Page 1 of 3
On my V, I've come across a problem with the tone control. Whenever i use it, it crackles and the tone of the guitar never actually changes. I have rotated the pot hundreds of times to get rid of the crackling and the problem still persists over doing it for several days. The pot does absolutely nothing to the tone of the guitar. When i roll it off, the high end frequencies of the guitar don't change. Whenever i rotate the pot, it just crackles and pops. Sometimes when i have the tone pot at certain positions and leave it, the guitar buzzes and hums loudly I have checked the wiring on the inside of the guitar and the connections are good. What can i do?

One possible thing that might have caused it was when i bought it and took the plastic covering off the pick guard. I removed the knobs to get to the plastic underneath them. Could this by any chance have damaged the pots?

Edit: I've noticed that the pot does occasionally cut the high end off momentarily, but then it just crackles and goes back to as if the tone was on full.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 14, 2012,
If I were you I'd just get a new pot. You can get really good ones for around £10 and it wouldn't be hard to install
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by Paddy McK
If I were you I'd just get a new pot. You can get really good ones for around £10 and it wouldn't be hard to install

I want to try to avoid doing that. If i have to do that, I want a pot that is officially Gibson stamped and that can be expensive.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Changing a pot is really no big deal. It's a small repair and a new CTS pot only cost a few bucks.

Gibson uses Bourn pots. You could probably find one online somewhere for cheap. Yeah, it probably won't be stamped, but really, who cares? It's not as if you are going to be looking at it.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 14, 2012,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I want to try to avoid doing that. If i have to do that, I want a pot that is officially Gibson stamped and that can be expensive.

To be quite honest, it sounds like the pot might just be knackered. Don't bother with a Gibson pot, you'll pay way over the odds for the logo. Dimarzio do some good ones
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
I want to get a Gibson one because in case i want to sell it, i want the parts to be all original.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by Lespauljames
In all honesty, a pot will make Zero difference in resale. and TBH, most aftermarket Pots you can get are an improvment, Unless you get a £2 Chinese Jobby.
If your that anal about it, sell it on with a crackle and lose more. ?

I'm not planning on selling it, its just that i want the guitar exactly how it was when i bought it new. Putting on aftermarket parts, no matter how subtle, will always devalue the guitar.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
The easiest solution is to spray contact cleaner on the underside of the pot and then rotate the control back and forth a few times, it usually does the trick.

Another option is to replace the pot but hang on to the original, then reinstall it if you choose to sell you guitar.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Quote by BlackbirdPie
The easiest solution is to spray contact cleaner on the underside of the pot and then rotate the control back and forth a few times, it usually does the trick.

Another option is to replace the pot but hang on to the original, then reinstall it if you choose to sell you guitar.

I thought that just cleaning it would fix it, but the guitar was perfect before i removed the plastic, so it wouldn't make much sense that it just stopped working because dust got into it. I will try it anyway.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I'm not planning on selling it, its just that i want the guitar exactly how it was when i bought it new. Putting on aftermarket parts, no matter how subtle, will always devalue the guitar.

Dont we all, but with time and use, certain parts wear and need to be replaced, especially pots and switches.

If you want to keep a guitar in original and pristine condition, then right after you buy one, hang it on a wall and never play it.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
A high quality aftermarket pot won't devalue the guitar anywhere near as much as one that doesn't work
My Soundcloud
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Dude, no it won't. It will make ZERO difference in value as far as this guitar goes.
Quote by Paddy McK
A high quality aftermarket pot won't devalue the guitar anywhere near as much as one that doesn't work

I guess that's true.

What would you guys suggest i get? Any particular make and model?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

This is hilarious.

If I go look at a Gibson and its pots don't have Gibson on them, I'm more likely to buy it - the stock ones are shit.

Also, it's an '11 Flying V - how valuable do you think it is?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I guess that's true.

What would you guys suggest i get? Any particular make and model?
CTS, Bourn, Dimarzio all make good pots. Gibson uses Bourn pots, if you want to replace with the OEM product. I've always used CTS pots.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
This is hilarious.

If I go look at a Gibson and its pots don't have Gibson on them, I'm more likely to buy it - the stock ones are shit.

As evidenced in this post, more valuable than you. In which i actually give a fuck for it..

Either add something constructive to the topic or leave.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Bah just buy gibson pots.
I put 4 into my epi lp at a cost of 15$ cad each.
Never had a problem, keeps it all looking uniform which is a pet peeve of mine.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
As evidenced in this post, more valuable than you.

Either add something constructive to the topic or go back to the pit.

I don't follow your logic.

You were speaking as if by doing a minor electronics change you would be devaluing some ridiculous vintage piece like a '59 burst. You aren't.

Anything with aftermarket electronics on a Gibson axe is generally an upgrade because of the cheap pots and limited pickup options their stock configurations offer. Besides, you're just paying for the name stamped on the pot when you buy a replacement.

V This guy agrees with me.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy

$15 per pot for a Gibson stamp?

You realize that you can get CTS 500k audio taper pots for like... $5 each? And they're better than the Gibson branded-pots? IIRC, the Gibson historics use CTS pots.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy

The standard pots work just fine and the guitar sounds great with them. I have no problem with them. Its just that buying one CTS pot and all the others being the standard ones would look really out of place. If i'm getting aftermarket ones, i may as well just replace all the pots.

Quote by bubb_tubbs

Anything with aftermarket electronics on a Gibson axe is generally an upgrade because of the cheap pots and limited pickup options their stock configurations offer. Besides, you're just paying for the name stamped on the pot when you buy a replacement.

Thank you. Why didn't you just say this in the first place?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by al112987
$15 per pot for a Gibson stamp?

You realize that you can get CTS 500k audio taper pots for like... $5 each? And they're better than the Gibson branded-pots? IIRC, the Gibson historics use CTS pots.

Meh. They worked great, had a long linear taper and the guy that bought it was happy it had all gibson parts on it. They also had them in a local shop so I didnt have to order anything and wait for shit.
You sir are incredibly moronic
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by lbj273
You sir are incredibly moronic

Care to explain?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The standard pots work just fine and the guitar sounds great with them. I have no problem with them. Its just that buying one CTS pot and all the others being the standard ones would look really out of place. If i'm getting aftermarket ones, i may as well just replace all the pots.

How many times do you think people will be looking inside the guitar? Electronics cavities don't take part in beauty-pageants. You're worrying about absolutely nothing.

What you need is any decent pot with the same values (I'm guessing 500kOhms linear). On the cheap side, there's Alpha pots. On the more expensive side, there's CTS. Having used both, I can't tell a difference in day to day use. Maybe the CTS ones last longer, I don't know.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Thank you. Why didn't you just say this in the first place?

Because I'm lazy and typing is harder work than not typing.

Quote by TheQuailman
How many times do you think people will be looking inside the guitar? Electronics cavities don't take part in beauty-pageants. You're worrying about absolutely nothing.

What you need is any decent pot with the same values (I'm guessing 500kOhms linear). On the cheap side, there's Alpha pots. On the more expensive side, there's CTS. Having used both, I can't tell a difference in day to day use. Maybe the CTS ones last longer, I don't know.

I'm just anal about it.

I'll get a few CTS ones and get to work.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Because I'm lazy and typing is harder work than not typing.

Welcome to the club.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Care to explain?

I think he's referring to you thinking that a) a pot can diminish the value of a guitar, and b) your willingness to pay a lot of cash for one that says Gibson on it.

Experience shows that a) is false, and that therefore b) need not follow. I'm trying to love and tolerate here, but when someone comes in with a rather outlandish opinion and the willingness to fight over it, it's getting hard. Please don't make it so.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I'm just anal about it.

I'll get a few CTS ones and get to work.

K. Guess you'll just have a couple spares then (the old ones, I mean). Can't hurt.

You'll sometimes see stores/ebay-shops offering entire sets at a reduced price. Maybe look into it.
Quote by TheQuailman
I think he's referring to you thinking that a) a pot can diminish the value of a guitar, and b) your willingness to pay a lot of cash for one that says Gibson on it.

Experience shows that a) is false, and that therefore b) need not follow. I'm trying to love and tolerate here, but when someone comes in with a rather outlandish opinion and the willingness to fight over it, it's getting hard. Please don't make it so.

