Hi everyone

Ive been playing mostly slower stuff up untill now but i got myself a Charvel San Dimas for christmas and ever since then i kinda got hooked on the heavier stuff :p

Currently i play through a Blackstar HT-20 Combo directly into a small mixer and then my headphones (i play mostly at home). Now the tones im looking for are kinda in the "Van Halen, Ratt, Poison, ect." area, maybe even Steel Panther... but after fiddling for a couple of days with my amp i just cant get what i like... maybe one of you guys can point me to some ideas on how to get that fat defined tone that just screams in solos and breaks my floor when muted

If its gonna be a new amp i would love to get one of em lunchbox sized ones, the only thing i kinda want/need is an effects loop...

ive been looking at the following ones:

-Carvin v3m (like this the best from the video demos, but no one here sells it, heck even thomann.de doesnt sell it... would have to get it over ebay)
-Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18
-Orange Tiny/Dark Terror (no effects loop as far asi know)
-ENGL E315 (maybe a bit too distorted?)

What do you guys think? New amp or stick with the old one and try to find the perfect setting?

Kemper Profiler fed by:
Suhr Modern
PRS Modern Eagle Quatro
PRS Custom 22
Fender 62 Am. Vint. Strat
Duesenberg Starplayer TV
Parker DF622
Ibanez SV5470
Charvel San Dimas
PRS SE Custom SH
Ibanez FR-100
Yamaha RGX-A2
Squier Vint. Mod. Tele
To be honest, playing through headphones is not a true indicator of your tone. A good cab will contribute another layer of complexity. Find a place to wind it up a bit - then judge you tone.

I've set up some presets on my Triaxis that sound great at practice volume through my 2:90 in my spare bedroom that serves as my studio. If I wind up the amp at all, the tone changes completely, and I feel like the guy in the old Maxell commercial.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Last edited by Vulcan at Jan 13, 2012,
well considering that the boosted marshall was the amp of choice back then, im gonna go with that.

im gonna recommend a vintage modern
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
that's the kind of stuff i play, but i haven't played the blackstar. I'd say some of the ones you're looking at in your list wouldn't be what i'd want for those tones.

though i suspect vulcan's right- using headphones etc. can't be helping.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Vulcan
To be honest, playing through headphones is not a true indicator of your tone. A good cab will contribute another layer of complexity. Find a place to wind it up a bit - then judge you tone.

I know :/ but at the given situation i dont see any change any time soon, i live in the city and in a flat wich is really not great for cranking. I do find though that a mixer with the line-out sounds miles away from any headphone out ive heard so far.

Kemper Profiler fed by:
Suhr Modern
PRS Modern Eagle Quatro
PRS Custom 22
Duesenberg Starplayer TV
Parker DF622
Ibanez SV5470
Charvel San Dimas
PRS SE Custom SH
Ibanez FR-100
Yamaha RGX-A2
Squier Vint. Mod. Tele
Quote by Dave_Mc
that's the kind of stuff i play, but i haven't played the blackstar. I'd say some of the ones you're looking at in your list wouldn't be what i'd want for those tones.

though i suspect vulcan's right- using headphones etc. can't be helping.

what do you play through? :p

Kemper Profiler fed by:
Suhr Modern
PRS Modern Eagle Quatro
PRS Custom 22
Duesenberg Starplayer TV
Parker DF622
Ibanez SV5470
Charvel San Dimas
PRS SE Custom SH
Ibanez FR-100
Yamaha RGX-A2
Squier Vint. Mod. Tele
laney gh50l through a laney lionheart cab (g12h30s) or an engl savage se through a laney 4x12 with v30s. my marshall 18 watt clone will do the earlier 80s tones at a pinch, too.

i have strong suspicion it's the headphones, though.

that being said, you have a bunch of killer guitars there, and if you could crank them up a little (even to shouting volume) then an amp more aimed at those tone would probably be a good idea. EDIT: ah crap so cranking (even slightly) is a non-starter.

