Today I start my new job, after looking forever in this horrible job market.

I'm a dishwasher at a local restaurant. Though I have never worked in a kitchen before in my life, I usually work construction but I wanted to get out of it for a while so I pounced on this job when it came up.

My main worry is, are they going to expect me to go right in and be competent working the washing machines and the entire process? I know the basic idea, scrape plates rinse them and put them in the machine etc.

Does anyone here work as a dishwasher? and tips?
sigh...
I did for two years. Prepare for one of the worst jobs you're ever gonna have. Chefs are always absolute dicks.
They'll likely give you instructions before you start. If not it's probably not too diffiicult...
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
They'll probably have someone train you for a bit on the first day, it's not rocket science so it won't take long to understand.
Tips depend on the restaurant. Some only give tips to servers/hosts, some give tips to everyone.
They'll give you a basic rundown of what you have to do and what's expected of you, after that you're on your own. Pretty much like every other job.
It's dishwashing. If you're not competent in something so mundane, you must be living under a rock.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
well if he worked in construction he should be used to the "dicks", as foremen etc can be major ass holes in the construction field...i worked as a weather proofing helper in the construction field and any one wearing a fancy hardhat with a nice shirt would treat you like shit lol. I suppose you will learn the ropes fast for how the machines are run.
they won't expect you to be familiar with the exact way their restaurant runs, or the machinery you'll be using. They'll almost definitely show you everything you need to know on your first day/
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
I did for two years. Prepare for one of the worst jobs you're ever gonna have. Chefs are always absolute dicks.

Yea but atleast I have a schedule. In construction I work as a sub contracter, so I dont have a steady paycheck.

also thanks for the advice, I know its not rocket science but there are obviously things you have to learn.

edit: I know how to wash dishes, but I have also worked the front end of enough places to know that every restrained has a different set up.
sigh...
Last edited by enceps at Jan 14, 2012,
When I first read the thread title I thought TS was a new user who was gonna respond to every thread as if he was a dishwasher. (the appliance) Like D. Vader or the guy who rights like he's a medieval warrior.

I was dissapointed
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I do this right now, prepare to soak off those calluses built up from playing guitar, also receiving random cuts that affect how much you can play guitar. Its not bad otherwise, the only thing that I really don't like about my dishwashing job is that I sometimes get asked to do food prep stuff which i always need instruction on as I am clueless when it comes to cooking.
MY GEAR:
2001 Fender Tom Delonge Stratocaster

2004 PRS SE EG with SD JB in bridge and staggered single coils in middle and neck position

2011 Epiphone Tom Delonge ES-333

2010 Fender Frontman 212R

2011 Vox Tonelab ST
I better see my face in that bowl!

Goodluck though.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by PRSeg5150
I do this right now, prepare to soak off those calluses built up from playing guitar, also receiving random cuts that affect how much you can play guitar. Its not bad otherwise, the only thing that I really don't like about my dishwashing job is that I sometimes get asked to do food prep stuff which i always need instruction on as I am clueless when it comes to cooking.

Yea this job gives me the opportunity to become a prep cook after 3 months, and I already know that I have to help prep if they need me, and apparently I help with desserts.
sigh...
I did it for a bit, the chef I knew was awesome but it is effort so be prepared
Guitars:

Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster

Epiphone Les Paul 100

Amplifier:

Marshall AVT 100

Effects:

Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

EHX Big Muff Pi
Quote by WCPhils
When I first read the thread title I thought TS was a new user who was gonna respond to every thread as if he was a dishwasher. (the appliance) Like D. Vader or the guy who rights like he's a medieval warrior.

I was dissapointed

I wasn't expecting this when I clicked the thread but now I read this and want it to come true.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by BurningTurkey
compared to construction this should be a cake walk. Honestly.

That's what I was thinking, I'm done with working 10-12 hour days outside when its -20 ,working my ass off and dealing with dumb homeowners who think there new deck should be done the same day they decide they want it built.
sigh...
You should have gotten a job as a refrigerator instead.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I worked as a pot washer for a little while. Bloody boring, and you have to deal with arsehole waiting staff and chefs.

Where I worked, the chefs weren't too bad. They at least did what they were supposed to do instead of just dumping everything on the first available space like the waiters.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Yup, just barely managed to get yourself a job which happens to be a low-level shitty one? Sounds like Ontario.

WEEELCOME TO ONTARIIIIOOOOOOOO

EDIT: You can thank McGuinty for that. Oh! before I forget! Beer prices are supposed to go up like 50 cents on the cheap brands! Great! Thank him for that too.
Last edited by metalblaster at Jan 14, 2012,
I'm probably one of the few people on the face of this planet who actually enjoyed the time I worked as a dishwasher.

Don't worry, they'll show you how to work the machines and everything, just make sure that you work fast, thoroughly and see to it that the plates are spotless and polished when you set them back (that means no fingerprints on the plate and absolutely no food or schmutz). Pots and pans you'll have to do by hand, but they'll have a big machine for the serving dishes.

Oh, and be prepared to wash in water that's a lot hotter than you're used to.
Working as a sub-contractor sucks! I hate it. If you are used to dealing with asshole construction managers, then you should be able to handle the chefs and waiters.
Quote by enceps
Yea but atleast I have a schedule. In construction I work as a sub contracter, so I dont have a steady paycheck.

also thanks for the advice, I know its not rocket science but there are obviously things you have to learn.

edit: I know how to wash dishes, but I have also worked the front end of enough places to know that every restrained has a different set up.

Wat.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Quote by Nelsean
I better see my face in that bowl!

Goodluck though.

Easy.....(fills bowl with water).....Now look!
Quote by UntilISleep
Dishwashers can't type, you're a liar!

He's probably a transformer. They've infiltrated our kitchens now!

There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
He's probably a transformer. They've infiltrated our kitchens now!

Oh shi-

I'm surrounded by kitchen appliances. An oven, a refrigerator, a dishwasher...

what the fuck do I do?...
Reminds me of that episode of courage the cowardly dog, when katz turns muriel into a dishwasher.
I feel for ya bro
I don't know why, but at first I thought "This guy turned into a washing machine?"
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Esperanza Spalding, Vulfpeck, Caravan Palace

It is I, the mighty shitkicker, as prophesied by JustRooster. Obey me.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy

Dude, yes. I was one for like 6 months at a retirement home, and it blew ass. The chef was always bitching about the water temperature in the sink and stupid things. Then I would have to clean up with no rags. You guys might not think that too bad, but that dishwasher area gets loaded with all kinds of food/drink and is completely filthy. Then they would bitch again for it being dirty.

I can only imagine what its like at a restraunt.

Good luck OP.
rinse
wash
sanitize
dry

simple
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL