Hi! I'm Pyro, I'm 17 Argentinian boy. (So probably I'll misspell, excuse me for that lol). This is my last year in school, and I'm going to go to music college, and I was wondering, with all the pop music (Pop, dubstep, electro, reggaeton and so on..) if the new wave of musicians have a chance to bring back Rock-Metal.
I love Queen, Metallica, and every kind of rock, blues, glam metal, hard rock, sleaze, oldschool rap, metal, heavy metal, speed metal (Openminded uh! :P) and I'm tired of this shit, there are just a few actual good bands of rock-metal that worth buying their CD.
I know we can change this, but I wanted to ask you how would you do that?
I'm seeing a lot of sleaze-rock bands, glam, hard a lot of the suckballs but some of them are cool. (Crashdiet, Reckless love, Steel Panther, Babylons bombs..) and I think Sweden and England is giving to the rockers a place to create something, but here in America (All america, not just the USA) it'd be kinda hard..

Sorry for making it long, I'll glad to see some answers..
See ya people!
that implies all the good musics gone...there plenty of good stuff out there you just have to find it

also...theres other gengres besides rock that are great
Quote by shadypyro
(Openminded uh! :P)

Quote by shadypyro
I'm tired of this shit!

Only on UG's forums
I know, but what I meant, theres nothing like The Beatles or something like that, now music is just bussiness, its like a formula to get more money and not do something cool, and express something. In my country there's no good music, it all suckballs, theorical suckballs, every song uses the same beat, the same tones, and stupid lyrics.
And I think pop music died with Michael Jackson, dispite the fact that Lady gaga has a great show. So all that left is rock.

Quote by jbridge90
Only on UG's forums

Come on dude, I'm openminded in music, not in shit. You're a musician right, take a look at the musical structure of today's music, and it's lyrics..
Friday fridaaaaaaaaay, come on, you know what I mean.
Last edited by shadypyro at Jan 13, 2012,
Quote by shadypyro
Come on dude, I'm openminded in music, not in shit. You're a musician right, take a look at the musical structure of today's music, and it's lyrics..
Friday fridaaaaaaaaay, come on, you know what I mean.

Rebecca Black's parents paid a music production company to write a song and record her singing it as a present to her. It's customary for that company to put the songs they've recorded on their YouTube, and that one just happened to go viral because of the recognition of how bad it is. So using that song to prove a point is kind of lame. Secondly, the music business has always been just that: business. 60 years ago a man named Colonel Tom picked up a young Elvis Presley and conditioned him into a performer with just the right 'stuff' that sells(at that time a mix of a young white attractive man playing a style typically done by blacks), and they made a ton of money together. Yes, some of the music today goes by a formula of what sells, but it's no different that how it's always been. Acts with true talent usually shine through anyways, the problem is that the way people play music nowadays is quite different than how it used to be. My point is that things changed, and 20 years from now our children/friends kids/random teenagers will be bitching about music isn't the same as it used to be.

Cue: "The Circle of Life"

Edit: Also, the answer to your question is not likely, because the style of The Beatles, and Queen, and the other older bands you like go with their generation, and trying to replicate that usually just doesn't work. That's why no one takes Steel Panther that seriously as a band.
Last edited by jbridge90 at Jan 13, 2012,
Quote by jbridge90
Rebecca Black's parents paid a music production company to write a song and record her singing it as a present to her. It's customary for that company to put the songs they've recorded on their YouTube, and that one just happened to go viral because of the recognition of how bad it is. So using that song to prove a point is kind of lame. Secondly, the music business has always been just that: business. 60 years ago a man named Colonel Tom picked up a young Elvis Presley and conditioned him into a performer with just the right 'stuff' that sells(at that time a mix of a young white attractive man playing a style typically done by blacks), and they made a ton of money together. Yes, some of the music today goes by a formula of what sells, but it's no different that how it's always been. Acts with true talent usually shine through anyways, the problem is that the way people play music nowadays is quite different than how it used to be. My point is that things changed, and 20 years from now our children/friends kids/random teenagers will be bitching about music isn't the same as it used to be.

Cue: "The Circle of Life"

Edit: Also, the answer to your question is not likely, because the style of The Beatles, and Queen, and the other older bands you like go with their generation, and trying to replicate that usually just doesn't work. That's why no one takes Steel Panther that seriously as a band.

