Page 1 of 2
Name musicians, link songs, or elaborate. I don't think this is as clear as with other techniques. Although, I may just be ignorant.

I'm asking in here because I like this part of the forum.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
I swear if you listen to Zakk Wylde's, there must be some kinda 3rd in there! It's that wide and aggressive.

In total contrast, Robben Ford never adds vibrato to bends.

Of course, Yngwie is absolute king.
Last edited by mdc at Jan 13, 2012,
"Good" vibrato can range all over the place but I'd say what makes it "good" is consistency of speed and degree of the bend. I notice people when they can't use vibrato in time or in tune. Aside from that, it's pretty much to taste. Stevie and Zakk have really deep vibratos where B.B King has a much shallower one.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
It's good as long as it stays in tune and time. Don't just shake your hand and pretend it sounds good. Vibrato does have pitch and rhythm.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Zakk Wylde has my favorite vibrato, but most famous blues guitarists have great vibratos. A good vibrato is essentially a small deviation of the pitch of your note, repeatedly and swiftly. Some deviate more than others, and quicker than others, but all in all, it's a bunch of small bends done fast yet musically.
Perlman, Rostropovich, Szeryng

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
From a purely technical standpoint, it seems to me that the only thing that constitutes "good vibrato" is that the guitarist has good control over it. Otherwise, how it's used, whether it's fast or slow, and so on, seem much more a matter of preference. It seems like wide and slower vibrato is generally considered "good vibrato" though.
Like others have said, control and context. If you're playing a song in 3/4 time, your vibrato rhythm shouldnt be in 4/4. On the other hand, if you're playing in 4/4 and you can vibrato triplets, it catches the ear that much more. Rhythm and timing of vibrato is huge, not just depth.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by mrbabo91
Suprised that no-one has mentioned gary moore

NO KIDDING.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3-TgDjcBL0

I would like to add that a good vibrato is one that changes. Having the same vibrato throughout the solo can get a little boring. Vibrato variation can add some flair and expressiveness.

If I had to choose one artist for vibrato, it would be Steve Vai. Only when you try to nail his vibrato do you realize how much time he invested in perfecting it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AVXax5AXOA
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

marty friedman, i mean cmon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQzF6yEwK9k , the passages around 0.45.
i personally think that vibrato is one of the most important parts of your playing. i've never been fascinated by a guitarist whoms vibrato i didn't like. for me, vibrato is all about making the note come to life, making the note sing, cry, wail
Last edited by ArtemR at Jan 13, 2012,
Jeff Loomis, John Petrucci, Vai, Satch, SRV, Govan etc etc

Pretty much all those Virtuosos

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Greg Howe just occurred to me. How about that one?
Quote by mdc
Greg Howe just occurred to me. How about that one?

The slide or horizontal vibrato? Yea, it's cool. I never developed it really, but I know some guys who use it well (actually, one guy I know uses it because he actually took skype lessons with Howe himself).
Quote by Brainpolice2
The slide or horizontal vibrato? Yea, it's cool. I never developed it really, but I know some guys who use it well (actually, one guy I know uses it because he actually took skype lessons with Howe himself).

Yeah, there was a very successful Blues-Rock band over here called The Hamsters. They've recently just split up after 25 years or so on the road. The guitarist who's stage name was Slim, used it a lot.

They specialized in, (very accurate) renditions of ZZ Top and Hendrix, as well as their own material.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Perlman, Rostropovich, Szeryng

I luv how you just throw something in outta left field which you blatantly know that, (the minority here at least), would not be familiar with, apart from the classical contingent here.

I for one benefit from this. You certainly open my eyes to the world of music.
on any instrument, really, vibrato is an excellent method of expression and can add a layer of depth to a lot of pieces if done correctly. as long as you know the pulse you're keeping and make it smooth, and of course use proper technique, it's almost impossible to do legitimately "bad" vibrato.
modes are a social construct
go listen to eric clapton with cream. imo, the best vibrato i've heard. SRV got his vibrato from him (most people dont know clapton was a huge influence on him back in the day) and so did eric johnson.

but "good" vibrato to me is being able to control it well. i usually prefer a slower to medium speed vibrato. i usually like it to have some decent depth to it as well. but i basically think eric clapton and stevie ray vaughan had the best (he doesnt seem to do it as much these days). eric johnson's is good too, but its basically the same as claptons.
Clapton has pretty unique vibrato. He removes his thumb from the neck completely, then moves is whole hand up and down, rather than rotating the wrist.
I thought this was going to be about vocals, and I wanted to jump on the opportunity to brag about the time Rody Walker from Protest the Hero called my vibrato beautiful. I'm going to do it anyway C:

Quote by mdc
Clapton has pretty unique vibrato. He removes his thumb from the neck completely, then moves is whole hand up and down, rather than rotating the wrist.

I do that as well, it just feels more natural to me.
Last edited by InstantMustache at Jan 14, 2012,
Thank you everyone. It's time to actually pay attention to what I do and make it better.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Gary Moore. Adrian Smith, David Gilmour, That guy from Europe, Steve Lukather, Zakk Wylde, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Guthrie Govan
Quote by mrbabo91
kirk hammet

o_O
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Zakk Wylde, Yngwie, Angus, Kirk, Vai & Satch. Zakk is the fckn man he can break his axe's neck with that fckn vibrato. check Miracle Man by Ozzy if you don't agree.
Quote by poisonousmetal
check Miracle Man by Ozzy if you don't agree.

I've broken three strings on the last note of that solo

By the way, how did you list all those guys and throw Kirk Hammett in there, exactly?
Last edited by :-D at Jan 16, 2012,
Quote by :-D

By the way, how did you list all those guys and throw Kirk Hammett in there, exactly?

Just for grins
ah so i got trolled pretty good then
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
on bassoon, classically, i learned that you hit the note and then you add color to it, whether the color is a volume swell or vibrato. also i learned that a good vibrato is not huge in pitch interval, but constant in speed. it's not supposed to be obtrusive. also on a wind instruments ( not so much a stringed instrument) it is used to keep the note going.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
oh yeah that kind of more subtle, but cultured, vibrato is awesome- very soothing and sounds great.

but if you're playing ratt (i'm guessing that doesn't come up too often on bassoon) or something like that then the wider and more over the top, the better.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by mdc

I luv how you just throw something in outta left field which you blatantly know that, (the minority here at least), would not be familiar with, apart from the classical contingent here.

I for one benefit from this. You certainly open my eyes to the world of music.

Psh, they being unfamiliar with it ain't my problem!

But seriously, there's something to be learned about vibratos from listening to other styles and instruments.

Also, I keep reading the thread title as "What is a good vibrator?"

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jan 16, 2012,
Quote by mdc

well except for bent string vibrato, but you do have to stay pretty loose to do it. i didnt even know taking your hand away for vibrato was not the norm until someone pointed it out. it just gave me the sound, speed and depth i wanted. now i tend to push up on the strings instead. i find it to take less effort and i cant get the same affect. i like to use a variety of vibrato styles though for different flavours and for different situations.

imo, guitarists should work on vibrato as much as anything else. being in control of your vibrato will make your playing sound more tasteful i think.
Page 1 of 2