*I'm looking for a versatile amp. One that won't be wasted practicing at home but can also be heard over drums in garage jamming sessions and maybe handle small gigs in the future.
*Money isn't really an issue but I still wouldn't want to spend much more than $600. The cheaper the better.
*Essentially I love a nice distortion. I always loved the 90's distortions. Kyuss, Nirvana Corrosion of conformity are amongst my favourite bands. Led Zeppelin, Queens of the Stone Age are also up there. So I like my Rock and Grunge. Decent clean tones would be nice, but can be done without.
*I'm willing to consider new or used gear. I'm based in Melbourne, Australia so alot of stuff is in limited supply.
*In possession of a Fender Strat atm. I think I have a DS 1 lying around somewhere as well.
*I convinced myself that a secondhand Blackheart little giant head would be perfect, but someone got to it first I've been looking at the Vox ACTV4 combo/head since then. I also recently discovered a deal for the Lil night train online which sounded quite nice (I could afford the actual night train but I suspect it wouldn't be suited to my purposes.) Generally I'm not a fan of the sound of SS's but I am open to suggestions in that direction.
You'll just have to continue to scour the used market down there. I really can't think of anything new that will work for you. An AC4TV will be worthless in a garage jamming session with drums. Hell even the Blackheart would probably struggle but the Blackheart does seem like a good fit for what you want. I'd look for a used Marshall DSL - that will probably be your best bet. There are a few Laneys and Orange amps that would work too if you can find one.
Kind of odd, but I'd actually suggest a Peavey XXX combo. As long as you keep the gain knobs down and learn how to EQ it, it should work well for your needs.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Cheers for the advice. Had a look at a JC A20 today and loved the sound of it. My main concern is that the volume might not be enough for gigs. But thats simply because I didn't get the chance to really crank it up in the store. I'm also keeping an eye on the local used music stores.
Quote by macglockenspiel
Cheers for the advice. Had a look at a JC A20 today and loved the sound of it. My main concern is that the volume might not be enough for gigs. But thats simply because I didn't get the chance to really crank it up in the store. I'm also keeping an eye on the local used music stores.

you'll be fine with the volume. i can play over a band with a 6watt amp
The JCA 20 is a good amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate