Page 1 of 2
Hoi all I'm rather new here. Well not totally new since I've been using this sites tabs since I've started playing guitar.

My question is, how many of you own two guitars? I mean that in the context of using the 2nd guitar for an alternate tuning.

I ask this because I play a lot of metal stuff, so my range of music is from Metallica to Insomnium. And I was thinking of getting a second guitar which I can designate to D standard tuning with the whole 11 gauge strings and all. (My old guitar is already in E standard with 10 gauges)

What's your opinion on this?
Almost all guitarists have two, usually more. One reason is that you get different types of guitar, for example, a Les Paul and a Strat produce vastly different tones, so people often own both. You can buy one for alternate tunings, which is hugely useful if you play in a band who use different tunings live.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
I own 5 guitars. Two are cheap pieces of crap.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
I own 3 Les Pauls, a strat, and 2 acoustics. Normally different tunings, but they are all different. It's nice having a large variety of tones at your disposal, and being able to swap tunings fast.
I have 8 guitars in total and use 3/4 of them nearly every day. I have my Schecter PT set up for Drop C and C#, The Demon 7 set up for Drop D with the normal 6 strings with a low A string, The V-7 Hellraiser is B standard and finally my Vintage VRS100 is in open B for when im in a Devin Townsend mood.

Its just easier to have more guitars for different tunings so if you can pay for a new guitar then get it
My Gear:
-Guitars:
Schecter 30th Anniversary PT
Schecter V-7 Hellraiser
Schecter Demon 7 FR
Vintage VRS100
Amps:
Randall RG75 G3 Plus
Yeh my issue is that I want to play songs in D standard and drop C, and with regular 10 gauges they sound rubbish. And also I'm not going to change my strings everytime I want to play a song in C or something :P

I actually had my guitar's neck slightly bend when I tuned my guitar to E standard with 11 gauges. Since I came across some money for Xmas I was considering getting a new guitar just for D and lower. Only issue now is, making space in my tiny room >.>

Thanks for the information mates!
most guitarists will definitely own more than one guitar, though its probably more often due to a desire to have different sounds, not different tunings. that being said, having 2 guitars set-up in different tunings to prevent constant switching is nice to have (my epiphone has been in d-standard for a year now).

if you can afford it, its definitely a good idea.
It's mostly different sounds, as mentioned, that drives most of us to have more than one guitar.

That being said, My Tele has a Hipshot Trilogy bridge, which allows multiple tunings at the flick of the levers. It was an absolute bear to set up properly, but the final result is worth it - especially for slide, which can use completely different open tunings from one piece to the next.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
I presently own three electric solid bodies, all three are tuned to D standard because I like it that way.
Quote by Vulcan
It's mostly different sounds, as mentioned, that drives most of us to have more than one guitar.

That being said, My Tele has a Hipshot Trilogy bridge, which allows multiple tunings at the flick of the levers. It was an absolute bear to set up properly, but the final result is worth it - especially for slide, which can use completely different open tunings from one piece to the next.

Interesting! I've never heard of this thing. I'm gonna take a look into that.

But I think a new guitar is a bit more interesting! Like most guitarists, I'm obsessed with guitars :P
Yeah, as said, most guitarists own several guitars.

My own motivation is simply liking and wanting to own many different guitar models. I'm also the sort of guy who collects - I don't like the idea of selling a guitar even if I buy newer ones that are much better.

Generally I imagine that whenever I buy a newer, better guitar, I'll use that for a tuning I use a lot, and put the older, not-quite-so-good axes into various alternate tunings.

