This question goes out to those who have played ESP Thin-U profile and Gibson 60' slim tapered profile. More specifically the neck of a ESP Eclipse I CTM and Gibson Les Paul '60 Traditional Pro.

Now. I know the ESP thin-U neck very well but have never had my hand on a Gibson '60 neck. If I had to describe the ESP neck it would be thin and somewhat rounded across the whole neck. What would the 60' neck feels like compared to it?

My Edwards Explorer might have somewhat similar neck profile to Gibson since it does not feels like any ESP neck I've known. It is still thin but with less rounded neck contour which makes the area toward the fretboard edges feel somewhat 'sharper'. Might this be the neck profile I've been wondering all along?

This will probably make a good impact on my decision whenever I will go for an ESP Eclipse I CTM or Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro. It's a shame my local store doesn't have these in stock right now.

Other neck profiles that I am familar with are Ibanez Wizard II, Warmoth Standard Thin (Fender Modern C-Shape) and Gibson 50'.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Jan 13, 2012,
You can play baseball with any lp neck. Imagine a 61 fender neck but slightly thicker. Go try one.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
The 60 carve is close to the Warmoth Standard Thin you've tried. It's a bit fatter but the shape is similar, less "shoulder" like the 50s neck carve has. The ESP Thin-U is thinner than a 60s and flatter at the back, with less shoulder.

Keep in mind that the hand finishing means there's some variation in the 60s carve between instruments.
Gibson necks vary. You could play a hundred 60s necks you like then find one you hate. I've played Gibsons with the 60s neck that felt thicker than the 50s neck sitting next to them. You absolutely can not guess or gauge how any given Gibson is going to feel. This is why you can't - or at least, shouldn't - buy Gibsons online. You need to try it out for yourself. I've got a Gibson DC LP behind me that has a neck no thicker, just slightly rounder, than the ESP next to it. That's meant to be a 50s neck. I've also had a Gibson with a 50s neck that was near an inch thick.

Play it for yourself. It is the only way you can know if it'll be any good for you. Gibson might as well not bother naming different neck contours since they clearly make no effort to keep any kind of consistency between them.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Yeah. I've always kinda known something is wrong with Gibson capability to keep neck standards throughout the years. This company just cannot make it any easier for us, can they. This is why I stated the specific model Les Paul Traditional 1960. This model is said to specifically made for the Nordic market. If anyone had played that guitar please let me know how the neck feels like.

The ride to the nearest guitar store which has this guitar in shop will cost me as much as shipping it back if I order it online, saves the hassles of traveling.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Well, if it's definitely marked as 1960 then I would expect it is somewhat more likely to have a thin neck. Gibson are inconsistent but it's uncommon for a 60s neck to be very thick.

That said, Epiphone sometimes use the 1960 neck and unlike Gibson, Epiphone are very consistent. Their 60s neck is what the Gibson ones aim to be. Having owned several Epis with the 60s neck and owned and tried many Gibsons with the 60s neck, I can say that even at its very thinnest the Gibson/Epi 60s neck is barely a whole millimetre thicker than the ESP Thin U and it is a slightly rounder shape. The average Gibson 60s neck (and the Epiphone version) feels, to me, about 1mm thicker than the ESP Thin U at the 1st fret and 1.5mm-2mm thicker at the higher frets, and considerably rounder. I've never felt an Epiphone 60s or any Gibson 60s neck with the same flattened centre that ESPs have. So if you already think ESP necks feel quite rounded then the Gibson will definitely feel even rounder. It certainly will be thicker, but not by all that much - I would be very surprised if it actually hindered your playing at all.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
agree about not 2 neck feeling the same .. but the 60's slim taper is a confortable IMO oppose to the 50's round neck .. the "baseball bat " .

Epiphone neck are bigger than Gibby .. the epiphone slim tape is still huge IMO .

the gibby should be confo ..

i tried :

Gibby les paul studio ( 50's rounded neck )
epiphone les paul standard ( slim taper )
Gibby les paul studio limited run 60's with slim taper .

i end up ordering an Agile 3200 Slim .. the most confy of all for my small hand . its slim as a ibanez , more slim than my stratocaster u.s.a . amazing .

but go with a 60's slim taper if you go gibson .. it wont be as slim as a Ibanez but close to a strat or something similar . its not the "baseball bat " .

if you want reallly slim .. try Agile Slim .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Jan 15, 2012,
The 60's profiles I've played have all been uncharacteristically flat. I own a couple "Thin U" LTD's, and they both have a consistently round profile. The Gibson isn't consistent - it starts off rounded at the edges, but then flattens out in the middle. I really dislike the 60's profile, because I like consistently rounded necks.

The 50's profile, on the other hand, feels really nice. So you can kind of use that as a guide.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I like both. The thin U is little thinner and has a flat spot down the center, the 60's is just round but a tad thicker. Both play good, thin-u plays faster.
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
What I dislike about Gibson necks ('50's and '60's necks) is the Nitro finish. Sticky stuff when you are sweating.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
the sticky neck wears off over time as the finish continues to cure.
Quote by Skysc

Epiphone neck are bigger than Gibby .. the epiphone slim tape is still huge IMO .

Gibby les paul studio ( 50's rounded neck )
epiphone les paul standard ( slim taper )
Gibby les paul studio limited run 60's with slim taper .

The neck on an Epi Standard is not the 60s slim taper that gibson uses. Epiphone have several necks: their own standard neck found on the Standard, Custom, most of their SGs, almost all of their archtops and their Firebirds; the Gibson 50s profile; the gibson 60s slim taper; slim taper D; standard slim taper; asymmetric; Slash profile; Joe Perry profile (actually just a 60s slim taper but with a particular finish). Their 50s and 60s ones are what the gibsons are meant to be.