Thanks for the advice. He did say after he carves the neck I would be able to check it out to see how it feels. He said if I decide to buy, I can even come over & we could get online & choose the body blanks (top & bottom), neck blank & fretboard. Or I could just tell him what woods I want & he will pick the blanks. He does not rush the process, cuz he has regular job & in a band. So I will have many opportunities to inspect during the build. I know I could buy a nice Made in USA guitar for less but think I will like being involved in the build of my own guitar.
I does look a bit like an upside-down Dean Cadillac.

I have 5 guitars by a luthier named Jon Kammerer- all of mine were guitars he had in stock, not customs. His in-stock stuff starts around $995, his custom work around $2000 or so. He's been in business for about 12 years. If this guy you're talking to is just starting out, I wouldn't expect to pay more unless he's using some REALLY pricey material or already has a celebrity endorser.

And FWIW, those heels do look a bit robust. OTOH, I'd be surprised if the neck moved a single millimeter after the guitar was used as a weapon in a zombie apocalypse...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I does look a bit like an upside-down Dean Cadillac.

I have 5 guitars by a luthier named Jon Kammerer- all of mine were guitars he had in stock, not customs. His in-stock stuff starts around $995, his custom work around $2000 or so. He's been in business for about 12 years. If this guy you're talking to is just starting out, I wouldn't expect to pay more unless he's using some REALLY pricey material or already has a celebrity endorser.

And FWIW, those heels do look a bit robust. OTOH, I'd be surprised if the neck moved a single millimeter after the guitar was used as a weapon in a zombie apocalypse...

He is just startin out making guitars for other people, but he has made many personal Strat style for himself over the years. From what he told me, its gonna cost abt $2000. I like the way they hang & feel & look. The Bloodwood was really robust at 13lbs, but it was an experiment & he said it was alot of work shaping & won't make another unless someone really wants to pay. BTW is heel another name for the body? Or is this a degrading term for guitars? I know people have their own opinions & I don't care if it is degrading the guitar. I have never heard this term used talking abt a guitar.
as has been said resale could be tricky, however if its built to your spec and sounds like you want chances are you wont want to ever sell it. I personally think the finishes are pretty but the body shapes and head stocks are not my cup of tea. But you may like it and if you dont can get whatever you want if its custom made for you so its hardly an argument against one.

my only argument would be you claiming to be a novice. I would consider myself a capable guitarist and I wouldn't consider a custom build as I dont feel I have truly experienced enough to know what I would really want. you may end up in a couple years time finding something completely different at half the price off the shelf in a guitar shop and falling out of love with your custom.
first off, aside from looks, it appears to be made of great quality. he gets real good cuts of wood and can finish them well. We can only say so much because we cannot feel or hear them. seems to get good hardware and some cool headstock desgns.

the bodies are ugly though. and yes the hell design is fender bad.

and yes, if your just starting i would advise against an expensive guitar because you dont really know what you want long term. in 6 months, you may realize you picked the wrong guitar.

your skills and tastes will change. perhaps the way you begin playing and what you play will change so much in a year from now you realize the tools you need to fully enhance your paying style.

you will also learn how certain builts and materials affect the tone, and what tone you want to suit your playing style.

you will realize how the guitar works with your effects and amp to change tone - like the output of the pickups and the controls.
2 grand for a guitar that is made in some guys back yard just isn't worth it to me. It's not like it's an original guitar or anything, it looks like a rip-off of several other guitars. When you fall out of love with it, and you will, you'll be lucky to get 400 on the used market. For the same 2 grand, if you insist on spending 2 grand on an instrument, you could buy a beautiful used gibson or fender that you could resell for the same as what you paid.
Quote by stepchildusmc
Aren't luthiers like Paul Reed Smith's guitars basicaly just Strat and Les Paul copies? I consider these guitars original, influenced by other bodies. Just sayin.
Last edited by mike9174 at Jan 15, 2012,
I would certainly not pay $2000 for a guitar made by someone without a reputation. What if he screws up something? A custom order is always a big risk, whoever builds it. A guy that has sold 3 guitars... Well, that isn't exactly reassuring.

Get quotes from all builders in your area and compare, big companies is going to charge more so your best bet is a local that has built his reputation and can show you guitars that he didn't just finish yesterday, but has stood the test of time.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
This guitar was love at first play.

Vintage Rare Guitars, London... One of the best guitar shops ever.

I played it and... Feel in love, it was like 'wow.'

It was sold as a 1983 lol... Once I had it, I rang up Gibson in America, and found the serial to be a 1996... Which actually made it that much more cooler, '96 was a cool year.
The bridge, the wood, the weight (It's chambered too!)... Love this guitar and love the after market Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro Humbuckers I put in and went for black because, that's what I wanted and now the pickups match the rings opose to before when they matched the toggle switch and label.

Thi is a very nice guitar as a starting off point for customisation .