Hello fellow UGers.

I need help with my home studio I recently setup.
For the last few weeks, I've had my headphones and my speakers (which connect through a 3.5mm jack) plugged in to my laptop through the headphone jack. The problem with that was, I would only ever hear backing track. I could never hear myself and the backing track. So I bought a couple of RCA to 1/4" jack so I could plug my speakers directly into my mixer. Now, the problem I have is that whenever I press the 2TK to Main button, the mixer includes whatever is coming through the USB interface, overlapping the recording with the backing track plus the vocals. So I can only ever have either the live vocal, or the backing track. Otherwise the mixer includes everything in the recording. So basically, I'm asking how can I have the backing track coming through the mixer out through the headphones, while also being able to hear the live vocals, thus only recording the vocals WITHOUT the backing track.

I'm terrible at explaining things, plus my tech language isn't the best, so if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Thanks.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
Could always start your crotch on fire. Fire kills everything.

Quote by Firenze
I used to rub potato chips on my penis and eat them.

Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
With all those spelling mistakes, I wouldn't be surprised if you had been wanking when you typed that post.
So do you want just the main ruthums, drums, etc, coming out the speakers or head phones without hearing the vocals that you are recording?

You should be able to just mute whats coming out of the speakers to just headphones. There also might be a setting in the DAW that your using to where you don't hear what your recording when your recording over a track. In your prefrences there might be options for recoding/playback while recording new track. I'm kind of confused on what you mean, but I should stop drinking first thing in the morning after work. This probably didn't help.
Sorry for confusing you, I want the main rhythms, e.g. the guitar track to come through the headphones, obviously not through the speakers. But I would also like to be able to hear the vocals I'm recording while I'm recording. I've fiddled around with all the settings on the DAW (I'm using reaper), and I've concluded it is definitely the mixer, since whenever I have anything coming through the speakers, I see the signal coming through, as well as the vocals. The problem is the signal coming through from the DAW, which is the guitar track, is included in the recording, thus doubling the recording. I'm just confused on what I need to have settings-wise on the mixer so that I can hear the guitar track without it being integrated into the vocal track.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Firenze

Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
With all those spelling mistakes, I wouldn't be surprised if you had been wanking when you typed that post.
It's a relatively cheap 'Boston Engineering' mixer. It connects straight from the mixer to my laptop via USB. To be fair it may just be that I made the wrong choice when I bought the mixer, but I just wanted to know if I was missing something.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Firenze

Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
This would be alot easier for you to do if you were using a computer based DAW recording program such as Reaper, then you can assign which channel you want what track to go though on your outputs. Doing it with a mixer board is just over complicated.
Quote by ethan_hanus
This would be alot easier for you to do if you were using a computer based DAW recording program such as Reaper, then you can assign which channel you want what track to go though on your outputs. Doing it with a mixer board is just over complicated.

This.

One of my friends suggested I get an interface, so I got the FIRESTUDIO MOBILE from Presonus. He said that it basically turns an analog signal into a digital signal and your computer will handle it better, rathar than a mixer. Which is what I used before and got a better sound quality. I'm probably not using it right, and I'm a noob at this. I really can't understand the differintion between them. Use what works, and I see your mix up.
If you can provide model numbers of all your interface gear might be able to work something out for ya. Im just not familiar or even know which one you have to know what its inputs/outputs are or how it interacts with the pc..