'Sup,
I couldn't really find an answer to this one with searching, so...

I'm having trouble installing a pickup on my strat. For some reason, the solder just doesn't seem to stick to the volume pot... any tips? The wire that goes to the switch I could solder on just fine, no problem, but this one just won't stick.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Scratch up the back of the pot with some sandpaper. Some pots solder better than others.
Yep some fine sandpaper, like the black automotive type will work. Also make sure you are getting the pot hot enough. You have a lot more metal to heat than you do with the selector pin. Proper soldering involves getting the surfaces to be soldered hot enough to melt the solder, not melting the solder directly with the iron.
Ok, thanks guys, I'll see if I can get it done!
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
What wattage is your soldering iron? You'll find it easier to solder to pots with a 40+W soldering iron.
Quote by whoomit
What wattage is your soldering iron? You'll find it easier to solder to pots with a 40+W soldering iron.

It's 100W, and it does get damn hot damn quickly... but no matter how long I heat the pot, it's not enough.
Gear:

Ashton AG200,
K, I think I got it now... I changed the tip of the iron and also changed into another kind of solder, seemed to work
Gear:

Ashton AG200,
You should use 60/40 rosin core solder for guitar stuff btw. I use 0.050", but I think as long as you're between 0.030" and 0.060" it should be fine.

Edit: Also, be careful using a 100w iron around capacitors, you could fry them. You can use alligator clips as heat sinks.

Sorry if I'm being a dick for assuming you don't know this stuff already.
Last edited by &baconstrips at Jan 13, 2012,
Thanks for the help ppl, I thought the soldering looked a bit shabby and was worried that it might not work properly, but after putting the guitar back together and restringing, I'm glad to say it works perfectly. It was also very much worth the slight agonizing - the guitar sounds absolutely wonderful. The pup is a Seymour Duncan SSL-5, which I put into the bridge position of my Fender MiM Strat. Now the driven tones are a lot punchier, and the tone has a bit more lows and mids. Still does sound like a strat, no doubt about it, so I got exactly what I wanted. I'll be changing the middle and neck to Seymour Duncan SSL-1's as soon as I get around to it. After that I'll just need a bone nut and steel tremolo block, and the guitar will absolutely slay!
Gear:

Ashton AG200,