Though I don't have much of a collection as yet.
I own 8 guitars:
PRS CE22 E standard
Sanox LP clone Drop C
Squire Tele ProTone E flat
Epi G-400 vintage D standard
Dean EVO Drop D
K.L.T. Tele Style(first guitar build) E standard
Rouge Acoustic E standard/Drop D
Squire MB-5 B

They are all very diffrent guitars and I use them acordingly
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
@ Confuse_a_Cat
Yeh I'm sorta the same type of person. But I feel guilty about it since I live on a student's budget atm, and I don't wanna burn all my money on guitars. But I do have some money saved up from Xmas, so we'll see how things go with that :P

For me personally, I really only play metal. So a strat is really wasted money; alder bodies and single coils>.>.
Even worse I mostly play rhythm. So humbuckers, and a basswood/mahogany bodies is plenty for me, in fact, it's ideal. But having one in E and another in D I think would come in handy.
Currently, my collection stands at 10 guitars.

I use 2 tunings- Standard and Fripp's NST (CGDAEG)- and have at least one acoustic, one solidbody, and one hollowbody tuned to each of the tunings I use. I also have one classical which is tuned to standard. Just last year bought my first guitar with a tremolo, tuned to standard. And my one semi hollow is also in standard.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I have my PRS CE 24 in C standard, and i have my carvin at college for E. so you could say i have 1 guitar all the time. More will come though, i just have to wait
Sadly all i have right now is two electrics with some issues and an acoustic, plus a throw away bass. It's sad when i think back when i had a few really great guitars i pretty much traded for crap. It definitely comes in handy having different guitars around for different tunings and tones though.
Yup most guitarist, even if they aren't very serious musicians own 2 guitars. I myself don't use alternate tunings but if I ever wanted to, having that second guitar is perfect for it.
I own two electrics, one with a mahogany body tuned to E with a H-H pickup configuration, and the other with an(I think, it could be agathis but it sounds nicer and more sustainy unplugged than my mahogany guitar so I don't think it's agathis) alder body tuned to Eb with an SSS pickup config(soon to be HSS), and I find use them both a fair bit, my Schecter doesn't handle cleans as nicely as I think my Strat handles them, and for Rush-y type stuff I like my Strat better, but when I'm playing hard rock and metal, I generally prefer my Schecter(though I use my Strat for some stuff like Hammerfall and Yngwie songs).

Also, if your guitar has a locking trem, you're definitely gonna want a second guitar for alternate tunings if you intend on using them, retuning a Floyd and getting it to stay in tune is...a little annoying. xD
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
5 electrics.
3 for different tunings, 2 in standard with drastically different pickups.
80% ibanez. 3/4 with trems.
2 hardtails, both toms for tuning on the fly.
I need a fixed edge...
I have three electrics that I use normally.

Jaguar- Eb standard
Jagmaster- CGDGBE
Duo sonic*- E standard or EAEAAE

*22 inch scale length one from the 90s.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
I currently own three, have owned at least four (not counting the few I've had solely for resale) others over time, and plan on buying at least two to three more in time. Not to mention wanting at least one banjo eventually. I own three Ibanez RG's that all are tuned E-standard, and will most likely remain that way. I will eventually get at least one real nice acoustic (maybe a Martin or a Taylor) and maybe another 7-string for drop tuned rhythm. I may also get me a Seagull electro-acoustic because I love their sound over other 'electro-acoustics' I've played. Guitars are a bad habit, leave now and save yourself.
I know accomplished guitarists who have only two guitars, one acoustic and one electric. Seems really dumb to me. I play like spit but I have lots because I like fixing them.
Different strokes for different folks. Some are happy with just 1 or 2 guitars. Others like to expand their collection. Reasons vary. Some like the have a big variation in possible tones, some like to use lots of different tunings, others just seem to have money to burn.

Personally, I have 4. My starter electric, Epi LP Standard, Shecter Tempest Standard and a Crafter acoustic. I would like to add something with active pickups to that list at some point, probably an Ibanez ART320 or a Schecter Hellraiser. I just like guitars, and I don't spend my money on much else.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
I have 5 electrics, 3 of them I'll even touch, I only love 2 of them. Love my Tele and LTD, though the LTD kinda needs a refret. I keep them all in the same tuning though, as I write my own stuff which is what I play most of the time instead of playing only other's stuff. Find your favorite tuning and mess around with it for a while, you'll find something.
Last edited by Myaccount876 at Jan 16, 2012,
i have enough sets of two for at least 10 posters. lol.

in all seriousness, i use three different tunings. Standard, open G for slide, and one in C#std/drop B. they all stay like that and are set up for that and i will not likely alter any of the tunings for a long time.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I've got 5 guitars.

