A couple things come to mind you might try. On the bridge (I don't know exactly what it's like) are there any adjustment screws that could be lose? How about the plate where the strings go through the body? Can you check the rings around the pups and see if there's a loose screw there?

Now, about the pickups, I've heard what you said -- doesn't matter if which one(s) on or off. But it does make me wonder about something. Did you recently change the action height?
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
The action height has been changed a ton of times in recent attempts to fix it. The action hadn't been messed with before the ringing began though. Like I said, I tried lowering and raising the action plenty of times to see if it made a difference; it didn't.

I remember checking the plate where the strings go through the body when I first began having these problems. It was slightly lose and I tightened the screws up, but it didn't make a difference.

I am fairly sure there aren't any lose adjustments screws anywhere, and that the rings around the pickups are fine, but I'll check again when I can get my hands on it tomorrow. That sort of thing was the first thing I checked for and I don't remember anything being out of place or messed up, but I'll give it another lookover as soon as I can. Thanks for the suggestions =)

I'm beginning to highly suspect that it is something with the bridge, and more specifically the saddle of the low E string because of the pitch of the ringing matching that of when I pick the string behind the bridge. It seems like the vibration of the strings is carrying through past the bridge instead of stopping, maybe. When I have good daylight tomorrow I'm going to look at it through a magnifying glass and see if the saddle or the surrounding area seems damaged at all.
Quote by Thermon
The action height has been changed a ton of times in recent attempts to fix it. The action hadn't been messed with before the ringing began though. Like I said, I tried lowering and raising the action plenty of times to see if it made a difference; it didn't.

I remember checking the plate where the strings go through the body when I first began having these problems. It was slightly lose and I tightened the screws up, but it didn't make a difference.

I am fairly sure there aren't any lose adjustments screws anywhere, and that the rings around the pickups are fine, but I'll check again when I can get my hands on it tomorrow. That sort of thing was the first thing I checked for and I don't remember anything being out of place or messed up, but I'll give it another lookover as soon as I can. Thanks for the suggestions =)

I'm beginning to highly suspect that it is something with the bridge, and more specifically the saddle of the low E string because of the pitch of the ringing matching that of when I pick the string behind the bridge. It seems like the vibration of the strings is carrying through past the bridge instead of stopping, maybe. When I have good daylight tomorrow I'm going to look at it through a magnifying glass and see if the saddle or the surrounding area seems damaged at all.

My thought with changing the action would be if the height change made it so the string wasn't playing nice with the poles of your pickups.

Next time you change strings check that plate. I'm not sure if they were glued down or what, but a small amount of vibration could make a difference -- same for any set screws. They might not seem loose at first glance but could possibly vibrate at a high enough frequency to cause something. And of course the rings of the pup, too.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Okay, I just looked up the V79 to figure out what kind of bridge it has. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's a Tune-O-Matic. This will help in diagnosing the problem.

I'm thinking it's one of the adjustment screws for the saddles.

Then there's this: http://carvinbbs.com/viewtopic.php?p=332627

Is the string touching the back edge of the bridge? The topic I just posted a link for talks about a person encountering the same thing as you -- and it appears the string was being pulled down at a steep enough angle to cause it to lay on the bridge itself.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Last edited by richardlpalmer at Jan 14, 2012,
Yup, it has a tune-o-matic. I checked a few things like the pickup rings, adjustment screws on the bridge, etc. Here's what I've found

The plate on the back is screwed on, I'm fairly sure no glue was used.

I did check and see if the strings touched anywhere on the bridge. None touched the actual bridge itself, but the G, B, and high E did tough the adjustment screws. They aren't having any trouble though, so I don't think that matters much. I took a picture to somewhat show it, I put a red blanket on the other side of the guitar so you could see it well. Sorry about the bad quality on this one, the zoom on my phone isn't so great (I've been using it for the video in the first post and these pictures), but you should be able to tell what you need.

Now the main thing. I did go back and check ALL the screws I could on the body. I tightened up the pickup rings the little they were lose but it didn't make a difference. Same for the plate on the back. However, I checked the adjustment screws and the ones for the low E and A strings (strings that are having the ringing) are slightly loose. Not much at all, but I could still feel it moving and see a very very tiny difference visually when I focused in all I could.

I suspect it could be the adjustment screws that are loose, but I'm not sure if I will have to get a new bridge or if I can just get new screws?

EDIT: Also ignore the black stuff on the strings in some of the pictures, that's remains from an experiment I tried early on after this problem began. I will get new strings when I get the problem fixed, but till then there isn't much point.

And sorry about the pictures being in odd rotations, Imageshack is a bit of a pain but I'm in a hurry to get this posted so I just did what I could quickly. They were rotated correctly before being uploaded so I'm not sure why they are rotated oddly.
Last edited by Thermon at Jan 14, 2012,
About the only thing I can think it would be at this point is the screws & saddles of your bridge. I doubt you'd need a whole new bridge. A place like StewMac sells everything individually. But with all this info maybe someone else has some better input than mine.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
I'll look into getting some new saddles/screws before I replace the whole bridge. Thanks for all the help, I've talked to has been as helpful so thank you, I appreciate it. =)
Quote by Thermon
I'll look into getting some new saddles/screws before I replace the whole bridge. Thanks for all the help, I've talked to has been as helpful so thank you, I appreciate it. =)

You got it! I was hoping one of the Tune-O-Matic gurus would chime in at some point.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
I actually tried flipping it around whenever it first started doing that and it still did it. I ran a little test today where I played it like I normally (it did the "ringing" as usual), but then I put some pressure on the loose intonation screws and the ringing ceased. The E and A (the strings ringing) aren't touching the screws anyways, so I'm pretty sure that's not causing it. I think my test pretty well proved it was the loose screws though, because as soon as pressure was applied, the ringing stopped. Thank you though =)
not helping here but i like that lick u played at the end :P
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Oh thanks It was just improv (slightly off time, but I wasn't really particuraly trying to sound good for that video lol) but thank you, I appreciate it
Last edited by Thermon at Jan 16, 2012,
Quote by Thermon
I actually tried flipping it around whenever it first started doing that and it still did it. I ran a little test today where I played it like I normally (it did the "ringing" as usual), but then I put some pressure on the loose intonation screws and the ringing ceased. The E and A (the strings ringing) aren't touching the screws anyways, so I'm pretty sure that's not causing it. I think my test pretty well proved it was the loose screws though, because as soon as pressure was applied, the ringing stopped. Thank you though =)

Good job on locating the bug. I read another forum posting where a guy was having this trouble. The sequence of improvements went something like this.
  • Grind the screw grooves into a bar of soap and then try again.
  • Add teflon tape to the screws & try again.
  • Use some Loctite and then try again.
  • Replace components.
  • Replace bridge (which is what that guy intended to do all along, he just needed something to sort it out while waiting for the new bridge to arrive...)
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
I'll probably just replace the saddles if needed and screws; I am not in a hurried need of the guitar and I've got other guitars that I play more than my V anyways. I could replace the whole bridge since the bridge currently on it is just a generic Tune-o-matic copy, but when I replaced the bridge to my Mockingbird that also had a generic one I didn't notice much of a difference so I'm not convinced that I really need a whole new one. I wish it had more attack than it did, but I doubt a new bridge will fix that much, just guessing.
So, I had a little ringing on a TOM guitar (although nowhere NEARLY as bad as yours) and putting a hairband around the strings behind the nut helped a lot.

Might do something for you.