No body takes seriously Steel Panther because they're a parody band. Take a look man, they toured a lot, and played in Ozzfest.

No offense but, I hear exactly the same thing from everyone, is easy to say "The circle of life, grow up, there's no solution". You call yourself a musician and you take shit from granted, while you're sitting on a pc showing how intelligent you are, while others try to do sometime about it. I guess you should take things serious and stop being a smart-ass.
And you are wrong, a new wave of hard rock bands are coming, if you don't wanna take it it's your problem, please don't off-topic my thread anymore.

Sorry if I was rude.
Quote by shadypyro
No body takes seriously Steel Panther because they're a parody band. Take a look man, they toured a lot, and played in Ozzfest.

No offense but, I hear exactly the same thing from everyone, is easy to say "The circle of life, grow up, there's no solution". You call yourself a musician and you take shit from granted, while you're sitting on a pc showing how intelligent you are, while others try to do sometime about it. I guess you should take things serious and stop being a smart-ass.
And you are wrong, a new wave of hard rock bands are coming, if you don't wanna take it it's your problem, please don't off-topic my thread anymore.

Sorry if I was rude.

How is he being a smart-ass? There was 'shit music' in every single generation. Deep Purple and Metallica were never part of the mainstream, they were overshadowed by the more radio-friendly pop music. People just had to look a bit further to satisfy their tastes on music, just like you should be doing today.

Why are there no huge bands which base their music on attempting to emulate classic rock? Because it's over and done with, it was a style of music that defined a generation. Everything has already been made and I can't bear to listen to posers who try and make classic rock. Embrace the current generation and make something fresh and special. Find your own sound, just like Led Zeppelin did back in their day.

Music these days is more about being experimental. Using different sonic textures, for example. Just about every melody has already been created, so now it's about innovation and how you use those melodies you come up with.

Oh and in all honesty, there hasn't truly been a pioneering mainstream band since The Beatles. I'm not bashing on classic music (The Beatles, The Doors and Black Sabbath are my favourite bands), but stop being so damn pretentious.
West Ham United
Quote by shadypyro

Doesn't that answer your own question?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by shadypyro
(Openminded uh! :P)

Haha, you can't list a bunch of metal/rock genres and say you're open minded, especially when you're complaining about the lack of "good" music.

The whole "Today's music sucks man! What happened to Led Zeppelin?!" argument is so ubiquitous it makes me cringe. I can guarantee you that every generation thinks that. Punk music was created in retaliation to bands like Pink Floyd and their ilk because it was seen as wanky, upper-class music (not that I have anything against Pink Floyd or prog rock, I'm just pointing out that people always seem hate the music of the day). You have to realise that there is sugary, manufactured pop in ever decade. The only reason people talk about how great bands from the 60s/70s/80s are is because we've had a fair while to filter out the garbage that was also present during that time.

Don't expect to find great music by sitting by your radio and waiting for it to start playing. You have to go out there and find it yourself.
Quote by Telestar
Trust me man, it's Smoke on the Water. Deep Purple only wrote one song.
jbridge90 made a lot of sense, actually; besides, there is plenty of good music nowadays. If by "bringing it back" you mean topping the charts, that's another story. Simply put, you can't force a certain kind of music to a mass audience, but you can always promote your own. If you find that mainstream/popular rock bands have become complacent (and I would agree with that), start digging for more obscure bands, you're bound to find something good eventually.
I don't have a signature
Just try and make good music. Why do you need some kind of holy mission to bring back good music and vanquish the bad? And really, you aren't looking hard enough if you think good music is dead. Try The Answer, Volbeat or Them Crooked Vultures if you like new bands with a classic sound
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
hi, im from Uruguay and i believe theres some good music coming up from the underground scene, both from Uruguay and Argentina, one good example is this band: http://soundcloud.com/dosis-rock, i dont think they are sucking balls lyrically or musically. You just have to look a little deeper and you will find plenty of good music.
Rock and Metal never went anywhere, in my opinion, the metal scene is better than it's ever been with bands such as Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Rhapsody Of Fire and Edguy making music, and money, of course. There'll always be someone to listen to your music if there's a market for it, and some of the music you hate can have incredibly clever melodies in their songs, though, if you look, the mainstream market is dominated by young girls, you won't catch a thirty year old man listening to Bieber, but you'll definitely find hundreds of them buying his album for their daughter, and so they make more of that sort of stuff, because everyone wants to make money. In my band, I never lose sight of what our potential audience will enjoy, because I and everyone involved would like to enjoy success.

