Budget: 1200 at most but I can save up more I suppose. I'm making 500 dollars a week but mostly I'm trying to save half my paycheck.

Genres: I've been playing in pop punk bands recently. Sorta of looking for a similar sound to something like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLttiBQSxzo&feature=related
I also like playing hard rock and alt music though!

New or Used: Used would probably be best but new gear is fun sometimes.

Home or Gig: Predominately gigging.

Closest city: Greensboro NC

Current Gear:
Baja Tele with a hotrail in the bridge and a mini bucker in the neck.
Tom Delonge Strat.
I'm also about to buy a Les Paul 60's tribute studio.
Jet City JCA20H with the 212 cab.
Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde and MXR Flanger.

I'm looking for at least two channels and I don't really use that much gain if that helps!
Amps that have intrigued me so far:
Marshal JCM DSL
EVH 5150 III 50
Any more suggestions guys? Thanks.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Get a Marshall JCM800 head and use it with your cab.
Also a Marshall Vintage Modern would be really awesome. They're both much better than the other amps that you looked at.
I'll check a JCM 800 out. Not heard much about the Vintage Modern.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
The DSL would do it. Even a JCM900 would do it.
The only JCM800 worth owning is a 2203 or 2204 but they have just one channel. A clever man knows how to do that though. You just need an attenuator pad in front of the amp (or dial it in clean and use a boost for dirt).
So a Peavey Windsor would also do the deed. So would any number of Laneys. You may want to go try a VH100R.
The Vintage Modern is a solid recommendation too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 13, 2012,
The only thing about using a boost for dirt is I really want a natural overdrive, but I also need the cleans. I suppose I could get a windsor and scoop up a Roland Jazz Chorus though and be under budget.
Quote by barden1069
If you want natural overdrive the first method is how to do it.
something like this:

Or even better, an EQ pedal with the output cut back. The MXR10 is a good one because it has a global volume.
So you dial in the amp for your distortion and use one of those to cut back how much signal hits the front of the amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It's pretty much impossible to go wrong with a Single or Dual Rectifier for what you want.

I'll +1 the Laney VH100 suggestion. DSL is also a good option.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
im gonna have to +1 the vintage modern. its an absolutely amazing head. but dont take my word for it, rather anyones.

go and play one, dialing it in is a bit tricky
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Cathbard
If you want natural overdrive the first method is how to do it.
something like this:

Or even better, an EQ pedal with the output cut back. The MXR10 is a good one because it has a global volume.
So you dial in the amp for your distortion and use one of those to cut back how much signal hits the front of the amp.

That's really brilliant. I'll see if the stores allow me to try this. They should though since I'm spending so much money.
Quote by Tyler.Allain
I play pop punk/punk. I own a DSL. Its great. Don't expect good clean tones though.

If I could have an 800, I would take it over my DSL. Most of the suggestions that have been made are solid. Get whatever you can come by at a really good price.

I have a Les Paul Studio 60's tribute, if you don't have a noise suppressor you will need one. These guitars have two P90's with magnets of the same polarity meaning center position on the switch is not humbucking. Its REALLY annoying.

Keep the cab you have. Maybe sell the Jet City head if it adds to your budget?

I disagree on the Windsor suggestion. Friend had one. It was real muddy and lacked the clarity I feel is necessary for the genre.

My plan is to put minibuckers into it.

Quote by EspTro
im gonna have to +1 the vintage modern. its an absolutely amazing head. but dont take my word for it, rather anyones.

go and play one, dialing it in is a bit tricky

As all amps are suppose. I usually spend a lot of time messing with knobs anyways
Quote by barden1069
p-90 suck for punk IMO ... they dont capture the fast palmuting riff youll need .. you need higher output ( i dont care if B.Joe used them or somethign similar for the new green day stuff )

thats what kept me away form the limited 60's Gibson studio ( cause that baby has the slim taper neck .. oppose to the regular Studio with the big 50's neck ) .

get a high output humbucker the stock 500 in a gibson would do the job .

amp wise: JCM 900 sl-x , mesa boogie dual rectifier .. or plainly keep your JCA 20 or boost it with a tubescreamer should be fine .

p-90's for punk = NO . they dont cut it for palmmuting stuff .

and yes pop/punk punk rock is my main genre too .

dont pay 1000 for a studio and another 150 to switch the pickup already .. find a guitar that has the pickup you want right away . specially when you get in the 1000 $ range .

whats wrong with the jet city . ???
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Jan 14, 2012,
If I may add; a clean boost out front is still going to produce natural overdrive. All the distortion is still going to come from the valves. There are plenty of options to make a single channel amp more versatile without compromising on tone.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
If I may add; a clean boost out front is still going to produce natural overdrive. All the distortion is still going to come from the valves. There are plenty of options to make a single channel amp more versatile without compromising on tone.

Yeah I tried doing that tonight but its a little tricky to manipulate the volume on my guitar and strum and sing at the same time.

Skysc: I really just want something with more headroom.

311:Thanks dude I already checked some of these out. I really wanted the AC30 at first but the guy selling it has been a real dick with communication.

Also one of the bands I played with tonight used a Peavey XXX. It was pretty awesome sounding but he never used it on clean. Opinions?
Quote by barden1069
The XXX's cleans are useable but unremarkable. A bit of chorus and maybe a decent EQ pedal and they are pretty decent. Overall a fine amp, you could do a lot worse.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The marshall JCM 2000 is also pretty cool. Low end Marshall's = crap. High end Marshall = awesome, some of the best.
For pop punk, alt rock and hard rock the XXX should do fine. I'd put EL34s in it though. It is a pretty different from say an AC30 so best option is to just go play some amps so you can start to rule out certain things.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
For pop punk, alt rock and hard rock the XXX should do fine. I'd put EL34s in it though. It is a pretty different from say an AC30 so best option is to just go play some amps so you can start to rule out certain things.

Of course. The AC30 had just been one of my favorites.

Quote by kyle62
Used Splawn or a Ceriatone 800 clone would be great. Also maybe a Laney VH100R.

Funny story, I dated a girl back in like 2008 who's dad knew Scott from way back in the day. I tried his Splawn and just didn't dig it.

Monday my band's bassist and I are going to be going to some shops to try out some amps.
I at least now have a short list of a few I should try.
Quote by barden1069