A little backstory, I bought the M-Audio ProFire 610 a couple years back. Worked fine for a year, then crapped out. No computer can recognize it and M-Audio won't help me without charging ridiculous repair fees by the hour. AKA, I'm not happy with them - $400 down the drain.

So I'm in the market for a cheap(er) usb recording device. Cut back to two lines in, and around 100-150 dollars.

I seem to keep stumbling on the PreSonus AudioBox
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/presonus-audiobox-usb-2x2-usb-recording-system

And the Tascam US-144
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/tascam-us-144mkii-usb-2.0-4-channel-audio-midi-interface

Any advice on these two or others I should look into? Am I going to still get decent quality recording over USB?

Love to all ya'll!
50th Anniversary American Deluxe Strat 3-tone Sunburst
Crate XT120r Amp
Epiphone Valve Jr. w/ Jensen P8r
Boss DS1
Digitech RP300 MultiFX
Try something from Line 6. I have a GX Tone Port and it works great. Didnt really cost very much and they have several versions. I think they are called GX Studio now or something. Mine is an older model but its basically the same just different color. It comes with a nice program called Pod Farm. Lots of great tones and sounds. I have been using mine for a few years now and havent had to many complaints. Records are good also. you can adjust the latency settings based on the speed of your computer. Its my primary source for recording and my tone comes through great.
That looks like it would be perfect for my guitar, but I'm hoping to record from my microphones as well. Am I mistaken, or is it only one input? I like the idea of adjusting the latency settings, we have a very very capable computer to use and cranking everything up seems like a good idea
Crate XT120r Amp
Boss DS1
Digitech RP300 MultiFX
You are aware the ProFire needs to be ran through a firewire port, right?
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Yeah, I've had it running with both 4 and 6 Pin ports. I think that the box shorted during a driver update to windows 7. A lot of people have this problem documented with no solution. I Have to figureusb will be more consistent.FireWire seems on the outs anyway.
Crate XT120r Amp
Boss DS1
Digitech RP300 MultiFX
On the Gx there is only one port. you can plug a mic with a 1/4in jack in and put the tone setting in pod farm to just a mic setting. Also there is a model that isnt much more that is called I belived UX2 and it has the xlr input for a mic.