http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/9013803/Student-Richard-ODwyer-can-be-extradited-over-TV-website.html

Quote by The Telegraph
Richard O’Dwyer, a computer science student at Sheffield Hallam University, faces up to 10 years in a federal prison for operating TVShack.
The 23-year-old, described as “quiet, introverted and vulnerable” by his father, is accused of criminal copyright infringement.

The website did not itself host unlawful downloads or video streams, but acted as a directory of links to others that did, Westminster Magistrates' Court heard.
American authorities allege that Mr O’Dwyer made more than $230,000 by selling advertising on TVShack in three years until December 2010. It became one of the 1,800 most popular websites in the world, with hundreds of thousands of visitors per month.

District Judge Quentin Purdy rejected all three of the defence’s arguments against extradition, including claims Mr O’Dwyer would not get a fair trial in the United States and that if a crime was committed he should be prosecuted in Britain.

It's not the case itself which annoys me (he put another site back up as soon as his first one went down), it's this one way system we seem to have with the US. We seem to not be able to wait to extradite our own citizens, but when we need one from the US, they seem reluctant.

Opinions pit?
Too busy illegally watching tv online to care.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Makes me laugh. I go to the same University as that guy, and I'm currently doing the same module as he will of done where your essentially and entrepreneur. The fact that Hallam basically ran away from this guy is ridiculous. I'm going to throw it in the face of the module leader when I get back, since shes a bitch.
I Like Orange......

Wobble Wobble Wub Wub Dakka Dakka
He shouldn't be charged, in this country or in the states.

ot: American extradition is a joke. But they probably give metaphorical crumbs to other nations and pretend it's worth it.
The guy was brilliant... Google TV sites and then get rich off advertising, don't see what is so illegal
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
Because he's the hero The Pit deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Anus.
He wasn't hosting any illegal material on his website...which isnt illegal. They're mad he made $230,000 (holy ****) off the site. I dont think he loses his trial.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
The irritating thing is that the wankers taking him to court over this probably earn that in a day.
Dear America. Go away and leave us to administer our own justice, hmmmm?
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.
Quote by JonnyH
he will of done where your essentially and entrepreneur.

Shame you aren't studying grammar.

I'm going to agree with the predictably left-wing Pit and say that it's pretty stupid for him to be extradited.

Also, this, the sentence he's facing is stupidly long.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
It's not the case itself which annoys me (he put another site back up as soon as his first one went down), it's this one way system we seem to have with the US. We seem to not be able to wait to extradite our own citizens, but when we need one from the US, they seem reluctant.

Opinions pit?

The charge is ridiculous, and as has been noted; the almost one way extradition policy is a joke.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by Ziphoblat
The irritating thing is that the wankers taking him to court over this probably earn that in a day.

Point I was gonna make, ****in fat cats. Kid made his money and they don't like it? He did nothing illegal so whats the ****in problem?

Also GTFO of everyone else's shit America, your not the the world ****in police!
Last edited by MetalBoot at Jan 13, 2012,
i learned something today

move to a country with no extradidtion to the usa, open up a website taht links to movies, then $$$$?
Quote by uziyourillusion
i learned something today

move to a country with no extradidtion to the usa, open up a website taht links to movies, then $$$$?

Stealing my thoughts, eh? GET OUTTA MY HEAD
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
Because he's the hero The Pit deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Anus.
Oh Hallam students, you are so silly. First pissing on a war memorial and now this? Deary me.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Necro'd but whatever...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-18577003

He has the support of Jimmy Wales now.

And for the record (believe it or not), I actually know this guy. When the decision to extradite him was first made I thought it was ridiculous, but now I can't wait for him to be shipped off.

He is getting so much sympathy that he doesn't deserve.

When operating his site, Richard O'Dwyer always did his best to play by the rules: on the few occasions he received requests to remove content from copyright holders, he complied. His site hosted links, not copyrighted content, and these were submitted by users.
[From a petition set up by Jimmy Wales]

Okay...... But he had the original domain seized because of copyright infringement and then just set the whole thing up again. Yeah, totally compliant with the wishes of those who own the IPs he was making money off

Just listen to anything he has said in public, it sounds like a child wrote some of the answers to the questions he has been asked by the media. But now he has intelligent people who have actually done something to make the internet better fighting the battle for him, so it doesn't matter.

If he doesn't get extradited then he is going to be set for life and for what? Making a very simple website, earning lots of money and then clashing with the American government. Companies are going to be tripping over themselves to employ him over it. Not saying he isn't good at what he does, but God damn.

Okay.... maybe extradition is still a harsh punishment. But jeez at least let some TV execs throw mouldy vegetables at him in public.
Last edited by Death_switch at Jun 25, 2012,
Quote by Death_switch
Necro'd but whatever...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-18577003

He has the support of Jimmy Wales now.

And for the record (believe it or not), I actually know this guy. When the decision to extradite him was first made I thought it was ridiculous, but now I can't wait for him to be shipped off.

He is getting so much sympathy that he doesn't deserve.

[From a petition set up by Jimmy Wales]

Okay...... But he had the original domain seized because of copyright infringement and then just set the whole thing up again. Yeah, totally compliant with the wishes of those who own the IPs he was making money off

Just listen to anything he has said in public, it sounds like a child wrote some of the answers to the questions he has been asked by the media. But now he has intelligent people who have actually done something to make the internet better fighting the battle for him, so it doesn't matter.

If he doesn't get extradited then he is going to be set for life and for what? Making a very simple website, earning lots of money and then clashing with the American government. Companies are going to be tripping over themselves to employ him over it. Not saying he isn't good at what he does but God damn.

Okay.... maybe extradition is still a harsh punishment. But jeez at least let some TV execs throw mouldy vegetables at him in public.

But extradition would destroy his life, who wants that? Just because he acts a bit childish, that doesn't mean he deserves to be extradited to the USA.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Quote by cptcomet
But extradition would destroy his life, who wants that? Just because he acts a bit childish, that doesn't mean he deserves to be extradited to the USA.

I thought I made it clear that my post wasn't exactly objective
Quote by Death_switch
I thought I made it clear that my post wasn't exactly objective

You made it pretty clear that you are a bit thick.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
You made it pretty clear that you are a bit thick.

Quote by Death_switch

Guess tongue in cheek hasn't arrived in Canada yet.
Quote by Death_switch

Guess tongue in cheek hasn't arrived in Canada yet, eh?

>.>
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Ha. Liberals.

Quote by Greenie_777
Making an example of a student while google gets away with it.

Google is literally Nazi Germany
Guys stop questioning the actions of the world police. If you don't like then move somewhere else.