i've been setting my intonation on the 3rd string and I'm required to push the saddle back towards the bridge.

The issue is once I set the saddle back I tighten up the intonation screw and tune my string back up to a G. As the string tightens, the saddle pushes forward towards the neck causing the intonation to go sharp once again. I can't get the saddle to stay in place..

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Could it be a bad screw possibly? This has never happened to me before and this badly intonated G string is driving me insane..
Last edited by dannydawiz at Jan 14, 2012,
Yeah the only thing I can think of is that the screw is not holding onto the saddle or is stripped on either the screw, the saddle, or both
Quote by Kromeo
Yeah the only thing I can think of is that the screw is not holding onto the saddle or is stripped on either the screw, the saddle, or both

Thank yoU.

So it has absoloutely nothing to do with the guitar setup?

The screw for sure is stripped but I just wanted to make sure that the problem was the screw and not the guitar. Does anyone have a website that they reccomend for buying new saddle screws for adjusting the intonation?
Quote by ethan_hanus
Once you get it innotated, before you tighten up the strings, wiggle the saddle around and make sure it's not binded up. If it is stripped at that certain place...time to get new saddles.

Let me do my best to describe the situation.

As soon as I pushed the saddle back enough I would tighten up the intonation screw. After tightening the intonation screw I would apply pressure on the saddle with my finger to test if it was locked down or not. There was definitely resistance on the saddle but not enough to keep it held down permanently from the tension of the strings.

So is it just the stripped screw or is it the whole saddle that needs to be replaced?
If the screw is stripped, then the threads in the saddle are stripped...unless you have a tap and die, you're gonna have to replace them. And it'll prolly be an upgrade cause I'm assuming you have a cheap Strat copy guitar, which the saddles always suck on those guitars.
Quote by ethan_hanus
If the screw is stripped, then the threads in the saddle are stripped...unless you have a tap and die, you're gonna have to replace them. And it'll prolly be an upgrade cause I'm assuming you have a cheap Strat copy guitar, which the saddles always suck on those guitars.

Understood thanks for the guidance. I am terrible when it comes to the mechanical side of the instrument. Although the guitar isn't one the those starter pack strat guitars the saddles probably arent the best quality.

Thanks and you have my best regards!
Sounds like you are describing a floyd rose bridge. Their saddles arent threaded, the threads are in the baseplate. Try swapping the screw with one from another saddle and see if the problem moves with the screw,
Quote by sic6505+
Sounds like you are describing a floyd rose bridge. Their saddles arent threaded, the threads are in the baseplate. Try swapping the screw with one from another saddle and see if the problem moves with the screw,

Im sorry I forgot to include that my guitar is indeed equpped with a floyd rose. I didn't know that It changed the situation. Ill try that out in a moment and get back to you.