I'm in a bit of a predicament here. I recently purchased an Eminence Governor (12", 16ohm) as an upgrade from my Sheffield speaker. Well, after at least 6 hours of playing it, I can't say I'm satisfied with the tone. It's not a bad tone, it's just too middy/high-end sounding; and when I turn it up to where the amp normally should start sounding better, it's just got an overwhelming top-end/too middy sound that just hurts my ears. No ammount of EQing has solved the problem; as adding too much bass just makes it sound "boomy." It doesn't have that nice low-end chug that the Sheffield has.

At this point, I vastly prefer the sound of the Sheffield (wasn't unhappy with it to begin with, just wanted a more "refined" brutal sound.) So at least with only one speaker, the amp just doesn't have enough bottom end with the Governor. However, I've been toying with the idea of getting or building a 2X12 cabinet so I could run BOTH of them, as that might be a nice balance. My question is, CAN I run both of them, considering they're both 16 Ohm speakers? My amp has a selector switch that can be set to 4, 8, or 16ohms. It is set to 16ohms with just the one speaker. Here is what it says on the Peavey manual:

CABINET IMPEDANCE SELECTOR SWITCH
This three-position switch allows appropriate selection of speaker cabinet impedance. If two loudspeaker
enclosures of equal impedance are used, the switch should be set to half the individual value. For example,
two 16-ohm enclosures necessitate an 8-ohm setting, while two 8-ohm enclosures would require a 4-ohm
setting. Minimum speaker impedance is 4 ohms. The stock setting for the internal speaker is 16 ohms.

So, would I just put them in the cabinet and set the selector to 8 ohms? I just don't completely understand what it all means.

If that is not an option, I would probably just try to sell the Governor back and get something more suitable to my tastes, or just go back to the Sheffield for now. Thanks!
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Jan 14, 2012,
Just wire them up in parallel and select 8 ohms.

Btw, you haven't broken in your new speaker yet. Most speakers sound a bit brittle and lacking in bottom end when they are new.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
give it a day or two (better yet a week or two) of playing in case it breaks in more

if you still don't like it, then you can consider something else.

if both speakers are the same impedance you should easily be able to combine them in a 2x12. Two 16 ohm speakers run in series = 32 ohms (so don't do it that way, then ) while two 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel = 8 ohms (the better way to do it).

EDIT: some good ninja work there cath
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks guys! Maybe since it's a higher-quality speaker it just takes longer to break in?

Honestly, I wasn't thrilled about losing $$$ in selling it back, and I still think it's a nice speaker, it just might need a little "help" in the low-end department from a different speaker.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
no idea if the quality affects it or not. I'm guessing the tone of the thing might affect how it sounds out of the box, though. while most speakers need time to break in some will likely sound better out of the box than others.

if you do decide on another eminence i can't recommend emailing them strongly enough. they often gave completely different recommendations than the ones I was originally thinking of, and often the ones i was thinking of were completely on the wrong track.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?