Page 1 of 4
What songs do you think people have no reason not to like? I'm talking about songs with absolutely no non-mainstream techniques used, such as screaming, growling or extremely down-tuned guitars, yet aren't well-received.

For me, it's Hell's Kitchen by Dream Theater. It's an amazing and beautiful song. There's no screaming, growling, or even vocals actually. All the melodies (with the exception of the bass, obviously) are well-within the acceptable range of tones for most people, I would say. Sure, the drumming is progressive, but honest to God, if I'm not into progressive music right now, I still wouldn't mind progressive drumming because they're kind of mystical. Like, "How is he doing that without going out of time?"
Because it's a progressive metal/rock song? The music you think is normal and beautiful might go over people's heads.

OT: "Here Comes a Regular" - The Replacements
you're a stone fox
Listening to that song in the OP link to see if i think it's any good >.>

So far it's not doing it, it just sounds like a lot of 'epic' sounding guitary stuff. I find it cheesy.

On topic, a lot of my music i understand is abrasive in some way or another so i can understand why people don't like it. However, people who say The Doors suck for instance or think Johnny Cash sucks for example, tend to be people i dislike.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jan 13, 2012,
Don't even get me started. I won't stop. So I won't even start.

Dream Theather (however the **** I spell I don't give a shit) are terrible.

Whoever thinks Bob Dylan isn't the best musician ever ain't worth talking to.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Jan 13, 2012,
Because holy mother of God, it's boring.

When I listen to this I feel like I should be wearing leather pants and a puffy pirate shirt, with mascara on my face, and my hair teased up in aqua net as I cry over my leather clad ex girlfriend and pray for Ronald Reagan to be out of office.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Zoot, Johnny Cash was far greater of a man than you'll ever be.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Dream theater sucks ass. Thats why.
Gibson SG Special - Tony Iommi pickups
Martin 000CXEBLACK acoustic/electric

Lefties Unite
IS THIS IT?
Nah, most music I listen to people either really love or hate.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Any Japanese music.
I listen to maybe two bands out of the entire Japanese music industry and people look down on me when I say they're Japanese. I don't get a straight answer why Japanese rock is not acceptable. It sounds great. The only difference is that it's another language. Is that the only reason why people don't like it?
Quote by Extra Ordinary
Any Japanese music.
I listen to maybe two bands out of the entire Japanese music industry and people look down on me when I say they're Japanese. I don't get a straight answer why Japanese rock is not acceptable. It sounds great. The only difference is that it's another language. Is that the only reason why people don't like it?

It's probably a combination of that and a lot of people associate anything Japanese = Weaboo.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I was gonna link to the TS's profile page, but he doesn't have any tunes.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
I was gonna link to the TS's profile page, but he doesn't have any tunes.

That has got to do with me not understanding people's taste because...?

Quote by Extra Ordinary
Any Japanese music.

Flower Travellin' Band is one of the greatest bands that ever walked the face of the other. Acid Mothers Temple, too. You get no argument out of me.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Quote by Jack Off Jill
Because holy mother of God, it's boring.

When I listen to this I feel like I should be wearing leather pants and a puffy pirate shirt, with mascara on my face, and my hair teased up in aqua net as I cry over my leather clad ex girlfriend and pray for Ronald Reagan to be out of office.

Hells Kitchen's ight, but tbh it's not really an accessible song. It was the first song I heard by DT and it almost kept me away from the band if I hadn't heard Change of Seasons immediately afterwards. Now THERE'S a song any self respecting Progger or Metalhead should love.
TS, I like that song and I've never heard it before. Thank you. There was that one little shreddy bit about halfway through that I didn't like all that much but it wasn't long.

I really have no idea how someone can actively dislike this song, except maybe for its length.

EDIT: JustRooster, kill yourself.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Last edited by Reisgar42 at Jan 13, 2012,
Quote by Reisgar42
TS, I like that song and I've never heard it before. Thank you. There was that one little shreddy bit about halfway through that I didn't like all that much but it wasn't long.

I really have no idea how someone can actively dislike this song, except maybe for its length.

This has to be a joke. I stopped it after the first sound. That was abysmal.
Gibson SG Special - Tony Iommi pickups
Martin 000CXEBLACK acoustic/electric

Lefties Unite
IS THIS IT?
Quote by Jettski1
This has to be a joke. I stopped it after the first sound. That was abysmal.

Personal taste then I don't see why you have to be such a dick about everything in this thread though.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Quote by StewieSwan
Hallelujah

This.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EidJV2mb9h8

One of the most beautiful songs of all time.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Don't even get me started. I won't stop. So I won't even start.

Dream Theather (however the **** I spell I don't give a shit) are terrible.

Whoever thinks Bob Dylan isn't the best musician ever ain't worth talking to.

Bob Dylan isn't the best musician ever. He is my favorite artist though.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Everyone loves Django reinhardt. e.g. Minor swing

Right? Right???? : S

Cause I do!!!!

P.s. Dream theatre... Ugh. Very boring indeed. Playing the same music for 30 somewhat years.
Quote by Reisgar42

I really like that song, thanks for sharing it. Got any other recommendations for any similar bands?
Quote by NothingRocks
I really like that song, thanks for sharing it. Got any other recommendations for any similar bands?

I haven't really found anything that I can put next to this band and call similar, but another band I got into around the same time was this one.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Quote by Swannie
Bob Dylan isn't the best musician ever. He is my favorite artist though.

Best songwriter, lyricist whatever. Good enough for me. But John Petrucci is by far the best guitarist. He's very fast.
People who aren't into Soundgarden aren't people. They're dumb animals.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by JohnnyGenzale
I.e best musician. Or I shall spell it out so it's simple. Best artist/band inside music/the music industry. End communication.

Not if your brain works. You can favor someone's music even if you acknowledge that their work isn't as intricate and involved as another artist's. I understand that the more famous shredders are more technically virtuosic than anybody that I tend to listen to and thus more skilled musicians and I respect them for that, but I'm just not a fan of their work.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Best songwriter, lyricist whatever. Good enough for me. But John Petrucci is by far the best guitarist. He's very fast.

What does that have to do with being a good guitarist?
you're a stone fox
Quote by Reisgar42
Not if your brain works. You can favor someone's music even if you acknowledge that their work isn't as intricate and involved as another artist's. I understand that the more famous shredders are more technically virtuosic than anybody that I tend to listen to and thus more skilled musicians and I respect them for that, but I'm just not a fan of their work.

Whatever. I thought this thread was opinion based. Why are you questioning my opinions? My opinions > yours as far as I'm concerned.

People have horrible taste and never learn yet they think they listen to good music. Pity

Quote by Jack Off Jill
People who aren't into Soundgarden aren't people. They're dumb animals.
Fallacy
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by behind_you
Fallacy

Because people are dumb animals?

/goth kid

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Page 1 of 4