SO I finally paid off my new toy and took it home today.
It's a peavey 5150 2x12 combo. (NAD as soon as I can find a camera and play with it a bit more.) It's my first tube amp and is a step up from a vypyr 75.

I'm not going to lie, I play the "br00tz" but not exclusively. Guitar is solely a hobby for me and I don't have any aspirations outside of playing stuff that sounds pleaseing to my ears. That being said, I really like the band TooL (going to see them in vegas this sunday!!!) and love all the effects and stuff they play with.

I don't really know about pedals and effects except for what I would use on the vypyr but I didn't really look at what they were. I just turned knobs until it sounded good.

Anyway, I ramble, now that I have a new toy I get to start saving for my next peice of gear. I have no idea where I want to go now. Currently I have the peavy 5150 combo and a Schecter Damien Fr I've had since I started 5+ years ago.

How do you go about deciding what you get for guitar and stuff like that? What do you guys reccomend I start saving for or picking up?
Sorry for the long post and especially if it doesn't make sense. It's late and stuff...
Well, most people will start out with some kind of boost, like an OD pedal. 5150s and amps like them like to have a boost, not for more gain, but to tighten the sound up a bit and make the amp more pissed off and aggressive.

The next thing is generally some sort of atmosphere pedal, this can be a delay or a reverb. It'll give your solos and clean tones that spacey sound. A reverb pedal can sound way more out there than anything an amp can produce with its spring reverb, generally, and is great for sounding like your amp is set up in a big cave or something. Delay is a bit different because the repeats are much clearer and not smushed together like reverb.

After these two, it's really up to you. A wah is a good idea if you're funk-minded/play lead a lot. Chorus might be nice to have for cleans. Flanger and phaser are good for specific sounds, like Van Halen-y type stuff. If you want to get some crazy noises, you could look at a pitch shifter, or an envelope filter, or a ring modulator.

The sky's the limit with effects, and it only gets bigger the more you look into them, and the more you look into specific types of each effect (analog vs. digital, rack vs. pedal, VSTs, etc.)
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
You want a tubescreamer of some sort. Try a Way Huge Green Rhino. It's a tubescreamer with some control over more than distortion and treble.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Raijouta

The sky's the limit with effects, and it only gets bigger the more you look into them, and the more you look into specific types of each effect (analog vs. digital, rack vs. pedal, VSTs, etc.)

Looks like I have reading to do.

I was thinking something like a chorus or something for the cleans...I can't quite dial in a nice clean tone that I like...

Quote by Cathbard
You want a tubescreamer of some sort. Try a Way Huge Green Rhino. It's a tubescreamer with some control over more than distortion and treble.

I keep hearing this. Even the dud I bought it from said I should need any kind of distortion added in front of the amp but I might want and OD to "tighten" up my sound.
I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have one.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly how presence and resonance work. I don't really know what to do with them. I've been told them help shape lows and highs respectively but I don't know how to tweak them so I like the way they sound.

Thanks for the replys guys. I'm super excited about having a nice piece of gear (not to knock my schecter but....meh) but I also have a lot to learn, appearently.
Quote by zilant
Looks like I have reading to do.

I was thinking something like a chorus or something for the cleans...I can't quite dial in a nice clean tone that I like...

I keep hearing this. Even the dud I bought it from said I should need any kind of distortion added in front of the amp but I might want and OD to "tighten" up my sound.
I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have one.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly how presence and resonance work. I don't really know what to do with them. I've been told them help shape lows and highs respectively but I don't know how to tweak them so I like the way they sound.

Thanks for the replys guys. I'm super excited about having a nice piece of gear (not to knock my schecter but....meh) but I also have a lot to learn, appearently.

I think "Presence" on a amp is supposed to affect how the guitar sounds. turn it one way,it won't be noticed much,turn it other way it will be bright and noticed.
Quote by Baconator1228
You might also want to consider new speakers.

What would swapping out speakers accomplish? what kind of speakers should I consider?
I think you should just work with what you've got for a while. Improving your technique will go much further in the long run than buying more stuff. Pedals can only do so much.

However, I completely agree with getting an overdrive pedal and I absolutely love my Ibanez TS9DX overdrive pedal. I'm also a sucker for a wah and a delay.
Join a band, it's great fun.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
I'd say an OD and a delay is almost a must have if you play lead at all.
Chorus is nice, specially on clean, or with distortion for that 80's sound.

Phaser is just for fun. Hehe.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by Baconator1228
You might also want to consider new speakers.

Came in here to say this.
Celestion vintage 30s are pretty much the standard speaker combined with 5150s (The speaker found in mesa, orange etc cabs) but there are other speakers that would work too some may even work better. Either way Peavey speakers arent too great and you'll see an immense improvement in tone if you get new speakers.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Jan 14, 2012,
Quote by AtaBorMan
I'd say an OD and a delay is almost a must have if you play lead at all.
Chorus is nice, specially on clean, or with distortion for that 80's sound.

Phaser is just for fun. Hehe.

As well as a Compressor pedal,a compressor even outs the volume.
Quote by Cathbard
You want a tubescreamer of some sort.

+1

heck even a cheap clone like a joyo would work to see if you like it.

i'd say either od, noise gate, or speaker upgrade. those'd be the three i'd look at, assuming you're talking about fairly small things to get (i.e. you're not looking at getting another amp or guitar ).

EDIT: or chorus/delay/reverb to liven up the cleans a little.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
An OD will improve your "Br00t" sounds. It will cut some of the flubbiness out of the bass but still retain a nice low end - it just makes your chugs more distinct and clear, rather than muddy and undefined. An OD will also enhance your pinch harmonics. I run an Ibanez TS-9 but there are many others that work just as well or even better. (The Green Rhino supposedly doesn't cut as much bass - but it's more expensive.)

As to effects, I can't recommend enough the TC Electronic Hall of Fame Reverb. If you don't have the cash for a lot of pedals, that one will GREATLY enhance your clean tone. I tried a Chorus with my 6505+ and it helped the clean channel quite a bit, but I like my cleans to be really ambient and a chorus won't do that alone. With some of the reverb settings on my Hall of Fame it starts to sound like there's a Chorus in there too, and with some of the Toneprints you can download there is definitely Chorus added.

A delay would be nice too, but if I could only keep one effect pedal, it would be my Hall of Fame.

Be careful when upgrading your speakers, they can make a HUGE difference in your sound. Since you have two speakers it won't be quite as big of a deal, but I'd only upgrade them one at a time rather than going for a full swap.

The Celestion V30 is always recommended, but I can tell you I bought an Eminence Governor (very similar to a V30) and with just one speaker, I do not like the tone - there's too much top-end and mids on an already mid-heavy amp.
Last edited by KailM at Jan 14, 2012,
I don't know if I really feel the need for a speaker swap.

Looks like an overdrive of somekind is next in line. I can see where tightening up the sound is pertinent. Maybe a chorus or something after...

I have a wah but it's the dunlop Crybaby from Hell. It was a gift though and I'm not that into it.

I actually considered saving for a new guitar as well. or maybe a pickup swap. I'm not a huge fan of the passive EMG's I have.
I'm also not sure if the Damien Fr is worth investing in. It's not a bad guitar but it certainly isn't high caliber.