I dunno. Just watch you aren't spending money for the sake of it. at super low volumes almost anything is going to be a compromise in tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ADA MP-1 and a marshall valve power amp of some variety. And a cab with V30s.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by Dave_Mc
laney gh50l through a laney lionheart cab (g12h30s) or an engl savage se through a laney 4x12 with v30s. my marshall 18 watt clone will do the earlier 80s tones at a pinch, too.

i have strong suspicion it's the headphones, though.

that being said, you have a bunch of killer guitars there, and if you could crank them up a little (even to shouting volume) then an amp more aimed at those tone would probably be a good idea. EDIT: ah crap so cranking (even slightly) is a non-starter.

I dunno. Just watch you aren't spending money for the sake of it. at super low volumes almost anything is going to be a compromise in tone.

dang it those damn headphones :/ wish i had a band room or some place were i could crank it and leave my stuff...

but thanks for all the info so far :p

Kemper Profiler fed by:
Suhr Modern
PRS Modern Eagle Quatro
PRS Custom 22
Duesenberg Starplayer TV
Parker DF622
Ibanez SV5470
Charvel San Dimas
PRS SE Custom SH
Ibanez FR-100
Yamaha RGX-A2
Squier Vint. Mod. Tele
no worries
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hey man without hijacking ..

what kind of mixing do you use to play with heapdhone .. im a heapdhone player too .. so far the voodu valve have sound the best but i havent tried an amp into mixer and heapdhone after ?? bette rresult than the heapdhone jack of a amp ??
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Quote by Skysc

what kind of mixing do you use to play with heapdhone .. im a heapdhone player too .. so far the voodu valve have sound the best but i havent tried an amp into mixer and heapdhone after ?? bette rresult than the heapdhone jack of a amp ??

yes
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Keep your amp, and get a USB audio interface with modelling software like Amplitube Free or the LePou plugins.

Best tone you'll ever get through headphones, I guarantee.

If you don't like messing with computers, a Tonelab or POD would kick ass.
^ Between those options, I'd recommend going with the Tonelab/POD route. I spent $80 on the Amplitube software and the proprietary cable and the thing hardly works. Had to spend two hours tweaking it just to hear any sound at all and when I managed to make it work the tone was awful. The ass-kicker is since it's bundled with software you have to buy it new and once you do you're stuck.
Quote by Helicopters!
^ Between those options, I'd recommend going with the Tonelab/POD route. I spent $80 on the Amplitube software and the proprietary cable and the thing hardly works. Had to spend two hours tweaking it just to hear any sound at all and when I managed to make it work the tone was awful. The ass-kicker is since it's bundled with software you have to buy it new and once you do you're stuck.

Crikey, sounds like you got unlucky. Amplitube has an excellent full-feature free version now, but you'd still need to spend a little on a USB interface.

But yeah; I'm a huge fan of modelling software but if you're going to spend money you're better off with hardware that you can take with you to jams etc.
Quote by Skysc

I use a Maki 402 VLZ3, i used to have a small Marshall Solid State with Headphones out and my flat mate has a Marshall MG101FX and it sounds miles away from them. now i know the mg series isnt exactly loved but its still a significant difference. The only thing i had to look out for was that the amp has a Line-Out and not a Emulated Headphone jack. The mixer also alows you to tweak the sound a bit after your amp and recording is obviously a bliss :p

I can easily crank the channel volume (not the master, thats all the way down for silence) and get really nice tones that i always liked untill now that i want something a bit different.

Quote by kyle62
Keep your amp, and get a USB audio interface with modelling software like Amplitube Free or the LePou plugins.

Best tone you'll ever get through headphones, I guarantee.

If you don't like messing with computers, a Tonelab or POD would kick ass.

