do distortion pedals really sound that bad in a tube amp? i mean would a medium gain amp boosted with a distoriton pedal to get modern metal sound that terrible. something ive been wondering and trying to figure out.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
OMG dude! lol

In my personal opinion im not a fan of ANY distortion pedals. Get an amp that has a great sounding distortion and if its a tube amp boost it with an OD pedal for the brootz!
No they don't. You are better off with a real metal amp but a decent distortion pedal will get you out of trouble.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Numerous people use a boost or distortion pedal in front of their tube amp to drive the preamp stage a bit harder... Nothing wrong with that.

I think when using a tube amp, you want at least some of your distortion created by the tubes.

You will find that in general, tubes distorting will sound better than if you were getting 100% of your distorted sound from a stomp-box.
Last edited by BurstBucker Pro at Jan 13, 2012,
You are best off using an amp made for metal, or using a clean amp and using pedals for your dirt. Don't let the numerous idiots on this board tell you otherwise, there are distortion pedals that sound great for metal, they just aren't the cheap ones
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
thanks guys. im just in the process of deciding for a new amp and since im a beginner I dont really want to spend $600 to get decent br00tz.

Like it would be ideal to grab a JCA20H or the combo and then either use the digitech metal master I have or go for another distortion pedal and/or some sort of boost. Because I also like to play white stripes and social distortion/rancid/sublime style stuff also. just looking for some opinions because I have been told tube amps sound terrible with distortion pedals. any suggestions for nicer different distoriton pedals would be cool too. whatever.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
The JCA is pretty good with a boost. It's got nice on-board distortion, so you wouldn't need a distortion pedal. It certainly sounds better than anything a Metal Master can produce, no offense.
You can use a distortion pedal in front of a distorted channel on an amp as a booster. The trick here is to use your ears and trust what they are telling you. I find I get good results if the tube channel is moderately distorted and the distortion pedal before it isnt overcooked gain wise. If you over do it on both channels the amp and pedal it will just be total mush. I also find that the pedal shouldnt be set too 'toppy' with the tone either. If you use decent distortion pedals before the amp channel it can work - I use a keely modded ds 1 ultra and a vox satchurator before an engl e530, mesa triaxis and peavey 6505 and they all sound great. Now these amps all have stacks of gain - tons. More than you will ever need. You could get enough distortion from the amps themselves for sure but I find that I can get a thicker sound if I use a distortion pedal in front of the preamp and it is thicker than just using the preamp alone with whatever settings you try dialing in provided you dont over do it with the gain on the pedal and amp.
Quote by TheQuailman
The JCA is pretty good with a boost. It's got nice on-board distortion, so you wouldn't need a distortion pedal. It certainly sounds better than anything a Metal Master can produce, no offense.

the pedal was a gift. lol.

yeah im sure its worth a try. im just tyring to stick to a a cheaper amp right because I am a beginner and just dont want to get a shit ton of money wrapped up into it right now. id much rather spent $350 compared to $600 for a high gain metal amp. what distortions and ods would you guys recommend to boost this.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Distortion pedals work best through a clean amp.

They are usefull on a tube amp, especially a two channel. It will essentially turn it into a 3 channel amp - clean, distortion on clean, and the dirt channel.
Quote by 667
Distortion pedals work best through a clean amp.

They are usefull on a tube amp, especially a two channel. It will essentially turn it into a 3 channel amp - clean, distortion on clean, and the dirt channel.

ohh I was looking at the single channel... hmm.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Can you swap the pedal?

I bought a Maxon OD808 for my son for Xmas - who on a whim bought a B52 Half-Stack. I assumed it was tube, but he got the SS version - so the pedal is not going to be useful to him. I don't mind that he's returning it for whatever... even for just the money.

Tell the person that gave it to you if they wouldn't mind giving you the receipt so you can swap it out for the correct pedal. Don't worry about hurting their feelings, I'm sure they wont mind.
The problem with single channel amps is that they are either meant to be perfectly clean with no gain built into them, or they are meant to be an overdrive channel. Most single channel amps with a gain circuit can't do a good clean sound. They can come close but will always have the slightest bit of gain dirtying up the signal.
Quote by romeozdistress
the pedal was a gift. lol.

yeah im sure its worth a try. im just tyring to stick to a a cheaper amp right because I am a beginner and just dont want to get a shit ton of money wrapped up into it right now. id much rather spent $350 compared to $600 for a high gain metal amp. what distortions and ods would you guys recommend to boost this.

Well, since you have the Metal Master already, you can try it for boosting. Turn down the distortion on it and turn up the output volume. Dunno if it'll be a completely clean boost that way, but you've got the pedal already, so there's no harm in trying.

Otherwise, the Digitech Bad Monkey and Boss SD1 are nice for boosting and don't cost much. Besides that, anything that is based on the classic Ibanez Tubescreamers (TS808, TS9) will do nicely. Tubescreamer-ish pedals are great for boosting an amp into high-gain since they cut the lows (making the amp 'tighter'), while also taming the highs (reducing shrillness and fizz). They effectively boost your mids, giving you a punchy sound that can cut through a mix.
Quote by surjer
OMG dude! lol

In my personal opinion im not a fan of ANY distortion pedals. Get an amp that has a great sounding distortion and if its a tube amp boost it with an OD pedal for the brootz!

You don't like any distortion pedals, but you recommend OD pedals...

TS - Overdrive, distortion, and fuzz are in reality all different variations on the same concept. Anyone that says there are 'rules' like the guy above is just confused.

I think what you are referring to is that more 'mid-gain' style amps tend to be set up for power tube distortion, not pre-amp. Generally speaking for metal you want all pre-amp distortion and not power-amp...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by poppameth
The problem with single channel amps is that they are either meant to be perfectly clean with no gain built into them, or they are meant to be an overdrive channel. Most single channel amps with a gain circuit can't do a good clean sound. They can come close but will always have the slightest bit of gain dirtying up the signal.

I don't see why varied usage of the pre and master controls on a good one-channel tube amp wouldn't make it versatile enough to invoke both a clean sound and an overdriven sound.

The one-channel amps I've been playing through have an excellent clean sound - like the DR Z EZG-50. They also can simultaneously be set up for a vintage breakup. Don't see a necessary dichotomy.
^Agreed, but not conducive for live performance - but still do-able.
you guys lost me lol. my big question is if i get a jet city single channel tube amp can i put it into metal territory with a pedal? i can trade the metal master in for a tube screamer. i wouldnt mind.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Yes. The jet city will do metal with a boost (prolly very close to it without). Try the amp first before you jump into stuff. But ya, the TS9 will be more usefull to you than a distortion pedal - and if the amp is close to metal, it will get you there.
I'm partial to the Maxon OD808 though. That would be my choice.
If you need even more gain out of an OD, check out the Fulltone OCD.
Quote by Cathbard
No they don't. You are better off with a real metal amp but a decent distortion pedal will get you out of trouble.

+1

judicious matching of the pedal to the amp and guitar can actually sound pretty good

if that's the tone you're using all the time then an amp aimed at it would be better, as cath said- but if you only need that tone occasionally then there's absolutely nothing wrong with using a distortion pedal (assuming it sounds good).

Quote by TheQuailman
Well, since you have the Metal Master already, you can try it for boosting. Turn down the distortion on it and turn up the output volume. Dunno if it'll be a completely clean boost that way, but you've got the pedal already, so there's no harm in trying.

isn't the metal master the one with no gain control?

i think it's permanently set to "bee in a jamjar", unfortunately.

i mean you might as well try it, if you already have it there's no harm done, but yeah.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 13, 2012,
yeah im gonna go try the jet city first with my own guitar and see. most of the demos online are with les paul and strats. id like to see how this jackson sounds on it at full gain. thanks for the input though.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A