I have a store near me that is selling a peavey 5150 used for (i think) a pretty good price of around SGD850. That's around $650 for you americans.

The thing is, i only play at home in my room and the Peavey is 60 watts! According to the sticky in this forum, its too loud for me. Should i or should i not get this amp? If not, is it just because its wattage is too high?

I was also recommended an egnater tweaker. Is this suitable for high gain tones?

I want to get a nice strong distorted tone that is at the same time not muddy. It would be cool to get something like a 'dimebag tone' but i think that would have to spend much more money for that. I play some metallica, a7x now and i'm looking to start playing some Pantera songs. Oh yeah and i like the tone of the guitar in 'Scream Aim Fire' of bullet for my valentine.

Do you think i should get the peavey, the egnater or do you guys have any other suggestions?
Gear

Ibanez Premium RG870Z
Zoom Fire 15
Ibanez OD850
Boss MT2
You could probably pull off the 5150 in your room, although you wouldn't get the best tone the amp could offer, unless you're allowed to crank it a bit. I would consider looking at other amps of a lower wattage, but I wouldn't cross the 5150 off the list entirely.
i do that all the time with my 120w 6505 head i got it for playing it in my bedroom *shrug*
and no tweaker cant do high gain even with a boost

5150 is your best betfor b4mv kinda stuff
if you are after dime's horrid tone get a marshall mg
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Which 5150 the 212 combo? - They are pretty loud but you can get a good tone when its turned down. Im so sick of hearing that you cant get a good tone but i'd take the sound of a 5150 turned down over a line 6 spider at its best any day of the week. Does it sound better loud? ANY amp does in my opinion.

You arent going to be able to get it whisper quite tho and thats where some of the solid state amps are a little nicer. For instance my 75watt Vypyr will get really quiet so i use that at 2am when my kid is sleeping in the next room over. Can i use the 6505+ at 2am? Yep, but i cant get it AS quiet as the Vypyr gets. The benifits of the 5150 is that its an amp that will last you a LONG time. Your playing in the bedroom now but eventually if you start to jam with friends the 5150 will hold its own and sound great.

Just my opinion tho. My idea of quiet and yours may be different.. Whats "allowable" is debateable. I can play mine quiet enough with the kid still sleeping but she sleeps like a rock! lol
Dimebag's Pantera tone is a raspy, horrible SS Randall Warhead tone. One of those would actually sound ok turned down. Well, ok if that is the sort of tone you are after. Personally I'd rather listen to a dentist's drill but whatever floats your boat.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah, it'll work well. Obviously you won't be getting the most out of the amp, but as long as it's not whisper-quiet you'll get enough to warrant your cash.

The alternative would be a modelling unit like a POD, or software. They'll get you superb tone at low volumes, but aren't as good for live use.
I'd say to go for it. It would sound nicer if you could play loud, but the 5150 isn't designed around power-amp breakage, but preamp gain instead. The price is a good deal, and these amps are great amps - you should see it as an investment. I've had and played many ~100 watt high-gain tube amps, and all of them have sounded fine at lower volumes - cranking up just takes them to another level.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Well tbh, i was looking for a more for something like the bullet for my valentine tone in scream aim fire. What i really want is something with a really nice distortion tone that i won't dislike when i develop a taste for 'good tone'. being versatile would be a plus.
Gear

Ibanez Premium RG870Z
Zoom Fire 15
Ibanez OD850
Boss MT2
Depends on how delicate your home volume situation is. I owned the 5150 212 for a while. The thing is loud as balls, for no reason. It's just loud. I had it on .3-.5 almost all of the time, which is a shame because it really didn't open up until 1 or so. I suspect that had something to do with the long-past-prime tubes that were in it though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
the 5150 has more mids turned down to 0 then most of Dime's work.

master volume
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Offworld92
Depends on how delicate your home volume situation is. I owned the 5150 212 for a while. The thing is loud as balls, for no reason. It's just loud. I had it on .3-.5 almost all of the time, which is a shame because it really didn't open up until 1 or so. I suspect that had something to do with the long-past-prime tubes that were in it though.

Pretty much bang on. My 212 combo sounds muffled and lifeless when it's down at TV volume levels. It's not until close to 1 (on the dial, not 1 o'clock!) that it starts sounding right. At that point, I hope you have good sound isolation or really cool neighbors.

Don't get me wrong, the amp sounds amazing, but for me it just doesn't sound at its best at the volumes I'm going to be playing at. Right now, I'm waiting to see if Peavey will be unveiling a new modeling line at NAMM this coming week. If they don't, I'll be buying a Vypyr 60w tube 1x12 combo and a sanpera 2 pedal. Then selling off my pedals, 6505 212 and possibly my mesa 4x12. As you can see, I was very impressed with the 30w solid state vypyr I tried out over xmas :P
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
^ that's pretty much exactly what I did. I sold my ValveKing and my 5150 and all my pedals and got a Vypyr Tube and a Sanpera. One of the best gear decisions I've ever made I have never played an amp that sounds better at whisper volumes than the Vypyr.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by DarthV
Pretty much bang on. My 212 combo sounds muffled and lifeless when it's down at TV volume levels. It's not until close to 1 (on the dial, not 1 o'clock!) that it starts sounding right. At that point, I hope you have good sound isolation or really cool neighbors.

Don't get me wrong, the amp sounds amazing, but for me it just doesn't sound at its best at the volumes I'm going to be playing at. Right now, I'm waiting to see if Peavey will be unveiling a new modeling line at NAMM this coming week. If they don't, I'll be buying a Vypyr 60w tube 1x12 combo and a sanpera 2 pedal. Then selling off my pedals, 6505 212 and possibly my mesa 4x12. As you can see, I was very impressed with the 30w solid state vypyr I tried out over xmas :P

I guess i'll just head down to the store some time again and try to play it with the volume above 1!

Can you guys recommend me something other than the peavey that can do high gain tones? What about the Jet City 22h?
Gear

Ibanez Premium RG870Z
Zoom Fire 15
Ibanez OD850
Boss MT2
you won't be able to crank it, but honestly you won't be able to crank any amp, even if it's 5 watts. on top of that, you never know when you'll have an opportunity to join a band or something, so i'd say go for the peavey. on top of that, i'm willing to bet that bullet for my valentine used one for that song, so if you're looking for that tone, definitely get it.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Think you'd want to go with the 50w Jet City for high gain. I think the 20w heads/combos & JCA5212RC use a different circuit compared to the 50/100w heads and the JCA5012.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs