Hey all,

So I have this problem.
My computer just shuts down...
Mostly after it has been in standby mode and I open a webpage.
I have scanned it for virusses but none were found.
anyone help?

thanks!
No Virusses?

How about Viruses?
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Can be many things.

Processor overheats/fans broken/clogged up , which makes it shut down due to temperature safety in bios.

Ram could be fried.

Harddisk could be on it's way to it's death.

or indeed a Virus.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Processor overheats/fans broken/clogged up , which makes it shut down due to temperature safety in bios.
I can almost guarantee it's this. Happened to me on two separate occasions.
ggg1 ggg3

I'll do you a favor and not reply as a moron.

Is it a blue screen or is it just the computer completely powering off? If blue screen it could be new hardware. Think of anything you recently installed and remove it and see if the problem persists. If it's powering off specifically when you open a webpage then it might not be your power supply but it'd be a good idea to check that as well. Other than that, a thousand things could be causing this I'd recommend having someone you know has a knack for computers popping it open
If the screen goes black but you can still hear that the computer's still actually on then it could be the RAM/graphics card popping out of their slots due to heat expansion.
Quote by BoxCarRacer1
I'll do you a favor and not reply as a moron.

Is it a blue screen or is it just the computer completely powering off? If blue screen it could be new hardware. Think of anything you recently installed and remove it and see if the problem persists. If it's powering off specifically when you open a webpage then it might not be your power supply but it'd be a good idea to check that as well. Other than that, a thousand things could be causing this I'd recommend having someone you know has a knack for computers popping it open

There has been new hardware installed but long time ago like half a year.
and it powers off no blue screen.
After working at an IT help desk for over a year, it's safe to say that 1) its impossible to tell without actually seeing it and 2) Trying to help people fix computers sucks.

Anyway, as mentioned before, it could be ANYTHING.. software, hardware, virus, or the user. I would try removing any newly installed software. If that doesn't work I would definitely try a system restore back to when it was working.

Could be the power supply. Could be conflicting drivers. Could be Windows sucking ass.
Could be anything.

Good luck

PS just remembered this happening to my HP quite a few years ago and it was the PSU. Get a new one, they're cheap and easy to install.
Quote by mitchrosko

PS just remembered this happening to my HP quite a few years ago and it was the PSU. Get a new one, they're cheap and easy to install.

I wouldn't really agree on this one, the mess of cables could be a bit intimidating to someone who's never opened a PC before. But it could indeed be the PSU. Also I'd suggest cleaning your components with some dust-off.
REGGIE
Well, I would like to help you but...

but if you can't find any help, type something like "PC help forum" in google.
This will start a RIOT! in me
Quote by LeakyFlask
I wouldn't really agree on this one, the mess of cables could be a bit intimidating to someone who's never opened a PC before. But it could indeed be the PSU. Also I'd suggest cleaning your components with some dust-off.

I think with a few minutes of studying the connections, and maybe watching a youtube video or two it wouldn't be very difficult. That's how I learned
Quote by Lespauljames

oh wait...

Also OMG this!
This will start a RIOT! in me