Hi, this is my first post here. I've been playing guitar for a few months and I'm trying to learn this song, but I'm stuck on this one riff.

I didn't really know where to ask for help since none my friends are very good at guitar so I decided to ask here.

Anyways the song is "Up all Night" by blink-182. I'm having trouble playing the main heavy riff. I have the fingering down but the strumming is strange to me.
It looks like it's all down strokes but I'm not sure.

Here is a cover of the song (not by me)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9FPvTqiOFE

Here is the studio quality of the song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkoCkva-rBc

Any help or tips on how to play it would be appreciated.
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, I'm still learning my way around this site.
Actually the guy in the cover video played it wrong, you can tell from the song of the original track that there are both down and upstrokes in it (the brighter sounding chords are upstrokes) as for getting the timing right just hum the riff in your head and then try to make it sound right in your playing, maybe listen to the song and play along, and just so you know playing a song in alternate picking (using both down and upstrokes for efficiency) is never wrong, playing in all down-strokes quickly reaches its limits
Whether you use alternate or down picking, or anything else, is entirely up to you. It's your own preference.
Quote by Orryn
Whether you use alternate or down picking, or anything else, is entirely up to you. It's your own preference.

horse-shit, playing in all down picking is simply screaming "I'm a beginner with lousy technique" if you ever wish to reach a solid level of guitar playing you need to be able to do both and do both as efficiency dictates
Quote by Bad Kharmel
horse-shit, playing in all down picking is simply screaming "I'm a beginner with lousy technique" if you ever wish to reach a solid level of guitar playing you need to be able to do both and do both as efficiency dictates

I am talking about a specific song. Not general guitar-playing.
Quote by Orryn
I am talking about a specific song. Not general guitar-playing.

That's good and I agree with you about being able to use any technique for expressive purposes, but if the thread starts with "I've only been playing guitar for a few months" or something else where someone is trying to learn, its important to tell them the most proper way of playing something and not just give them excuses to not learn the technique. In this particular instance you can clearly hear the use of both up and down-strokes in the original recording so tell him how to play it and don't give him excuses not to learn the technique.
Quote by Bad Kharmel
That's good and I agree with you about being able to use any technique for expressive purposes, but if the thread starts with "I've only been playing guitar for a few months" or something else where someone is trying to learn, its important to tell them the most proper way of playing something and not just give them excuses to not learn the technique. In this particular instance you can clearly hear the use of both up and down-strokes in the original recording so tell him how to play it and don't give him excuses not to learn the technique.

If he'd wish to progress on guitar, he'd learn that technique anyway. You don't have to play the song 100% as on the record.
Quote by Orryn
If he'd wish to progress on guitar, he'd learn that technique anyway. You don't have to play the song 100% as on the record.

Man, I really hope he follows this whole thing because I think between the two of us (and our side-track) we answered his question in a very extensive way, from you he's learned about how music is more about how you like it than anything else, and from me that its best to learn solid technique, to the creator of this thread I wish you good luck!
Thank you both for the replies. I took your advice Bad Kharmel and tried putting upstrokes in the riff. I think it's starting to sound better and faster. I'm now able to keep up with the timing of the studio recording, so I think that I might have got it.

I think I'll follow both of your pieces of advice. On one hand I'd like to master both up and down strokes to be a better guitarist but on specific songs I'll play it in my own style (as long as it sounds similar to the original).