Hey guys
I'm using Vox's Big Ben Overdrive, having a great time with it.
I've been looking at Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi, and it seems really great for relatively soft stuff, which is great, but I've been thinking - how will it sound if I use the distortion, and boost it with the Overdrive? Will it be able to reach the harder tones(let's say, Metal Muff), or will it just be a big noise?
thanks!
Depends how you set them, but it will not give you the sound you're looking for. It will likely be a big noise, unless you back off the gain a lot, but even then, it will sound crap.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Any7423 is wrong. Overdrives are used all the time to boost distortions and bring it into heavier territory. Not only does it make it heavier, a lot of times it adds definition. If you back the gain off of the overdrive but turn the volume up, have that going into the distortion you should be able to get some good heavy tones.
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Quote by guitarguychris1
Any7423 is wrong. Overdrives are used all the time to boost distortions and bring it into heavier territory. Not only does it make it heavier, a lot of times it adds definition. If you back the gain off of the overdrive but turn the volume up, have that going into the distortion you should be able to get some good heavy tones.

This. I use my Zendrive in front of every channel on my Marshall 6100LM, even on the massively boosted third channel. I also use it in from a Zoom Distortion pedal and I've seen one used in front of a Slostortion to great effect.
The technical term is call "gain stacking".

And yes, stacking gain pedals does produce good sounds.
Quote by irnmadn88
The technical term is call "gain stacking".

And yes, stacking gain pedals does produce good sounds.

This, but play around with the gain and tone knobs on both pedals. It's easy to get something that sounds mediocre but tweak and it'll sound good (unless both pedals are horrible).
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Yes, you can do it and it can work. You might want to experiment a little with pedal order and settings when doing it though. It also can depend on what specific pedals you're trying to mix.

I've been enjoying the results of stacking the BB Preamp with my amp's gain channel, or even the BB stacked with both the EP Booster and my amp's gain channel. In fact, on an amp like mine, set to give maximum headroom, there would be no other way for me to get a significantly gained out "singing lead tone".
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Jan 13, 2012,
You're not gonna sound like a Metal Muff by boosting a Big Muff Pi with an OD pedal. You'll sound like stoner metal, which is loose, very bassy, and dark. Not like modern metal, which is tight and comparatively not as bassy, and brighter (more trebly).
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??