One acoustic (tuned to whatever I feel like)
One nylon string classical (Tuned to standard, most likely)
One 8 string Schecter (Currently EBEADGBE)
One 6 string Epiphone (currently in D standard)
One 6 string First Act (which has a broken truss rod and is currently in a friend's possession, kept purely for sentimental reasons)

The two 6 strings are just guitars I've acquired the first couple years of playing and I've since upgraded past, but I'm sure I'll go back to the Epiphone from time to time if I'm looking for some tuning I don't feel like switching to on the 8 string. The classical and acoustics are definitely for more sounds too.
Last edited by RPGoof at Jan 16, 2012,
I have seven electric guitars not including my basses and acoustics.

3 in Eb
1 in Bb
2 in NST
1 in Standard
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
i have 3 guitars going on 4 maybe.....

certain guitars vibe with certain tunings. woods, pickups, fretboards n all that.

its fine to have multiple guitars
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I'm a person who loves flexibility. As such, my current guitar is all I need for now, because that's what I got it for. But would I want more for different tunings? Definitely. I had another guitar, but I gave it away for Christmas. I would recommend it, depending on your money. Get a really quality one.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
I have 7 guitars. Most of them are fixed bridge. 4 are crap. If my guitars just had FR's, i would not nearly be as good at guitar. I would just mess with the trems and call it practicing.

I use the Gibson in Eb with 10's
The Epiphone is in C with 12's
The Washburn in Eb with 9's

The ones that aren't in pieces are in standard with 10's
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 16, 2012,
i have 3 electrics, 1 acoustic and a bass. options are good and it doesn't have to be for alternate tunings. if you play in a band then having a backup to your main guitar is a very wise idea. if a string breaks or other problem comes up then you can just switch to your backup and keep going. different pickups on similar guitars can yield very different sounds etc.
Quote by monwobobbo
i have 3 electrics, 1 acoustic and a bass. options are good and it doesn't have to be for alternate tunings. if you play in a band then having a backup to your main guitar is a very wise idea. if a string breaks or other problem comes up then you can just switch to your backup and keep going. different pickups on similar guitars can yield very different sounds etc.

Good points all around.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
also, there is a good reason that professional musicians (by that i mean signed, touring,etc) have multiple guitars, how many times in a show do you see a guitar get switched for another? it may only be only two guitars, or it may be three or four. that may be due for quite a bit of things, they will likely tune it when it gets brought back for another song later on, different tunings for songs, or just a different tone, or one plays differently than others.

i always bring three, however they are likely in the same tuning, just different songs require a change in guitars, could be i always seem to have one with a trem, most of the time i try to have the option for coil tap or a single coil. it just depends what i am doing.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I own eight guitars, and I play 6 of them on a near-daily basis, the other two need new strings and a pickup upgrade.
Ibanez S670-E Trem
Epiphone Les Paul Standard-E Hard-tail
Ibanez JS100-E Trem
Jackson RR3-Eb Hard-tail
Purely because I like collecting guitars just as much as playing guitar. I have several others, but I don't play them nearly as much as I should.
I own 10 and this mainly because i can
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions
I have 9 guitars right now, 7 electrics and 2 acoustics. I also have 3 amps.

I would not justify any of these by saying that I keep them in different tunings. Guitars and music overall is just my passion in life, and that makes it worth it. Except for my Tele (that isn't in my sig), they're pretty much used for the same things, even though they are quite different.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Before I lost my job I had a strat in standard, a strat in drop D, and a ibanez in Drop C. Though I had to sell off everything now all I have is a gio and my fast track studio.
Page 1 of 2