hey GB&C iv been looking into building my own pedals and have
a couple question's .

1. are the results of building your own pedal as good as one's on the
market .

2. do you just build pedals for the fun of it ? because it seems that
the price to build one is about the same cost as buying one
pre made .

thx for the reply's .

if you build them well, you can make them sound as good if not better.

the price isn't really the same for parts.. if you have the tools its much much cheaper.
mojostompboxes.com
Awesome that youre interested in building your own pedals, i would first like to say that i dont do it to save money i just do it because its very rewarding to plug into your own pedal.
So IMO, you shouldnt do it to save money just for the rewarding experience.
However i must say that it isnt as expensive as buying them if you know where to look for parts.
The results can be even better than market once if you are good at soldering and you use quality parts.
So if i were you i would just start building and gaining experience to build better and better pedals.
what is a good pedal to start with ?

were do you recommend getting parts ?

were do i get noob info / schematics for building pedals ?

srry for all the ?'s need a place to start .
Something like a Distortion+ clone is a good starting point. I started with an LPB-1 clone. Only reason some people advise against that is the fact that it has transistors which I guess can be confusing(?). They're also very heat sensitive so you'll want to make sure you are good with a soldering iron.

You can get kits from places like:
generalguitargadgets.com
byoc.com

You can also find schematics/info there as well as beavisaudio.com

I get most of my parts from smallbearelec.com or mojotone.com. You can also check digikey.com
cool man , thx everybody one more thing .

any noob pitfall mistakes to watch out for, IOW any advice ?
Double check everything, schematics and layouts. Make sure all of your polarized components are situated the right way.
Don't do veroboard layouts backwards. Your looking at the top of the board, not the bottom. I did this the first time I tried one and didn't realise until I'd finished
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.
Planning=everything, don't start soldering without an idea what youre soldering, its best to first make sure the design works (breadboard) before building it
for parts, i don't know where you live but we in the Netherlands have a great online-store which has all and really all parts you can imagine and if they dont they will order them
The site is newtone-online.nl but as i said before, this is from the netherlands
cool man appreciate all the advice i guess the easiest would be to buy
a pedal kit but not sure if its the best way .