So I'm in the market for a decent amp head and I tried a 3120 today and it sounded pretty good, better than a Mesa Triple Recto for my needs anyways. I also saw the Peavey XXX-II, I didn't get to try it, but I plan on going back to try it tomorrow. I was just wondering what the difference in XXX-II and the 3120 was? I know the XXX-II has a couple added features, but I heard the 3120 was based on the original XXX's, and both amps come stocked with EL34's I believe. So are there any major tone differences between the amps?
I'm asking because the 3120 is $200 less than the XXX-II.

Also as a side note, how does the EVH 5150 III compare to the two peaveys, because the shop also has that amp for a pretty decent price.

EDIT: Also how do these new Peavey's compare to the old XXX and JSX amps, are they worth buying new, or would the original used versions be a better buy?
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
Last edited by mrxtreme_4 at Jan 13, 2012,
You'll want to get this confirmed but I'm pretty sure the XXX II is the JSX replacement. If that is true then the XXX II should have slightly better cleans, a bit smoother gain, an active (more complex) EQ and just a tad more 'professional sounding'.

Personally, I'd just buy an old XXX or JSX if that is what you are after.

The 5150 III is be very similar to these as well. Again, I wouldn't buy one new.

My advice is to follow the Sticky for 'What Amp?' or at least add in what kind of music you play, budget, etc....
I already made a thread on amp recommendations, but I was just wondering what exactly the deal was with these new vs old Peaveys. I'm not 100% set on them... I was actually going for a dual recto (or roadster) until I tried the triple recto and was disappointed. Now I think the recto series might not be right for me.

And the 5150III would have to be new, I haven't seen a used one around.
Gear:
Line6 UX2
I've seen 5153s used all over the place. Check Rig-Talk.com and use the Look Up link in my sig.

The Roadster and Road King are on a completely different level than the Triple Rec. I wouldn't base your whole 'Recto' experience on the Triple Rectifier.
I don't think there's any gut shots out there yet, but the control panels of the XXX II - JSX and 3120 - XXX are identical. If there are any changes at all, it'd most likely just be an improved noise gate, like the 3120 supposedly has.

Where are you located? I wasn't aware that the XXX II was ever released.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Ontario, Canada. I never heard of the XXX-II, I just saw it in the store today.
Gear:
Line6 UX2
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
You'll want to get this confirmed but I'm pretty sure the XXX II is the JSX replacement. If that is true then the XXX II should have slightly better cleans, a bit smoother gain, an active (more complex) EQ and just a tad more 'professional sounding'.

Personally, I'd just buy an old XXX or JSX if that is what you are after.

The 5150 III is be very similar to these as well. Again, I wouldn't buy one new.

My advice is to follow the Sticky for 'What Amp?' or at least add in what kind of music you play, budget, etc....

Doesn't the 3120 have an active eq as well?
otherwise +1
like said before the 3120 is the original XXX with EL34 tubes stock instead of 6L6 tubes. The XXX II is the JSX with a new name because Satriani left Peavey and they just rebranded them.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I've seen 5153s used all over the place. Check Rig-Talk.com and use the Look Up link in my sig.

The Roadster and Road King are on a completely different level than the Triple Rec. I wouldn't base your whole 'Recto' experience on the Triple Rectifier.

+311. the triple rec has never really sounded any better than the dual. IMO the tripple rec is pretty much the same but when you have to retube costs a $100 or so more and has a some extra headroom. also the two channels sound alot better than the three channels for both amps.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
So I tried a Roadking today and it was noticeably better than the Triple rec, probably my favorite clean and classic crunch tones out of all the amps I tried, so thick and rich. However I still preferred the 3120 and 6505 high gain as opposed to the Mesa's, they just have the sound I'm going for out of the box, maybe the Mesa would be great with a TS9 or something , anyone have any experiences with that setup? Since versatility is important I'm leaning towards the 3120 as opposed to the 6505. I really liked the 3120 overall and if 311ZOSOVHJH is correct about his XXX-II description, than that might be the perfect amp for me. And since it seems that these amps are similar if not identical to their originals than I might as well go for a JSX used. As for the EVH5153, I don't think I'll be getting that unless it blows the Peaveys out of the water since the Peaveys are easy to find used around me and will save me a lot of cash.

Quote by coolstoryangus
Doesn't the 3120 have an active eq as well?

I believe the original XXX and 3120 both have active EQ's
Gear:
Line6 UX2
The Roadking is my favorite amp, but if you like the 3120, that's what you like. You don't really have to reason with your ears, just get what you like.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Sorry. I didn't realize the EQ on the XXX was active.

Yeah its cool but it makes for a stupid amount of tweaking.