Hello All,
So I recently bought a blackstar HT-100 head used. I've played guitar for a while but I've always used combo amps (mostly fender if that matters). Now I need to find a cabinet to go with the head and I have no clue how to go about finding the right one. How much does the cabinet influence my tone? Are there electrical/technical specifications that limit my options? If I'm looking for super clean cleans and doing all my overdrive with pedals, are there specific cabinets that I should look at? When buying used are there common pitfalls that I should watch for? Thanks for all your help.

Daniel
Cabinets definitely affect your tone -- number of speakers, make and model of speakers used (different speakers have different voicings), volume and design of the cabinet (open v. closed back, especially). You also have to make sure that the resistance (ohm) rating of the cab is equal to or higher than the ohm rating of the output jack on your amp.

If you're looking for really clean cleans, try to find a cabinet with a higher wattage rating than your amplifier, which reduces your chances of getting speaker distortion.
Hi, I'm Peter
Cabinets greatly effect your tone. There is a lot of research to be done if you are up for it. If you're in the States Avatar has good prices and tons of options. They describe on their website the differences in speakers and the different back options. I suggest you start there.

+1 ^

I can recommend Avatar as well.

Dirk nailed most of it.

Make sure you match ohms always and make sure your cab will have at least the same number of watts as the head (100) if not higher. 125-150% is usually a good rule of thumb.

What kind of music do you play and what is your budget?
Quote by Daniel Whitford
Now I need to find a cabinet to go with the head and I have no clue how to go about finding the right one. Are there electrical/technical specifications that limit my options?

311 hit most of em. your amp has a bunch outputs, so you can facilitate all kinds of impedances. i'd go for a 8 ohm or 16 ohm cabinet rated for at least 100 watts.

Quote by Daniel Whitford
If I'm looking for super clean cleans and doing all my overdrive with pedals, are there specific cabinets that I should look at?

depends. try some open back (louder, less low end, less punchy) and closed back cabs (tighter projection space, more low end, punchier) and see what you prefer. try out some different speakers, if you like headroom and clean tones then you'll prefer speakers with a higher power handling ratings.

i'd go to guitar center with my amp (or local store, w/e) and try out a few cabinets to see what i liked. then i'd make an educated decision and order a cab from avatar.

Quote by Daniel Whitford
When buying used are there common pitfalls that I should watch for?

buy local, you can find awesome deals. i have picked up awesome local cabs for cheap ('71 sunn 6x10, '72 marshall 4x12, '76 fender 2x12, 70's marshall 1x18, etc). the reason for awesome local deals is cuz shipping is pretty expensive for big and heavy cabs.

a cab can only be lemon a couple ways:

- structural damage - the cabinets is actually broken. i don't see this often, but sometimes people drop cabs. good deal sometimes for harvesting speakers.

- blown speakers - simple, they turned the amp up too loud and blew the cone or melted the voice coil.

- bad wiring - sometimes people can screw up and amp's wiring. fortunately this is simple to fix.

- aesthetics - this is my fav, cuz i don't care. a jacked up ugly amp can be a diamond in the rough. my fav shop had an old ugly 4x12 for 250 (an original sound city with greenbacks)

i love finding underrated cabs. one of my fav cabs now is a crate 1x12 i got for 75 bucks, i sold the V30 for 100 bucks and now i use whatever speaker i have laying around (G12M-25, 1228K, CTS squareback, etc).
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae