Hey guys, basically I have a line 6 ux8 toneport which I record all my bands demos with. I know people hate on the amps but from my experience with their interfaces i've always thought they have done a job.

I currently have 8 channels so we usually record live , 6 channels for the drums, 1 for guitar and 1 for bass.

Lately i've been wondering about possibly getting a second interface for more channels which leads me to my question. Would I be able to use two 8 channel audio interfaces together? If so how exactly would I need to set that up?

The UX8 is now discontinued so I would have to get something different too so would it even likely work with two different interfaces?

Thanks in advance!
1980 Gibson Silverburst Les Paul Custom
Gretsch G5445T Electromatic Double Jet
De Armond MT-75
1978 Aria Pro 2 Les Paul Standard (Lawsuit)

Orange Rockerverb 100 Head
Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Ain't telling you my pedals!
I'm NOT 100% sure, but it MIGHT be possible using ASIO4ALL. I'd guess not, but you never know.

It IS possible if you upgrade to a higher end interface that has ADAT.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Bugger! I have had a quick look online and i've seen a few differing opinions on it but one person did say it may only be possible with a different interface. I'd have thought having two of the same interface would help
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

This was discussed a while ago, and it was said that the software DAW would only recognise a single interface so it wouldn't be possible in normal circumstances....

However, the possibility of using one package (eg Reaper) with the first interface and a second package (eg audacity) with the second may be possible. Nobody seemed sure though, and as I recall someone was going to try it when they went home for xmas but I haven't heard anything since.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Bugger! That's gutting, will have to look into alternative ways to get more channels then! I'm slowly trying to get more gear for a little home studio type project, 16 channels would be perfect for me really, will have to see what other options are available to me then!
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Quote by GaryBillington
This was discussed a while ago, and it was said that the software DAW would only recognise a single interface so it wouldn't be possible in normal circumstances....

However, the possibility of using one package (eg Reaper) with the first interface and a second package (eg audacity) with the second may be possible. Nobody seemed sure though, and as I recall someone was going to try it when they went home for xmas but I haven't heard anything since.

This. I could not get a Lexicon Lambda and a UX2 to both respond. I tried 3 DAWs and could only get one interface to respond as the Lambda would respond to the Lamda driver, the UX2 likewise only responded to the UX2 driver. ASIO4ALL would only respond to the UX2 as I have the UX2 set for the primary sound on my computer.

Quote by qotsakyuss
Bugger! That's gutting, will have to look into alternative ways to get more channels then! I'm slowly trying to get more gear for a little home studio type project, 16 channels would be perfect for me really, will have to see what other options are available to me then!

You can get an 8 channel interfaces and daisy chain them together on some interfaces.
Last edited by FireHawk at Jan 13, 2012,
Quote by qotsakyuss

You definitely need 16 channels recording at once? Don't know about your budget, but the Zoom R16 records 8 channels at a time and is designed so two of them can be linked via USB making 16 track recording possible.

It's a lot of money to spend just for the sake of recording everything at once though.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by FireHawk
This. I could not get a Lexicon Lambda and a UX2 to both respond. I tried 3 DAWs and could only get one interface to respond as the Lambda would respond to the Lamda driver, the UX2 likewise only responded to the UX2 driver. ASIO4ALL would only respond to the UX2 as I have the UX2 set for the primary sound on my computer.

It was you was it? Couldn't remember who said they'd try it!! Nice one for making the effort though.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Well my band seems to sound tighter when we record live so the ability to have some extra channels would be good for us, I could mic the underside of the snare as wel las the top, maybe try a room mic, record vocals live if we wanted to, more mics on the guitar cabs and also DI the bass.

I did see the zoom r16 before we got the toneport, still interested in them, just to me at the time it seemed like the toneport was a better choice, seems like a more solidly constructed piece of kit. We'll see!

How would you go about daisy chaining an interface? would it definately need the ADAT thing on the interface? the UX8 i have has a SPIDF but no ADAT, don't know if that has anything to do with possible linking two interfaces? (im still fairly noobish on stuff haha bare with me) thanks!
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Quote by qotsakyuss
Well my band seems to sound tighter when we record live so the ability to have some extra channels would be good for us, I could mic the underside of the snare as wel las the top, maybe try a room mic, record vocals live if we wanted to, more mics on the guitar cabs and also DI the bass.

I did see the zoom r16 before we got the toneport, still interested in them, just to me at the time it seemed like the toneport was a better choice, seems like a more solidly constructed piece of kit. We'll see!

How would you go about daisy chaining an interface? would it definately need the ADAT thing on the interface? the UX8 i have has a SPIDF but no ADAT, don't know if that has anything to do with possible linking two interfaces? (im still fairly noobish on stuff haha bare with me) thanks!

I believe you can only daisy chain with FireWire/1394a, I don't know if it can be done on USB hubs. The thing is the more inputs you get the more you are pushing USB 2.0 limite.
Quote by FireHawk
I believe you can only daisy chain with FireWire/1394a, I don't know if it can be done on USB hubs. The thing is the more inputs you get the more you are pushing USB 2.0 limite.

It can be done, but I haven't seen USB interfaces that are below ~$1300 that will do it (RME UFX/UC)

You'll definitely have to go with a Firewire interface at that price, or one of those Zooms Gary mentioned.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
You can definitely use multiple usb interfaces however, you can't with a UX8. It's a shame and I found out the hardway!
Quote by fly135
Just because one has tone suck it doesn't mean one's tone sucks.