Hey guys,

Another chord video, giving you a bit of theory then showing you how to play the chords,
This week we're looking at eleventh chords,

Now I really focused on discussing how there are more options for these chords,
So hopefully from now the video's contain all you need to know as well as my message

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLYXvr1ZerQ

All the best,

Pat
Gear:
O'donnell - Cocobolo fusion
Maton - EBG808
Ibanez Stratocaster (1976)
Chapman ML1

Reynolds JFR25
THD Bivalve

YouTube Channel:
www.youtube.com/patdavidmusic
I'm a little confused because when you showed how to play a cmaj11, you left out the E which would create a sus chord. I thought it had that kinda sus sound.

The video was really good though
Quote by mrbabo91
I'm a little confused because when you showed how to play a cmaj11, you left out the E which would create a sus chord. I thought it had that kinda sus sound.

The video was really good though

Completely understand mate, I spent quite a bit of time discussing which chords i was playing but after i get back tomorrow night, i'll add in links to more 11th chords and annotations to which chords I'm playing,

Thankyou for your kind words
Pat
Gear:
Maton - EBG808
Chapman ML1

Reynolds JFR25
THD Bivalve

YouTube Channel:
lucky me, i just tuned my guitar to bmin11 and can make all three voicings with a barre and 1-2 extra fingers
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Zeppelin Addict
Nicely done!

Always been a big fan of this link for finding more voicings. Can never have too many!

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/

Actually, for 4 note chords its 24 voicings and if you add extensions, it goes on to 120 voicings.
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

Patrick,

I see what you are trying to do, but I think you missed something, that should have been stressed.

The Major 11th is an ugly chord, because it clashes with the major 3rd. You circumvent the 3rd in your example, and so it's not a major chord, using your word "nitpicking". But I think its an important nit picky because...it acknowledges that the 3rd is the sole determinant of a major or minor chord.

So when you played that, I think it would be important to acknowledge that in fact it's not a Major 11. It's a pretty chord, no doubt but its closer to a sus chord. Maj 9 sus4, I'd go with.

In fact, when we look at how we deal with a Major 11th, when we use the 3rd, to compensate for that we actually raise the 11, and hence we have a Maj7#11, also known as our famous Lydian chord. Raising that 11, takes away that minor 2 dissonance between E and F by making F into F# (a major second).

There's not a question in my mind that YOU know this, but my point in posting this is to hopefully annotate this condition for those who don't know better, because in my mind the preservation of understanding the power of the 3rd degree in a chord, is an important one to maintain. I apologize if that sounds nitpicky, its not trying to be, but I think the 3rd is a fundamental element to understanding chords and their functions, and I would have loved to see that distinction made in the video. As always you're heart continues to be in the right place, and by now you know I respect you, I hope.

Best,

Sean
I've never seen a Maj11 chord. The 11th clashes too much with the major 7th. That's why you normally see maj7#11.

Maj add 11 chords are more common, and sound nice
hey guys,

a big thank you to hit man, sean, griff and zanon,

definitely very helpful information indeed, a think with a big host of annotations is in order!
Thank you all for the continued support \m/

Pat
Gear:
Maton - EBG808
Chapman ML1

Reynolds JFR25
THD Bivalve

YouTube Channel: