Yo,

I've just recently taken to Opeth's Blackwater Park/Opeth in general (I know, blasphemy). I'm looking into picking up another 2-3 of their albums, but I'm not sure which ones I should go for. The reviews here basically state that I should buy ALL of them (which seems reasonable), but I don't want to spend a massive chunck of change all at once on their entire discography.

I'm wondering if you guys could tell me which albums are their best. I love everything about Blackwater Park and I tend to prefer death metal, so I know Heritage would probably be the last album I'd check out. I really don't have a day to spend on Youtube checking it all out, so would you mind a quick rec.?

Thanks in advance.
Ghost Reveries
Deliverance
Still Life
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by robertito696
Ghost Reveries
Deliverance
Still Life

This. I'd add Morningrise as well, if you're into long, drawn out compositions with lots of counterpoint.
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
Yeah I picked up Heritage expecting something similar to Blackwater Park and instead I got some bizzare King Crimson tribute album lol. I'll be watching this, though, because I'm curious about getting some more Blackwater Park-esque Opeth.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Ghost Reveries
Damnation & Deliverance (these were kinda tied-in with one another- one is almost entirely clean and the other is their dark, heavy side)
Still Life is their BEST album IMO, especially in terms of the story. Beautiful solos, amazing riffs, it blows my mind every time. Other than that Ghost Reveries is excellent, and the Damnation/Deliverance. A lot of their other stuff would be harder to get into I think
"Any statement beginning with the words 'In truth' is almost always a lie."

The Legion
Quote by barden1069
Yeah I picked up Heritage expecting something similar to Blackwater Park and instead I got some bizzare King Crimson tribute album lol. I'll be watching this, though, because I'm curious about getting some more Blackwater Park-esque Opeth.

What rock have you lived under since Watershed came out?

OP get My Arms, Your Hearse and Still Life. Deliverance too, it's worth it for Master's Apprentices alone.
^I only just started listening to Opeth and was in the store the other day and saw Heritage and was like "ooooo holographic!" so I bought it.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
This belongs in the metal forum, in the gargantuan Opeth thread that is there.

Seeing as you like their death metal stuff, I'd suggest Deliverance, My Arms Your Hearse and Still Life. My favourite albums are their first two - Orchid and Morningrise, but it sounds like something for you to check out a bit further on.

And steer clear of Ghost Reveries. It's easily their worst album.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
get a dildo, preferably glass so you won't scratch your precious bottom
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
My Arms, Your Hearse, Ghost Reveries, and Deliverance are your best bets. Those are their best albums besides Blackwater Park, in my opinion.