Can anyone tell me what this technique is actually called, and give me some tips on doing it? I know Zakk Wylde has used it on occasion, listen to Warrant's "Big Talk", it's the sound at about 32 seconds...thanks much!
Youtube link by any chance? I don't own any Warrant and saying that Zakk Wylde does it helps no one.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I know what you mean, Guthrie does something the same/similar. You slide the side of your picking hand lightly up the strings, from about where the pickups are, while plucking the string (say, the G string) with your fretting hand. I'll ty and hand the video...

Can also be done by running your fretting hand up say the G string, lightly like when you do natural harmonics, while tremolo picking the string

*edit*

That video actualy shows the technique I described first off
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
That is almost a Van Halen kinda lick. It seems to me that there might be some delay too. I dont know the term for it but to get the sound relatively try this. On your B string:

B---4---2---0--- repeat

Pull off on all the notes and repeat with a hammer on on the 4th fret. Now, use your picking hand and gently slide it towards the headstock as your doing the lick. Use distortion and you should be able to get "in the ball park" of the sound.
Hope this helps!
Don't think it's actually called anything. What your doing is just rappidly playing ascending or descending natural harmonics at one end of the guitar to the other.
Quote by Kromeo
That is almost a Van Halen kinda lick. It seems to me that there might be some delay too. I dont know the term for it but to get the sound relatively try this. On your B string:

B---4---2---0--- repeat

Pull off on all the notes and repeat with a hammer on on the 4th fret. Now, use your picking hand and gently slide it towards the headstock as your doing the lick. Use distortion and you should be able to get "in the ball park" of the sound.
Hope this helps!

This. It's called autoflanging
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yh autoflanging.

Seems to work best on the d string for me. Pulling off at around the 5th fret