For the 'new wave of metal', look at the Metal that Finland is putting out, Imaginaerum was quite possibly the album of 2011, and one of the best albums ever released in the Symphonic Metal genre, Children of Bodom are doing extremely well, still playing great music and enjoying a lot of success. You can look anywhere in Europe, Kreator appear to be gaining popularity when I last saw them, and Wolf are soon going to be huge, bringing back Traditional Metal, as Legions Of Bastards was a very successful album. Blind Guardian are mind-blowing as always, as are Sonata Arctica, and Dragonforce's new singer Marc Hudson will develop into the best singer of this generation if he takes care of his voice.

Just look around and you'll find lots of great music, and there are a fair few bands out of Argentina, so you'll be able to start the band you want to start and I hope you can possibly open your mind a little and start making some amazing music and enjoying a lot of success.
I think I found the problem here - it's difficult to listen around for good music when your head's buried in your ass.
Quote by shadypyro
You call yourself a musician and you take shit from granted, while you're sitting on a pc showing how intelligent you are, while others try to do sometime about it. I guess you should take things serious and stop being a smart-ass.

First, he hasn't called himself a musician in this thread, but that's beside the point. He's not taking "shit from granted", he's actually explained the most logical and direct answer to your question. Who the **** are you to tell him to "take things serious" when you know nothing about him? You're just another angry kid trying to prove a really tired point that makes no sense to begin with.

I would know, seeing as a few years ago I used to be very much like you. I was angry at pretty much the entire industry, and I would have said something exactly along the lines of what you just have. Want to know what I did? I grew up. I shut the hell up with "this is what's wrong with the industry" and I started getting serious about making music of my own; not to change anything about the industry, but because there's nothing I can do to persuade everyone that they're listening to shitty music. Taste is completely subjective, and stuff that's popular is going to sell - it's as simple as that. With all the resources available today, if you can't find stuff worth listening to, you're not looking hard enough. As the above poster said, there's plenty of "good" rock and metal out today, you just have to search for it.

And speaking of which, since you're lashing out at him for no reason, what exactly have YOU done about this situation other than complain?
Quote by shadypyro

...and I can guarantee you that plenty of people will think the "new wave of hard rock bands" is absolute shit, despite what you think. Again, it's all about taste, and telling people they're listening to bad music is both pointless and insulting.

His response wasn't off topic, it was a very logical answer. The fact that you disagree with something (albeit with nothing to back up your point) doesn't give you the right to try and ban him from your thread.

Get over yourself, honestly.
I think you'll all find that the only music worth listening to is Jazz. By Jazz I mean Miles Davies and by Miles Davies I mean track 3 off of Kind Of Blue.

Other than that, what's the point. Nothing ever has and ever will beat that. Nothing. Everyone's just trying to copy Miles. Music began and ended with Miles.

And I'm pretty open-minded about music. I listen to everything. Jazz, jazz fusion, freestyle jazz. But I'll only listen to Blue in Green.

Y' get me?

TS, get over yourself. All genres have good musicians and bad musicians, those musicians get together and form bands; good and bad bands. There will forever be good and bad music being created. It's just what's good on your list won't necessarily be on somebody elses good list.

So go ahead, lead the revolution. Let us know when you've won. I'm going to listen to Blue in Green.
Quote by Myshadow46_2
I think you'll all find that the only music worth listening to is Jazz. By Jazz I mean Miles Davies and by Miles Davies I mean track 3 off of Kind Of Blue.

No, you're wrong, how stupid can you be? I don't like listening to jazz, so therefore it's crap and everybody should think so.

Wait until the new wave of Miles Davis clones and you'll see what I mean.
F**k you man!

