I plan on buying a Fender MIM tele standard this weekend, and my guitar center has like four or five of them, should i try them all out?
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
yeah probably

i mean one's not going to sound like a les paul and another like a strat, but within sorta the limits of what a strat can sound like, there can be differences.

also worth trying them out in case one feels better, or has fewer flaws etc. I mean if they all sound the same you might as well pick the one that's made the best.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If they have 5, play them 5 and the first one you feel comfy with even if you haven't played them all just keep on playing that one until you know it's the one you want, then proceed to pay before you go crazy and want to change it xD
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
yes its not going to be like night and day but you might notice that one of the guitars feels better or just has that slight umph the others dont
Last edited by supersac at Jan 13, 2012,
There can and are differences between guitars made one after the other, there's so many little variables that each guitar can sound and feel different from one not much older. It may not be worlds apart but there are subtle differences.
One guitar, played in the hands of different people, can sound totally different.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Also like to add.

Stock is superficial if they are in the shop.

You can't (Easily) tell the tonal differences 100% between the guitars because of:

- different string gauges, and/or brand, and/or various people playing on the guitars.
- transport/shipping to the shop might have screwed set-up
- ^^ this includes s(Slightly) warped necks which after simple neck adjustment could make a slight difference.

Check/ask for those things as well.

String type/gauge/age can do quite the effect.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 13, 2012,
^ yep, definitely, that's a good point. you don't want to pick the one that is the easiest to play and then find it had thinner strings on it
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Koshman32
One guitar, played in the hands of different people, can sound totally different.
This.
Honestly you can sit in the store for an hour trying to find a subtle difference however chances are there won't be one that sticks out. They are all the same model, pick your favorite color, then look the entire guitar over. Look for cracks, warps, loose screws, etc, if you don't find anything you're golden.
yes, different examples of the same guitar can sound surprisingly different. as stated above, its not going to be anything really obvious (unless one of the guitars is a total mule), but there will definitely be differences.

this largely comes down to the tolerances involved in the companies wood choices. not all pieces of a particular wood are completely identical, so you will get some variance based on that. additionally, issues regarding the assembly and set-up of the guitar can vary from instrument to instrument, as there is, again, a degree of tolerance in the manufacturing process.

play them all and pick the one that seems best to you. you're really going to check to make sure you aren't picking a mule (a particularly bad example), rather than picking the best sounding one
Quote by Koshman32
Well, that's because two different people are playing it.

The OP asked whether or not two guitars of the same model will sound different.
Quote by krehzeekid
yes, different examples of the same guitar can sound surprisingly different. as stated above, its not going to be anything really obvious (unless one of the guitars is a total mule), but there will definitely be differences.

this largely comes down to the tolerances involved in the companies wood choices. not all pieces of a particular wood are completely identical, so you will get some variance based on that. additionally, issues regarding the assembly and set-up of the guitar can vary from instrument to instrument, as there is, again, a degree of tolerance in the manufacturing process.

play them all and pick the one that seems best to you. you're really going to check to make sure you aren't picking a mule (a particularly bad example), rather than picking the best sounding one

Also, guitar center is a bad place to try out 5 different guitars for subtle differences. With all the other people doing the same thing you won't be able to hear yourself think much less the couple hertz difference in tone.

Plus, all of the guys you see with people trying to emulate their tone have a whole library of guitars.

Plus, 90% of listeners won't be able to tell a squire from a MIA fender.

Then stack onto that it's normally the mistakes that make the most original sound.

Just run through this checklist:
-Is there any corrosion(rust) on the poles of the pickup or on any of the screws?
-check along where the fretboard attaches to the handle, any separation or cracks?
-Run your hand along both sides of the fretboard to make sure none of the frets are hanging over the side(this is actually quite common)
-Check the neck to see if it is straight or a bit bowed in the middle.
-Check the pegs on the tuners, are the bushings in straight? They won't wobble due to the string pressure, but if the bushings are lose they will when you take the strings off and can effect how well the guitar stays in tune.
-When you have it plugged in, wiggle the cable to see if it cuts out
-Check each of the pickups, 1,3,5th position should have the buzzing(while you have the gain all the way up) you get with single coil, however position 2 and 4 should cut out because having two frets on forms a pseudo humbucker, if both frets on are on the buzz should cut out or at least decrease.

The cool thing about fenders is even if you do get one and a part breaks, any part can be swapped for pretty cheap. (broken neck? New neck is $100-200 and bolts right on)
Not only that but play 'em without plugging in. The wood makes the difference and you want wood that sounds the best. Made from different parts of a tree you'd want wood that void free or closest to it.

There will be a diamond in the rough.

But there's one thing though. Some store will go through a shipment and pull out the good ones for themselves, best customers and friends. That's been known to happen and I suspect they still do it.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+