Monday I am moving to start my first semester of university. I'll have a private room, and have a mini recording setup and crappy old crate amp for practice with headphones.

It's a music heavy school, and in the possibility of playing with people, and the fact I own a GK mb200 head, I want a 1x12 or 2x10 that can handle 4 ohms and over 200 watts to safely run my heads 200 watts. I don't want a 8 ohm cab to someday stack a second on there, I just want a cab that handles my heads full power, and is small.

That said, I don't have much money, I'll go used or whatever. I'd play a 1x10 but I feel it would be good for much. Does anyone know any brands, or does anyone know if any cheaper easily obtained brands like peavey or acoustic or even GK have 2x10's that can be rewired for 4 ohm use over 200 watts?
I know it may stretch your budget some... but you can get Avatar 2x10s (http://www.avatarspeakers.com/B210%20NEO.htm) and the even cheaper 1x12s (http://www.avatarspeakers.com/sB112.htm) in 4ohms.

You could gamble with your local used market and see what pops up. But with Avatar, you'd at least be getting something with exactly the specs you want.

The MB200 and an Avatar 2x10 sounds super sexy.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Carvin may be worth looking into too. Their 2x10s are all rated well above 200w, they come in 4 ohm and 8 ohm versions, and you can get neo versions if you're willing to spend a little more.

Plus, like Avatar you get vinyl/tolex options, and we all know color is the most important part.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
we all know color is the most important part.

Word!
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Tostitos
Carvin may be worth looking into too. Their 2x10s are all rated well above 200w, they come in 4 ohm and 8 ohm versions, and you can get neo versions if you're willing to spend a little more.

Plus, like Avatar you get vinyl/tolex options, and we all know color is the most important part.

These are great cabs for the price.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=BR210-4
1981 G&L L 1000
Dean Razor NT5
Dean Hardtail 5
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Ash
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Mahogany
Dean Edge 1-5
Dean Edge Q-6 string
Dean Rhapsody 4
Axle Acoustic bass
MiniStar 5 string bass
Dean DOA Caddilac
Dean V-Wing acoustic
Indeed color is the most important part!

I guess I am kind of spoiled because I got all my cabs under $80 now I need a real nice cab and it's more than the amp itself!

My budget is actually like $60 lol until I can sell some stuff, university is only 3 hours from home, so when I am home I can dump some gear and work up to a good cab. Now can a 2x10 or 1x12 handle a Low B or C well, if I do the bronco bead and the p bass in c standard? My genz benz is a small cab for a 1x15 but it's original speaker was 4 ohms but only 200 watts, so I swapped it with a free black widow, but at 350 watts it's only 8 ohms...

Edit: damn I've never had a tweeter and they seem to be more trouble than they are worth. I guess mine would forever be off. I'd totally take a carvin in red or white or that western leather lol.

Personally I'd dig some real furry cowhide brown and white.
Last edited by askrere at Jan 13, 2012,
Eden EX112. 300 watts and you can get them at either 8 or 4 ohm, $240 USD. They do a EX110 with the same specs too (well obviously with a smaller speaker). Cool little cabs, there was a dude with a MB200 through a EX112 at the Melbourne OzBass GTG last year it sounded ace.

EDIT: Oh, $60 isn't going to get you very far. Maybe it'd be a good idea to sell the MB200 and try and look for a combo? You might find a used MB112 for a good price.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Jan 14, 2012,
Lol I'm sitting on like $500 worth of gear I need to sell I'll have more than $0, which is down to $31 now actually from buying wine and beer. I'm not going back to a combo unless I get one of those MB210 combos and get the extension 2x10, I like that mini stack look.
you can get an accoustic 1x15 cab for like $200ish new they even have a 2x10 neo cab but its like $400
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ok, If anyone reads this, I am selling my MIJ mustang bass tomorrow (to the original owner) for $400.

I am still determined to get a 2x10, and I'm liking the Avatar cab, but the price is pretty high, the carvin is like half the price, is it a worthy buy or should I just save up a wee bit more and blow it all on an avatar? Or is their a better option?

Again as a refresher, just looking for a good 2x10 capable of over 200 watts @ 4 ohms for my GK MB200 head. Of course if you know of a cab that's small, loud and quality with those parameters under $500 w/ shipping let me know.

Edit: So the avatar is 700 watts, and the Carvin is 400 watts, my amp is 200 watts is that going to burn the speakers?
Last edited by askrere at Feb 15, 2012,