We can change the musical world:

I was wondering, with all the pop music (Pop, dubstep, electro, reggaeton and so on..) if the new wave of musicians have a chance to bring back Jazz.
I love Miles Davies, Miles Davies, and every kind of Jazz, Jazz, jazz, jazz, jazz, jazz, jazz, jazz (Openminded uh! :P) and I'm tired of this shit, there are just a few actual good bands of jazz worth buying their CD.
I know we can change this, but I wanted to ask you how would you do that?
I'm seeing a lot of jazz, jazz, a lot of the suckballs but some of them are cool. (Miles Davies, Miles Davies, Miles Davies..) and I think Sweden and England is giving to the jazzers to create something, but here in America (All america, not just the USA) it'd be kinda hard..
Last edited by Myshadow46_2 at Jan 13, 2012,
Things go around in cycles, rock will be mainstream again. Then though I'll be pissed when everyone claims to love my favourite bands but just like them cuz they're "cool" again. Good music is still there, you just have to not care that it's not popular anymore.

Also

All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Jan 13, 2012,
Quote by Myshadow46_2
F**k you man!

We can change the musical world:

Haha dont worry man, I get it

Quote by shadypyro

Sorry if I was rude.

Well this thread kind of blew up while i slept. Your response to my post showed how immature you are, but whatever.

As for the attacking me for not making music, I am. www.facebook.com/betweensunlightandshadows.
It's clearly rock, of some kind, so you can't really say I don't care about rock music. Of course, you will probably attack it for, well, some reason or another. You just sound like an angsty teen who needs to lash out about something.

P.S. - I'm still looking for a good vocalist! Hit me up if you have the capabilities to record your own vocals and send them to me!

Edit: Oh and Steel Panther didn't always used to be a parody band, they were trying to play 80's style music after nobody really cared about it anymore, so they switched to cover's and writing their own songs to parody the scene in the 80's. So like I said, no on ever took them seriously
Last edited by jbridge90 at Jan 13, 2012,
I think the man has a point. I have not seen a good performer with ANYTHING to say get big since.. what.. Marilyn ****ing Manson? And he kind of spiralled downwards a DECADE ago. The closest thing you come to anything interesting today is what.. Lady Gaga? Who's fecking gimmick is that she kinda dresses funny?

Of course there is good music out there, and (to me) even more importantly, good artists out there - but they never quite get what they deserve, and therefore they never become as good as they could be.

What it really takes is for one artist/musician to break it big and influence people, then the mainstream will open up to other kinds of things, but there is noone exciting enough. It seems to always be either really good musician with no don't have an ounce of creativity and artistry in them, or directionless artists, not talented enough to really put their mind to use.

It takes something big to change the views of a generation - it has been done before, many times, but since the beginning of the second millenia there has not been anything interesting to surface from the underground, really.

And i just realized, sleep deprivation makes you write long posts in random forums. Good night and jihad, everyone.
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
Quote by jbridge90
Edit: Oh and Steel Panther didn't always used to be a parody band, they were trying to play 80's style music after nobody really cared about it anymore, so they switched to cover's and writing their own songs to parody the scene in the 80's. So like I said, no on ever took them seriously

I'm unsure why people are pointing out Steel Panther in this thread, especially so if they're trying to point out lack of success and good music. Dudes, they're a multi-national band, everyone in this thread from Australia to Afghanistan know exactly who they are. Are they being taken seriously? Well yeah! Enough to invest a crapload of money promoting them.

And they were/are an incredibly popular covers band, who also write original music.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Northernmight
I think the man has a point. I have not seen a good performer with ANYTHING to say get big since.. what.. Marilyn ****ing Manson? And he kind of spiralled downwards a DECADE ago. The closest thing you come to anything interesting today is what.. Lady Gaga? Who's fecking gimmick is that she kinda dresses funny?.

Lady Gaga is a kickass singer. And I hate her music for the most part.
Quote by Northernmight
The closest thing you come to anything interesting today is what.. Lady Gaga? Who's fecking gimmick is that she kinda dresses funny?

I note in your sig you like black metal?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Lady gaga may be your reference for current interesting music, but there is still interesting music being made in the modern era, YOU JUST HAVE TO LOOK FOR IT.

The human mind likes things in neat little packages, things like a steady beat in 4/4. It knows where the accent should be, it likes the accent where it should be, it hates being "tricked"

With that said, Tool makes interesting music, Mirrorthrone, Animals as Leaders.... if Rush made another album, Im sure it would be interesting.... oh, Necrophagist. Thats interesting....Rage against the machine? Opeth? Holy **** (not really interesting, just.... relaxing and different.)

You gotta look for it. It doesnt sell very well.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.