I'm thinking about getting a Duncan Performer Detonator pickup (just an off-brand Duncan Invader), and I'm not sure if I need to swap to a push-pull pot. What does it do, exactly?
Edit: I forgot this is for my LP Junior, so it only has a bridge pickup
Last edited by XMasterOfKtuluX at Jan 14, 2012,
It's just a switch that you can use for a few things; killswitch, coil tapping, etc. Most people use it to split humbuckers up to get a single coil sound. I have never used a killswitch so I can't comment, but from what I've heard it splits two volume pots that can be set at different values.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Coil splitting is pretty much useless and it sounds terrible. When I first got my Schecter that has it stock, it was pretty cool, but after about a month it was just irritating. You won't need a push/pull if you're just wiring the guitar normally, only if you plan on doing something 'special' with it.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
For sure the most common is a coil split. You might also see a push-push in its place, though.

For instance, my main 2 guitars both have push-pull pots for splitting the coils. But I'm not adept at using them quickly -- I wish they had push-push instead. Although at a glance I can tell what position it's in with a push-pull (like between songs, that sort of thing), whereas with a push-push you'd have to hear it to know...
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Usually switches to a coil split to kinda make your humbucker a single coil.
Definitely not nessessary.

Ah, that's different. Is there some benefit from switching to single coil? I'm guessing it has a softer or less intense sound or something?
Quote by Reisgar42
Coil splitting is pretty much useless and it sounds terrible.

In your opinion.

It can be extremely useful..

Quote by XMasterOfKtuluX
Ah, that's different. Is there some benefit from switching to single coil? I'm guessing it has a softer or less intense sound or something?

Usually thinner, 'twangier' sound. For a very basic comparison think about the difference between a Stratocaster and a Les Paul.

Last edited by Zeppelin Addict at Jan 14, 2012,
It adds more versatility to your sound. Sometimes you will find some tones sound better with a thinner signal. I think that it's useful if it's already built into the guitar but I wouldn't mod it in myself. My Nighthawk splits up and I actually like playing the clean sounds on the bridge pup split up. Performs very well in a mix. Give it a try and don't listen to sheep like Reisgar.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by XMasterOfKtuluX

Easier to just try it and hear the difference.

But yeah, once the coil is "split" then it'll only use half of the humbucker. And while there's plenty of debate about the efficaciousness of that, it'll essentially be a single coil at that point.

You'll notice more hum (because the 'bucking part is no longer in existence) and more of a strat-y sound.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by XMasterOfKtuluX

Single coils can be metal. Yngwie Malmsteen's the man!
Quote by uncle_sprinter
Single coils can be metal. Yngwie Malmsteen's the man!

But that's just shredding though, his music in general isn't very metal though, he only ever uses his neck pickup pretty much.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
As someone who's owned a set of Detonators for some time (came stock in my RR3). I wouldnt recommend them. Generally dark, muddy on the lower strings, not horrible cleans but far from good.

Look into GuitarFetish pickups. About the same price, much better.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by VanTheKraut
As someone who's owned a set of Detonators for some time (came stock in my RR3). I wouldnt recommend them. Generally dark, muddy on the lower strings, not horrible cleans but far from good.

Look into GuitarFetish pickups. About the same price, much better.

Possibly...do you have any recommendations, then? For a metal pickup, that is.
And thanks to everyone in this thread, btw, for helping me with this. I think I'll invest in a new pot, more for the experience of installing electronics than anything. Thanks guys
Last edited by XMasterOfKtuluX at Jan 15, 2012,
For metal pickups you would do pretty good with anything active; SD blackouts, EMGs. If you don't want to hassle with installing a battery then check out the Dimarzio D-Activators, CrunchLabs, Evolutions. I use Gibson Burstbucker 1/2 and I can pull of some pretty solid metal sounds.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger

Taylor 414CE
Quote by cdr_salamander
For metal pickups you would do pretty good with anything active; SD blackouts, EMGs. If you don't want to hassle with installing a battery then check out the Dimarzio D-Activators, CrunchLabs, Evolutions. I use Gibson Burstbucker 1/2 and I can pull of some pretty solid metal sounds.

Sorry about that, I was supposed to quote the guy talking about the Guitar Fetish pickups. I have EMGs in my Schecter, and I love those I'm just looking for something cheap to put in my Epi LP Junior. Thanks for your suggestions, though
Duncan Distortion not bad either...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by Zeppelin Addict
In your opinion.

It can be extremely useful..

Usually thinner, 'twangier' sound. For a very basic comparison think about the difference between a Stratocaster and a Les Paul.

Yeah, but a coil split humbucker sounds nothing like a strat single coil, it just sounds like a thin, anemic, sterile split humbucker. Series/parallel switching does a much better Fender strat impression than coil splitting imo.

Coil splitting is one of those things that sounds like it owuld be really useful, until you actually try it.

I used to use a push-pull pot as a phase switch. A few people use this mod, I know Jimmy Page has a phase push-pull installed the volume knob of his main les paul.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 15, 2012,
I think mine sound great split and they're quite different. One is the Dragon II pups and the other the 53/10s. Both sound awesome!
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Push-pull are just simple DPDT on-on switch built under the knob. They can do anything any DPDT on-on switch can do(Coil tap, killswitch, series/parralel, etc...) but without the obligation to reroute or drill another hole in your guitar.

For GFS pickups:
The Crunchy PAT is suposed to be a rippoff of a Duncan JB (from what i've read)
The Crunchy Rails and the Power Rails are two hottest pups GFS have...
Last edited by n1ckn1ce at Jan 15, 2012,
When two humbuckers are coil tapped, they need to be syncronized or polarized so the two work together canceling out that single coil hum when used together.
Also, push-pull pots are twice as deep as regular ones, so they may not fit in some solid body guitars.