How do you adjust the action on a tune o magic bridge like this one ? Mine has no visible screws that I can use to lower the action.

As you can see I tried using Pliers to twist one of the wheels on the bridge but it was too tight and even though it did move just a little bit, I had to stop because metal from the wheel started scraping off.

Anyone know what I can do to lower the action?
Attachments:
1.jpg
2.jpg
Loosen the strings enough so you can move it by hand, and then tune up when you think it's okay.

Then repeat to perfect the action height.
I tried doing that already. I loosened the strings enough that there was no tension at all but the wheels are stuck in like glue. Ive heard the bridge is supposed to have a screw that you can twist but I can't find one anywhere on it. Any other ideas ?
Hmmm... I have 4 guitars with tune-o-matic bridges, and all but one of them have the screw slots, the other seems to be very similar to yours.
But even that one can twist fairly easily when the tension is taken off it.
How long has it been since you adjusted the action on the guitar? I'm wondering if maybe it's rusted internally so it won't turn....

EDIT:

Try taking the strings off, and pulling the bridge part off the screws, and it should turn then
Last edited by slashfan226 at Jan 14, 2012,
This is the first time that Ive tried to adjust the action on this guitar. Lately Ive been playing a lot more solos with this guitar and thought of reducing the action.
Your point about the wheel being internally rusted might be true. I bought the guitar with distressed hardware and there appears to be rust even on the tone knobs. Since I can't reach inside the bridge , what do you think I should do ?
The tune o matic "thing" which the strings run over sits on top of two screws that are set into the guitar. when the strings are removed, and the guitar tilted upside down, the tune o matic should either fall off, or come off with very little effort. Try that, and then attempt to adjust the actual thumb screws itself. It's a lot more effort, but it's well worth it to adjust the action a little lower.
Thanks man , Ill try removing the strings and see if the bridge falls out. It didn't come off when the strings were loose earlier but maybe if I try to pull it off it comes off. Ill let you know how that goes.
So I tried taking the strings off and pulling the bridge off the guitar but the bridge is stuck solid to the guitar. Its so strongly attached that it almost feels welded on to it. Any one have any ideas on what I can do to lower the action ? At this point I have no clue what can be done.
Attachments:
3 copy.jpg
Spray some wd-40 on the holes in the bridge that house the posts.
Be sure to wipe that crap off afterwards, its not good for metal in any long term application.

Also it appears there are screws that lock the bridge posts into place on that bridge, have you loosened those yet?

Edit: though so.
Last edited by StonedColdCrazy at Jan 14, 2012,
In that case I have nothing else to offer you... Perhaps google the name of your guitar and how to adjust the action on it? Failing that take it to a guitar luthier and ask him to take a look at it?

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, i've never come across something like that before
Can you get a good clear photo of the back side of the bridge? In the second photo where your finger is pointing it almost looks like there is a set screw there that would lock the bridge to the post. If that is the case it would keep the bridge from coming off and keep the posts from turning, until the set screw is loosened.
Quote by poppameth
Can you get a good clear photo of the back side of the bridge? In the second photo where your finger is pointing it almost looks like there is a set screw there that would lock the bridge to the post. If that is the case it would keep the bridge from coming off and keep the posts from turning, until the set screw is loosened.

I feel so dumb for not noticing that. I took out the screws with an allen wrench and was able to adjust the action using the screws with ease. Thanks everyone for the help.