In your opinion is this a gigging essential, having a hardcase? Or would a padded gig bag (soft case) be sufficient?

Maybe a bit of a daft question i know, i just wanted peoples opinions on this
Hardcase. A really good hardcase.

IMNSHO, 'gig' bags are misnamed.

I like THESE ones.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
A hard case is so much better. A few moths ago the gigbag I was carrying my acoustic in decided to break, dropping my guitar onto the pavement and severely cracking the top. Guess who ordered a hard case not long after?
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Hardcase. No question. Even if you don't take your guitar out, it is protected from household accidents.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
It really depends on the guitar. For a Gibson or anything with that fragile heastock, hard case first time every time. For a Tele, a bag seems fine to me. A hard case is always nice to have for the extra protection, but if I'm bringing a combo and two guitars to a gig, two hard cases means I have to make two trips to the car instead of parking and walking in with everything I need - that's a big difference in a downtown gig.
Quote by Roc8995
It really depends on the guitar. For a Gibson or anything with that fragile heastock, hard case first time every time. For a Tele, a bag seems fine to me. A hard case is always nice to have for the extra protection, but if I'm bringing a combo and two guitars to a gig, two hard cases means I have to make two trips to the car instead of parking and walking in with everything I need - that's a big difference in a downtown gig.

Just for you!

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GATGWLPST
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by LaidBack
Hardcase. No question. Even if you don't take your guitar out, it is protected from household accidents.

It also helps maintain temperature, and control humidity, so when you go from hot to cold areas, you can let it sit and adjust slowly. It's also great for when you just drop your case, it's protected, and for any other possible accident.

They should call gig bags "almost protected" bags...Sure, it wont get nicked or dented, but somebody falls on it, and snap.
Quote by LivinJoke84
In your opinion is this a gigging essential, having a hardcase? Or would a padded gig bag (soft case) be sufficient?

Maybe a bit of a daft question i know, i just wanted peoples opinions on this

No, it's not remotely essential.

The bass player in my band has three 'F Bass' bass guitars (http://www.fbass.com/) and he has a padded gig bag for each. Those basses are handmade and are worth about £3000/$4500 each but he's happy. I however have a hardcase for every guitar I have and wouldn't be happy any other way!

Each to their own.
Quote by fly135
Just because one has tone suck it doesn't mean one's tone sucks.
Hardcase is a must for air travel... So I'd just go ahead and get one now.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Hardcases. They're cheap and if you gig regularly it's only a matter of time before something gets dropped on it, or it falls during load in/out, etc. Just one less thing to worry about really.
Hardcase every single time - they really dont add that much weight but for the level of protection you get and for a tiny bit extra money its absolutely worth it even for guitars that arent worth a load of money. I go to gigs and you see folk just chucking their gear around - sometimes guitars dont even have a gig bag , it just breaks your heart to see perfectly nice kit get scraped and bumped to pieces as for 50 $ it would stop it happening. I have had hard cases knocked over by extremely careless and extremely drunk people but the instruments inside were fine because they were well protected.
I would be stupid to put my Les Paul in anything other than a hardcase. A low door frame that I don't account for is a very stupid thing. My strat also goes out in a hardcase. My Tele is about a 3rd of the price of the others, so that comes about in a softcase. It's like a tank, so it'll have to be a serious drop to hurt it.