Hey UG! I'd like to improve my singing voice to the best of my abilities. I don't know if my voice isn't completely developed or anything, but right now I'm 16 years old and haven't taken any lessons whatsoever (including watching YT lessons... for now).

Even though my main genre is rock, I decided to record a vocal cover of Creeping Death by Metallica. The main vocals were done first try, one take, so they are a bit off in the first verse. And I botched the lyrics a bit. But whatever. My voice was completely shot after I was done.

Have a listen.
It sounds cool. But your voice should NOT be shot after singing the song once. Does your throat hurt after you sing? When you sing where do you sing from? You should always try to sing from your diaphragm which is at the bottom of your rib cage, almost to your stomach. That's where you should be pushing the air out from. If your throat hurts after you sing, using more of your diaphragm should improve that some.
^ this, more diaphragm. when you sing your throat should be pretty relaxed and singing for at least 30 minutes shouldnt be an issue ever.
Quote by ePOWsa
It sounds cool. But your voice should NOT be shot after singing the song once. Does your throat hurt after you sing? When you sing where do you sing from? You should always try to sing from your diaphragm which is at the bottom of your rib cage, almost to your stomach. That's where you should be pushing the air out from. If your throat hurts after you sing, using more of your diaphragm should improve that some.

My throat didn't hurt, my voice was just... dead. I think I may be singing more from my upper chest than my diaphragm... maybe I just need to practice where I sing from, and I won't lose my voice after one song?
I practiced directing where my singing comes from a bit more. I still need to practice if I'm going to be singing full out for long periods of time, but I maintained my voice for about 40 minutes (which is terrible, but better than 6 ). And another Tallica cover if interested.