I'm planning on buying an Epiphone Gothic Explorer and want to put EMGs in it. My first question is should I get and 81/85 combo or 81/60? I'll mostly be playing Dethklok, Melodic Death Metal and similar genres (COB, Kalmah, Norther, Ensiferum, Wintersun), some Thrash (Metallica, Megadeth), and buckethead.

Second question is will putting new pickups in affect the kill pot? Having never changed pickups in a guitar (my ESP SV and previous Jackson Warrior came with them, my Dean Z 79 still has stock pups), I'm not sure what putting in new ones will affect. Noob question, I know. The kill pot is a good selling point for me as I want to play buckethead stuff properly and I think its a cool gimmick.

Thanks.
Why don't you just buy the 84 Reissue or a bit more for a Prophecy?

Get what you want right out of the box. You can buy a killswitch for it later.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 14, 2012,
The killswitch is built into the tone pot, so you'll lose it when you swap out the pots.

If you can get a 25K push-pull pot, you can wire it back up to be a killswitch again.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
The killswitch is built into the tone pot, so you'll lose it when you swap out the pots.

If you can get a 25K push-pull pot, you can wire it back up to be a killswitch again.

Could I just buy the Kill Pot from Shadow Electronics and install that when I put the EMGs in?

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Why don't you just buy the 84 Reissue or a bit more for a Prophecy?

Get what you want right out of the box. You can buy a killswitch for it later.

I can't find any 84 Reissue's anywhere and don't want to spend any more on the guitar. I'll probably get an 81/60 combo anyway, and the others only have 81/85s. Also I like the look of the Goth.
Last edited by Tigemite at Jan 14, 2012,
Quote by Tigemite
Could I just buy the Kill Pot from Shadow Electronics and install that when I put the EMGs in?

Not unless they make a 25k pot.

I can't find any 84 Reissue's anywhere and don't want to spend any more on the guitar. I'll probably get an 81/60 combo anyway, and the others only have 81/85s. Also I like the look of the Goth.

I recommend 81//85 for what you've said, but any cleans at all and you'd want 81/60.