I'm a musician and I do drums, guitar, bass, and vocals all quite often and love them all. I have been playing for years and even writing songs for a few years now. Currently I've moved to an area where there is a severe lack of drummers. One of the people that really wants to play with me though is a guitarist... but is a VERY noob guitarist... AND doesn't know that they are a noob guitarist.

And what's worse is they even know how serious I am, I've even got a full home studio. I say "Okay so let's start something" but they don't even know a single full song and have never written anything, so I end the thing really early and just do other things. They didn't get any hint or anything apparently though because they are telling me to learn a song or two that they will learn and we'll do those.

That's definitely a step in the right direction, don't get me wrong, but I already play with a few other people who are much much better at their instruments and I don't want to be this person's guide. While typing this I see that I really don't think I should even consider playing with this person anymore. However, how do I end this?!? I see them every freakin' day!
I would probably just gracefully let it drop - eg, stop calling him to come over and play. But if he calls you or you run into him and he asks, you MUST be honest and nice about it. Confront the issue directly.

"Hey, honestly, our playing together thing isn't really working for me right now. I think you have a lot of potential as a guitarist but I want to work with people who are more polished."

You can get into specifics, "You don't really know any full songs. Stylistically you just can't do the kind of stuff I want to do, for example (whatever genre you want to play). I think you can get there with practice and work, but you're not yet."

There might be hurt feelings in the short term, but you will MINIMIZE them by being direct and honest. Feelings get the most hurt when somebody feels you've led them on.
Quote by HotspurJr
I would probably just gracefully let it drop - eg, stop calling him to come over and play. But if he calls you or you run into him and he asks, you MUST be honest and nice about it. Confront the issue directly.

"Hey, honestly, our playing together thing isn't really working for me right now. I think you have a lot of potential as a guitarist but I want to work with people who are more polished."

You can get into specifics, "You don't really know any full songs. Stylistically you just can't do the kind of stuff I want to do, for example (whatever genre you want to play). I think you can get there with practice and work, but you're not yet."

There might be hurt feelings in the short term, but you will MINIMIZE them by being direct and honest. Feelings get the most hurt when somebody feels you've led them on.

Surprisingly amazing Dr. Phil moment here, haha but thank you that was good