I actually had a USB interface bevore my amp, it was from Line6 i think but i gave it away beacuse i didnt like it. Everything kinda sounded very flat and sterile. Now i dont wanna go overboard but i also bought the Apogee Jam for the iPad. I thought it would be nice to have something when im traveling but man am i dissappointed by that thing it just sounds horrible (with Garage Band). I know its not the same as a more High-End modeler but still, im kinda turned off by Software based solutions by now :/

On a different point, about cranking and using a speaker cab what do you guys think of an Isolation Cabinet?

I remember when these came out but i never looked into it:
-Randall Isolation 12C
-Jet City Jetstream Iso12

This way it would be a real speaker istead of a voiced Line-Out but still headphones

Kemper Profiler fed by:
Suhr Modern
PRS Modern Eagle Quatro
PRS Custom 22
Duesenberg Starplayer TV
Parker DF622
Ibanez SV5470
Charvel San Dimas
PRS SE Custom SH
Ibanez FR-100
Yamaha RGX-A2
Squier Vint. Mod. Tele
If you HAVE to use headphones, get a modeller it'll get closer to 80s tones then any tube amp especially with delay etc through headphones which i can't imagine sounding great at all. I reckon the jet city jca2112rc would be better at 80s then the ht20 IMO but as stated 80s tones are ranked marshalls and soldanos basically so you're not going to get that at apartment volumes...
Quote by coolstoryangus
If you HAVE to use headphones, get a modeller it'll get closer to 80s tones then any tube amp especially with delay etc through headphones which i can't imagine sounding great at all. I reckon the jet city jca2112rc would be better at 80s then the ht20 IMO but as stated 80s tones are ranked marshalls and soldanos basically so you're not going to get that at apartment volumes...

Oh very nice one indeed! Do you thik the JCA 20H would be similiar or is it actually the same? it also says "Designed by Soldano" on the back and i dont really need a cab at this point, however!

As i am annoying everyone anway at this point for not accepting modellers how about a Hughes & Kettner Red Box?

So it would look something like this: Amp -> Red Box -> Mixer -> dreadfull headphones

Kemper Profiler fed by:
Suhr Modern
PRS Modern Eagle Quatro
PRS Custom 22
Duesenberg Starplayer TV
Parker DF622
Ibanez SV5470
Charvel San Dimas
PRS SE Custom SH
Ibanez FR-100
Yamaha RGX-A2
Squier Vint. Mod. Tele
What you need is a new home.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by pxoint
Oh very nice one indeed! Do you thik the JCA 20H would be similiar or is it actually the same? it also says "Designed by Soldano" on the back and i dont really need a cab at this point, however!

As i am annoying everyone anway at this point for not accepting modellers how about a Hughes & Kettner Red Box?

So it would look something like this: Amp -> Red Box -> Mixer -> dreadfull headphones

Jet city JCA2112RC and jca20h are the same except the combo and head thing, also the combo has tube reverb. My jca2112rc sounds good at low volumes for 80s... not sure you could use these for headphones though.. Also i forgot to mention that its not a modeller in my post although thats fairly obvious. I just think its a better choice for 80s then blackstar

I think for headphones a tube amp won't work usually. If you have a preamp or an amp with a preamp out you could use that into an interface and use impulses which would work good with headphones... I've done something like that with my ultra plus but the amp still has to be on and connected i suppose you could turn down the master but eh...

Modellers are still the easiest solution here IMO.
Quote by Cathbard

Could not agree any more, that or a super secret room of sound mayhem in deepest depth of a vulcano and then i can play eruption and say i erupted the vulcano.

Kemper Profiler fed by:
Suhr Modern
PRS Modern Eagle Quatro
PRS Custom 22
Duesenberg Starplayer TV
Parker DF622
Ibanez SV5470
Charvel San Dimas
PRS SE Custom SH
Ibanez FR-100
Yamaha RGX-A2
Squier Vint. Mod. Tele
Quote by Cathbard

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?