So I bought a Hot Rod DeVille 410 second hand a few months ago and I'm starting to think it's about time to get my tubes changed.

I play in a ska-punk band. I'm thinking Winged "C"s but I used those in my old ValveKing and that seemed like too obvious of a choice. So I'm asking UG because you guys know WAY more about tubes than I do.

If there's a tube thread somewhere that I somehow missed, point me in the right direction and I'll close this up. Thanks, guys!
Which tubes? The 6L6's?
SED are the best modern 6L6 but not by that much really. JJ make a great 6L6.
For the preamp, well that needs a more detailed explanation of what you hope to achieve.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The power amp tubes don't really change gain amount unless you are cranking the amp. I can vouch for the JJ 6L6s being really nice.
Unless you know you have good power tubes anything else is pissing in the wind. Replace the power tubes and then think about where you want to go. Lots of options. Come back after you've done the 6L6's and given them a week or two to burn in.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Edit: ^ I agree with that too

TS - gain and cleans,

that's more preamp but I agree with Cath

I've got =C= is the Splawn and they are great but not sure if I'd buy them again. JJ's are good for the money. I've heard good things about the Ruby STRs - maybe check into those.

Not 100% on your amp but most amps the first preamp tube V1 (the one closest to the insert jack) handles your cleans. I'd maybe get a Tung Sol for V1, JJs and the a JAN Phillips 5751 for your last preamp slot (Phase Inverter)
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 13, 2012,
If you want more power tube breakup you do know that you can stick 6V6's in those don't you? JJ 6V6's are the go without a doubt. That's the best thing that JJ make. You can usually just chuck them in those amps and they'll be ok even without a rebias. I kid you not. Maybe buy a pair just to experiment with, they aren't very expensive. For the price of The SED's you could buy both those and the 6L6's.
May be just what you are looking for.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100