Well, i'm not the guy who knows what is the best brand of potentiometer for an electric guitar. So i don't really know any better. I just had the idea that i was happy with what i knew worked.

Quote by TheQuailman
K. Guess you'll just have a couple spares then (the old ones, I mean). Can't hurt.

You'll sometimes see stores/ebay-shops offering entire sets at a reduced price. Maybe look into it.

Will do.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I must ask out of curiousity.
Beyond cheaper pricing, what is better about these pots? Be very specific.
Last edited by StonedColdCrazy at Jan 14, 2012,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
You should probably be replacing all the pots anyway. Gibson USA guitars come with these weird 300k linear pots for all their controls. The original configuration has always been 500k audio taper.
Quote by al112987
You should probably be replacing all the pots anyway. Gibson USA guitars come with these weird 300k linear pots for all their controls. The original configuration has always been 500k audio taper.

Wouldn't that affect the sound?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The lower the value is, the more signal is getting attenuated. If you switch to 500k, your sound will be brighter and clearer with more output and a more gradual volume taper compared to the linear pot where you don't hear any difference until you go from 10->2. This was the original Gibson value back in the '50s and '60s. I have no idea why Gibson ever switched to the 300k ones. A lot of Gibson enthusiasts, the first thing they do when they get a new Gibson guitar is to swap out all the electronics. Take out the pots and caps and replace them with a new wiring harness, new pots and new caps.
Quote by al112987
The lower the value is, the more signal is getting attenuated. If you switch to 500k, your sound will be brighter and clearer with more output and a more gradual volume taper compared to the linear pot where you don't hear any difference until you go from 10->2. This was the original Gibson value back in the '50s and '60s. I have no idea why Gibson ever switched to the 300k ones. A lot of Gibson enthusiasts, the first thing they do when they get a new Gibson guitar is to swap out all the electronics. Take out the pots and caps and replace them with a new wiring harness, new pots and new caps.

How much of a difference will it make? I'm asking this because i wouldn't want the guitar to sound any brighter than it already is.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
If it doesnt have Gibson on it, I wouldnt put it in there.

Different pots are different sizes and if you need to route your guitar your ****ed.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0

Different pots are different sizes and if you need to route your guitar your ****ed.

+1 had to widen the epi holes for gibby pots.

Someone answer my question or youre all just bandwagoning.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I want to get a Gibson one because in case i want to sell it, i want the parts to be all original.

barring some unforseen shortage of gibson-stamped aftermarket parts in the future, what's to hinder you getting a good pot now without paying gibson extortionate markup prices (TM) and then buying the Gibson-stamped pot later if you do decide to sell it?

plus i mean who the heck's not going to buy the guitar because it doesn't have a gibson pot in it?

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I'm not planning on selling it, its just that i want the guitar exactly how it was when i bought it new. Putting on IRREVERSIBLEaftermarket parts, no matter how subtle, will always devalue the guitar.

fixed

Quote by bubb_tubbs
This is hilarious.

also aren't the stock ones 300k in a lot of cases? i mean that's technically the "wrong" value, right? normally 500k for hums, right?

Quote by al112987

there you go

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

yeah.

that's why everyone in here is lulzing so much at your refusal to consider anything else, when, if anything, the gibson ones are objectively inferior considering they're the "wrong" value.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
As evidenced in this post, more valuable than you. In which i actually give a fuck for it..

Either add something constructive to the topic or leave.

nice sneaky edit there, but bubbs is assuredly not a pit monkey. he's a regular in these forums. if anything, you're the pit monkey coming onto his lawn.

fwiw everything he said was pretty useful. it might have been said in a snarky tone of voice, but it was good info.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
How much of a difference will it make? I'm asking this because i wouldn't want the guitar to sound any brighter than it already is.

to be fair, that would be worth bearing in mind.

Quote by Tom 1.0

yeah to be fair you want to make sure teh pots you buy are going to fit- routing the guitar will devalue it. But (and i could be wrong here) it should be reasonably easy to find pots which fit a gibson.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 14, 2012,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It will sound a tad more open. But if it's too bright, then you use your tone control. To me, it's much better to have brightness and be able to roll it off than not having it. You will notice that when you have more treble available, the tone control becomes much more usable as well.
Page 1 of 3