Hey everyone!

This is my second post here in the forum (I posted this on the wrong section, sorry) and I'd like to ask for your opinion.

I've had 5 guitar lessons and learned the rest by myself since July 2011. Two days ago, I recorded and uploaded a video using "Have You Ever Loved a Woman" by Eric Clapton as a backing track.

I'd like to ask for your opinion and if you have time, give me some feedback on the positive and negative aspects of my playing, please!

I'm aware that it has a lot of mistakes, but what do you think?

Thanks and here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvm2F-0kUDI

Thank you very much
Hey I didn't watch the whole thing but here are a few things that might help

Try and learn some other shapes of scales! I think (unless the guitar ahs a different tuning) you were in C Minor Pentatonic the whole time at the 8th position. The guitar has a wide range and you should try and use more of it if you can.

Phrasing is also important or else things dont flow well. I see that you're trying to go for a bluesy style with a lot of syncopation.

Pretty good for only 5 lessons that's for sure. Listen to people play like Eric Johnson, SRV and Hendrix IMO.
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
Thanks a lot, guys.

@hyroglyph!c: I do know the other shapes, but I can't use them all together, I can't find the link between them. I guess that's something to work on. Thanks
Quote by PENGNASTY
For only playing going on 6 months now, your bends actually sound pretty good. As stated before, start connecting scales to keep it from being stale, but honestly where your at right now is really good man. Definitely keep it up! The part around 3:45 was impressive for how long you've been playing.

If you want, c4c - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1511657

Thanks, dude! I learned that in one of the 5 classes. Just going down the scale. Play three notes, then go back one and play another three and keep doing that. It sounds great!
It's good but yeh definitely try and mix it up a bit with other scales or even move around on the neck more. When you learn a scale, try and cover the whole neck. Ok you were talking about how you can't find links to different scales from the pentatonic. The way I first learned was using pentatonics too, the way I thought about it was pentatonics are your safety notes (notes that you can land on and still sound 'in'), all those in-between notes I think of as flavour notes (notes you don't usually stop on, you pass through them).

An example, here's probably the very first scale shape I ever learned (A Minor Pentatonic):

5--8
5--8
5-7-
5-7-
5-7-
5--8

See all the notes I've skipped (6 and 7 on the low E string etc..), I could actually add those in depending on the flavour I want. For example if I wanted a Dorian (look up modes if you haven't heard of it) sound I could play:

5-78
5-78
5-7-
5-7-
5-7-
5-78

Same pentatonic scale but I'm just adding in one of the intervals to give it the dorian flavour (it's still minor but has a happier rock blues sound), usually I wouldn't start and finish on those middle notes, I'd pass through them or bend them and rely on the original pentatonic for my 'safety notes'. if I wanted a more sad sound I could maybe use the Aeolian (natural minor) scale:

5-78
56-8
5-7-
5-7-
5-7-
5-78

In the shape I've shown you only see one note difference but if I went in more positions on the neck you'd see other changes. If I wanted a disturbing or egyptian-y kind of sound I could use phyrigian:

56-8
56-8
5-7-
5-7-
5-7-
56-8

Again passing through those middle notes and resolving the run on my 'safety notes'. Another cool additive you can use with ANY scale you're doing is chromatic scales:

Just remember where your 'safety notes' are and land on them when starting or finishing a run. Try it with your pentatonic, play the pentatonic for awhile then do a quick chromatic run then go back to pentatonic.

Hopefully this helps you break out of the rigid pentatonic structure a bit. Feel free to PM me if you need more explaination or like further advice.

Keep rockin
Last edited by guyver_dio at Jan 14, 2012,
Quote by guyver_dio
It's good but yeh definitely try and mix it up a bit with other scales or even move around on the neck more. When you learn a scale, try and cover the whole neck. Ok you were talking about how you can't find links to different scales from the pentatonic. The way I first learned was using pentatonics too, the way I thought about it was pentatonics are your safety notes (notes that you can land on and still sound 'in'), all those in-between notes I think of as flavour notes (notes you don't usually stop on, you pass through them).

An example, here's probably the very first scale shape I ever learned (A Minor Pentatonic):

5--8
5--8
5-7-
5-7-
5-7-
5--8

See all the notes I've skipped (6 and 7 on the low E string etc..), I could actually add those in depending on the flavour I want. For example if I wanted a Dorian (look up modes if you haven't heard of it) sound I could play:

5-78
5-78
5-7-
5-7-
5-7-
5-78

Same pentatonic scale but I'm just adding in one of the intervals to give it the dorian flavour (it's still minor but has a happier rock blues sound), usually I wouldn't start and finish on those middle notes, I'd pass through them or bend them and rely on the original pentatonic for my 'safety notes'. if I wanted a more sad sound I could maybe use the Aeolian (natural minor) scale:

5-78
56-8
5-7-
5-7-
5-7-
5-78

In the shape I've shown you only see one note difference but if I went in more positions on the neck you'd see other changes. If I wanted a disturbing or egyptian-y kind of sound I could use phyrigian:

56-8
56-8
5-7-
5-7-
5-7-
56-8

Again passing through those middle notes and resolving the run on my 'safety notes'. Another cool additive you can use with ANY scale you're doing is chromatic scales:

Just remember where your 'safety notes' are and land on them when starting or finishing a run. Try it with your pentatonic, play the pentatonic for awhile then do a quick chromatic run then go back to pentatonic.

Hopefully this helps you break out of the rigid pentatonic structure a bit. Feel free to PM me if you need more explaination or like further advice.

Keep rockin

I loved this, thank you so much! I'm going to PM you in a second, I've got a question!
it was good dude, try alternating to different sections of the neck i believe someone else already mentioned this but move around the neck you can stay in that scale but theres multiple places to play it on your guitar. just a thought but nice job
Thanks, asb9pwns! I need to start linking the guitar and memorizing all the notes I can play on the neck!
Basicamente já te disseram tudo, tens de variar mais nas escalas, sei que é aborrecido andar a aprender escalas, mas vai tentando aprender porque vão te dar imenso jeito. Eu também tenho de voltar a estudar escalas, já me esqueci de grande parte

Gostei do Tom, continua a praticar =)
Gear :Squier + Vypyr 15W / UCG102 + Picks = Awesomeness !