Im just starting to get into bass. I've been playing guitar for about a year now and also want to get into bass.
I wanna know two things:
- Are Schecter basses any good?
- If so, is the Schecter Omen 4 a good starting bass? (I don't care about the price)
Any help is appreciated.
Yes and yes.

Do you have an amp to play it through? And before you ask, no you can't just plug it into your guitar amp if you value your ears OR the amp.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
schecters are just fine. you'll find at the low-end there really aren't a lot of differences. still, for that price you could bump up a bit and get a squier CV/VM model which are about the same quality as a fender hundreds of dollars more.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by ChemicalFire
Yes and yes.

Do you have an amp to play it through? And before you ask, no you can't just plug it into your guitar amp if you value your ears OR the amp.

Ill end up buying an amp. Any good, smaller amps you suggest? I dont know much about amps. I only know about the instruments themselves.
Quote by Hail
schecters are just fine. you'll find at the low-end there really aren't a lot of differences. still, for that price you could bump up a bit and get a squier CV/VM model which are about the same quality as a fender hundreds of dollars more.

I looked up that Squier. I dont know, I like the look of the Schecter better, especially since the body has a natural maple finish, and sounds really good for what Im gonna be playing.
Those Schecters are okay, I guess.

But I will second bumping up the price and going for a Squier Vintage Modified. The VM Jazz punches way above its weight, even though it's been out for a few years and its competitors have attempted to release equivalents. The Schecter might look more modern and metal, but the VM is just plain and simple a better bass. Schecter don't compete until you get to the Stiletto series, which are in the same market as the Fender Mexico series (though the Stiletto's beat the shit out of Fender MIM's for quality of construction).
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Last edited by Caustic at Jan 13, 2012,
Quote by Caustic
Those Schecters are okay, I guess.

But I will second bumping up the price and going for a Squier Vintage Modified. The VM Jazz punches way above its weight, even though it's been out for a few years and its competitors have attempted to release equivalents. The Schecter might look more modern and metal, but the VM is just plain and simple a better bass. Schecter don't compete until you get to the Stiletto series, which are in the same market as the Fender Mexico series (though the Stiletto's beat the shit out of Fender MIM's for quality of construction).

The problem is, I dont make THAT much money, so bumping up the price is kind of a big deal, especially when I still need to buy a bass amp. Im sure eventually I'll buy a squier. I, personally, like the sound and looks of the Schecter. I just wanted to make sure that it's as good as it is being perceived in some reviews.
So money is an issue, contrary to your first post . In which case, play it. If you like the feel and like the sound in-person, then buy it. Make sure you play it through the kind of amp you intend to buy yourself though. Guitar stores will hand you a bass and plug it into their top of the range backline stuff to get you to buy - don't fall for it. Think about the range of gear you intend to pay for and make sure you know what it is you're going to fork your cash over for.

Again, as I said, Schecters aren't bad, though for the lower end of gear I'd personally buy a Yamaha. Quality control is better, if you're a betting man.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Last edited by Caustic at Jan 14, 2012,
Quote by Caustic
So money is an issue, contrary to your first post . In which case, play it. If you like the feel and like the sound in-person, then buy it. Make sure you play it through the kind of amp you intend to buy yourself though. Guitar stores will hand you a bass and plug it into their top of the range backline stuff to get you to buy - don't fall for it. Think about the range of gear you intend to pay for and make sure you know what it is you're going to fork your cash over for.

Again, as I said, Schecters aren't bad, though for the lower end of gear I'd personally buy a Yamaha. Quality control is better, if you're a betting man.

Money isnt a problem, in relation to the Schecter itself, cause im close to the amount for the bass and dont wanna go over, for a first bass. The problem is, no store within a 25 mile radius of me have the bass in stock, so I would need to order it just to play it...
Try used, if you don't want to over spend for a beginner bass. And definitely go used for a beginner practice amp.

We have this kind of thread with beginners every day almost on the hour. Just cause it looks modern and metal don't mean it's the best metal bass or bass in general.

Pawn shops, craigslist or whatever you have locally. A beginner amp is generally little more than a headphone amp, and just enough volume that you'll piss off neighbors in your appt. if you live in one. Going used, you could probably come out with a better bass. and maybe save some money to start your next round of buying a better amp if need be.