1. How much does it cost?

2. How do you select which coil you want to use?

Thanks
]
Coil splitting just involve installing a push/pull or mini-toggle switch in the guitar and wiring it to a 4 conductor humbucker. You flip or pull the switch to split it so only one coil is active, effectively making it a single coil. If you can use a drill and/or a soldering iron you can do it yourself for less than $10 in parts. Having a shop do it will depend on the shop rates but I'd guess around $50 minimum for labor and parts.
yeah i think depending on how it's wired that'll select one coil or the other. don't see why you couldn't hook that up to a push-pull or something like that to give you the option of either coil.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Do you know where I could get a push/pull volume pot like that? I live in the uk.
]
you could probably try wdmusic, allparts or axesrus

you might need a special push-pull to do that, though (or maybe just a special switch), not sure. wiring isn't exactly my strong point, lol.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by falcon1439
1. How much does it cost?

2. How do you select which coil you want to use?

Thanks

If you select Lollar pickups, you would use the non-screw side of the pickup, as Lollar recommends.

I have the chrome Lollar Imperial pickups installed... ( Low wound Neck AlNiCo2 ) & ( Regular wound Bridge AlNiCo5 ).

And my ( Guitar Luthier installed ) Custom Wiring:

With all 4 pots pushed down, normal Les Paul operation.
The 2 volume controls when pulled out, runs each Humbucker in single coil mode.
They use the non-screw side of the humbuckers, as Lollar recommends for single coil operation.

Note that when my standard 3 position toggle switch is in the middle position, my 2 single coil (inside) pickups are humbucking with each other.

When the 2 Tone pots get pulled out, each humbucker switches from being wired in Series, to Parallel.

Note: A Complete Setup was done to my guitar by my Guitar Luthier, after all parts were installed.

All ( 4 ) 500K pots pulled out:

All ( 4 ) pushed in:

Close-up of my newly installed Callaham bridge:
Last edited by BurstBucker Pro at Jan 15, 2012,
I've done so many coil tap and phase reverse variations on various guitars and to be honest the only worth while modification was a simple straight coil tap as oppose to a coil split. A coil tap simply earths one coil leaving you with a single coil (useful). It doesn't matter which one. They are so close they sound almost identical. The coil split then gives you access to either coil. You could do a coil tap yourself buy installing an SPST switch and connecting one side to earth and the other to the coil junction (2 wires wound together connecting coils). When switched on one coil is earthed leaving you with a single coil. You can buy the switch online at Radionics.
nah a coil tap has both coils still active

a coil split is when you only use one coil
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yep coil splits ground one coil out leaving one active. Coil taps are harder to do because you are actually tapping into the coil winding. Basically a lead is soldered onto the coil itself at whatever poiint you want and when that wire is activated it only uses the signal from part of the winding. So let's say you have 8000 wraps of wire and a tap wire at the 4000 winding point. You would only be using half of the coil when activated. I think this is normally used on single coils when you want a higher output pickup but you also want to be able to lower it's power for a more vintage sound. These types of taps are best done when ordering the pickup. I think Seymour Duncan use to offer this service for an upcharge.