I bought my first real amp a year ago, a vox vt50. For those who don't know the series it's a combo amp that simulates famous guitar sounds.

Turns out this was a good choice for a beginner for the simple reason that it gave me access to a lot of sounds without any accessories. I've recently started writing and playing originals with my bands, and we're looking to start recording some demos in the near future.

At the moment I'm having fun with my amp it's worked well. What I'm wondering is; how much can I depend on the simulation of the VT when it comes to recording? I'm completely lost when it comes to equipment in general, and I guess the VT has left me spoiled in that respect; I wouldn't really know what tools to use to achieve the same sound out of any other amp. Should I be looking to a new, better amp and accessories to go along with it, or am I fine for now?

Bonus question: For a complete beginner in the area, where can I get started learning about equipment?
most people don't think sims sound that good it seems. The only modeling processor I have heard that sounds pretty good in the axefx, but that is a pretty expensive unit.

I have heard people enjoy the line6 pod, but I haven't had any experience with it myself.

If you are going to be recording in a decent studio, they will often have a selection of gear for you to toy with to find the right sound. But thats more studio time which equals more money.

I would suggest recording with your setup and listening to it however you would normally listen to an album/song. If it sounds good, go for it. If not, explore other solutions.

There is no reason to spend money before you know you have to.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
It depends on what tones you want. I had a Vt100 a couple of years back, and I thought that the clean / slightly overdriven sounds were quite good and convincing, but the distorted ones lacked that little something. But overall it's a good amp, and I wouldn't say that you need another one for recording demos.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
amplitube is definitely something to look into. or if ur on a budget just pick up something like an irig (or any kind of usb interface) and use the fender FUSE software (its free). that way u'll have all the modeling stuff on ur computer and then u just plug ur guitar right into the computer and start playing.

also, you could pick up a looper with some sort of USB (such as the boss rc series) or an sd card slot (such as the digitech), record into that and then transfer it to your computer
Amps with built in effects are ok but if you want a lot more control over the sound you'll get you should probably get a separate effects pedal of multi-effects pedal. I use a Boss GT-10 and it works great. You can get pretty much what ever kind of sound you want out of it because it has so many different options. It's a bit pricey though ($500) but its one of the higher end multi effects. If you dont like boss you could try a Line 6 POD which has models similar to the GT-10. As far as the amp goes, if your going to be playing live through that amp you would probably be better off having something 100w or bigger. If your going to be playing live or recording then upgrading would be a good idea.
Quote by Ahteh
What I'm wondering is; how much can I depend on the simulation of the VT when it comes to recording?

It's more to do with depending on your ears, and those of your bandmates. If you have a sound that you and they like and have become used to then that's probably the best start point. If you go changing it because you are going to record, then you may end up with something you are not happy with, not matter how much or little you spend.

If your sounds are based around one or two amp models in the VT, then perhaps try out those specific real-world amps , but bear in mind your band mates may notice the difference and may or may not like it!

Trust your own ears with the sound you want, irrespective of the kit.
Quote by Tyler.Allain
It ultimately comes down the fact that you will have to live with the tone you get on your record. If you don't like it, you are going to be unhappy with the final product. If you like the tone of your VT record with it. Then after upgrade to a new amp and get used to getting a good sound out of it. After that never look back.

True. The Stones never re-recorded Street Fighting Man when they moved up to better equipment. They recorded it to the best of their abilities and with the kit they had at the time, and moved on to other songs and other gear.

Tyler's message is perhaps the most important point in this thread. Record the song until you are happy with it and leave it to the ages after that. It's not yours anymore., you only gave birth to it!
If you can buy online, then, source your equipment there... The more you buy/get to use, the more experience you'd get.
Quote by Ahteh
Bonus question: For a complete beginner in the area, where can I get started learning about equipment?
Here.