OK, so I have a Peavey Vypyr 75w modeling amp and I was wondering will active EMGs still give a good sound for metal? I've heard a couple of varying opinions but I heard that the Peavey Vypyrs can handle the high output from the actives and also that there is still a great difference between actives and passives through this amp.
the only thing that will become apparent when running those pickups through SS amps is going to be the raw output being higher then whatever u changed them from.

as far as tonal characteristics, u will notice small changes but you will have no idea what those pickups really sound like untill u run them through a real amp. (real being something with quality)
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
the only thing that will become apparent when running those pickups through SS amps is going to be the raw output being higher then whatever u changed them from.

as far as tonal characteristics, u will notice small changes but you will have no idea what those pickups really sound like untill u run them through a real amp. (real being something with quality)

Fair enough, I'm just looking to upgrade from my shitty strat copy to a good guitar for metal in my lowish price range. Just seen a few with active EMGs and wondered if they would sound good through my amp. Can't afford a 'real amp' unfortunately
Quote by guitarlikewa
Fair enough, I'm just looking to upgrade from my shitty strat copy to a good guitar for metal in my lowish price range. Just seen a few with active EMGs and wondered if they would sound good through my amp. Can't afford a 'real amp' unfortunately

sure you can, what was your budget?

your amp is pretty good for what is is btw. if your just practicing, i see no need for an upgrade of an amp. a lot of people are satisfied by the vypyrs.

what guitars were your thinking about? since u mentioned EMG's, im going to assume the lower to mid range LTD's and Schecters?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Actives will sound different as compared to a passive.; Whether its good or not depends on your ears. Try some guitars in the shop which have EMG's through your Vypyr. If you like the result, go for it.

And theres nothing wrong with liking a modeller. If it sounds good, it sounds good. Full stop.
Quote by EspTro
sure you can, what was your budget?

your amp is pretty good for what is is btw. if your just practicing, i see no need for an upgrade of an amp. a lot of people are satisfied by the vypyrs.

what guitars were your thinking about? since u mentioned EMG's, im going to assume the lower to mid range LTD's and Schecters?

Yeah, I'll upgrade my amp when I improve or start gigging.

Can hardly even afford the low range LTDs and Schecters. I can afford one of the Schecters with active EMGs (the damien elite, non FR version) but its a bolt on which kind of sucks. So I was looking at the Epiphone SG Prophecy EX, active EMGs, thin(ish) neck, not a bolt on, looks nice and costs less than any low range Schecter or ESP LTD with active EMGs.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
^Malmsteen uses bolt on. Satriani uses bolt on. Claptop uses bolt on.

Good guitar with bolt on>bad guitar with set neck/neck thru.

Couldn't agree more, just not for me personally. I just prefer easier access, its not essential though, just out of preference.
Quote by guitarlikewa
Couldn't agree more, just not for me personally. I just prefer easier access, its not essential though, just out of preference.

Then try a bolt-on guitar that has great upper fretboard access, like any of the AANJ equipped Ibanez guitars
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by guitarlikewa
Yeah, I'll upgrade my amp when I improve or start gigging.

Can hardly even afford the low range LTDs and Schecters. I can afford one of the Schecters with active EMGs (the damien elite, non FR version) but its a bolt on which kind of sucks. So I was looking at the Epiphone SG Prophecy EX, active EMGs, thin(ish) neck, not a bolt on, looks nice and costs less than any low range Schecter or ESP LTD with active EMGs.

if u live in the US btw, check out rondomusic.com. great budget stuff.

im currently deciding on saving for a carvin custom shop 7 string or a nice rondomusic one :P
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Contrary to what others are saying here, I'm going to tell you that real EMGs will sound better than the stock pickups of cheaper guitars (ie: house brand pickups, duncan designed, emg select/hz, etc.), and you'll most certainly be able to hear the difference between them and the cheap stock pickups in your guitar, through the Vypyr. However, since you're looking to upgrade to a different guitar, I wouldn't even take whether it has active EMGs or passives into the equation at all. It will certainly not sound worse through your amp if it has EMGs. A guitar that comes stock with better pickups like that, is going to sound better than your entry-level guitar, regardless of whether it has active or passive pickups.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com