Poll: Should governments recognize marriage?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should governments recognize marriage?
[center]Yes[/center]
36 45%
[center]No[/center]
44 55%
Voters: 80.
Page 1 of 2
No.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
What do you mean exactly?
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Looks like you
can.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
No, there's really no good reason for it to anymore. Feel free to get married if you want, the government doesn't need to know about it. Any relevant tax breaks are better given to people on the basis of family and/or long term cohabitation.

Marriage no longer means what it did administratively. Government no longer needs to recognise it.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
No, there's really no good reason for it to anymore. Feel free to get married if you want, the government doesn't need to know about it. Any relevant tax breaks are better given to people on the basis of family and/or long term cohabitation.

Marriage no longer means what it did administratively. Government no longer needs to recognise it.

Exactly.
The government shouldn't give a shit about your relationships.
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
I would be mad at a stupid thread like this.

However, you have a link to a K. Flay video in your sig. Nice
noooooooooooooooo

they shouldnt
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
They should when I get married.

Betta reckanize sucka
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by whoomit
I would be mad at a stupid thread like this.

However, you have a link to a K. Flay video in your sig. Nice

Wait, someone actually likes her?

I mean yeah bro she's totes the best.

She scuffed her dunks man, what a sad, sad day.
Yes, I think it promotes long lasting relationships as opposed to sexual promiscuity.
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Quote by son_of_bodom
Yes, I think it promotes long lasting relationships as opposed to sexual promiscuity.

And that requires the government to intervene because...?
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Well.......
Wait, someone actually likes her?

I mean yeah bro she's totes the best.

She scuffed her dunks man, what a sad, sad day.

Yeah. I only know of her because of MC Lars though.

Also I have no idea what that last sentence means

Edit: Just realised it was a K. Flay reference. I thought you meant she had died or something!
Last edited by whoomit at Jan 14, 2012,
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
As long as it recognizes my girth

Who do you think you are, Gary Oak?
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I just put yes because you made the question SO incredibly vague that I just didn't give two shits. I decided to take the quesetion as, "Should governments recognize marriage and respect it for what it is?", since I do think marriage should be something special. Whatever this thread is going to die soon.
Yes, marriage (between a man and a woman) is the basis of the family and the family is the basis of a healthy society.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Myaccount876
I just put yes because you made the question SO incredibly vague that I just didn't give two shits. I decided to take the quesetion as, "Should governments recognize marriage and respect it for what it is?", since I do think marriage should be something special. Whatever this thread is going to die soon.

Dude stfu, like I give a shit.

I can center goddamn polls. **** your shit, bro.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Yes, marriage (between a man and a woman) is the basis of the family and the family is the basis of a healthy society.

That's fine... but why the hell should .gov have anything to do with it?
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by Skynyrd890
That's fine... but why the hell should .gov have anything to do with it?

Isn't fostering a healthy, moral society the purpose of government?

I'll say "moral" and not Christian because I know that'll set off the liberal crybabies.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
And that requires the government to intervene because...?

Because tax benefits are an incentive for marriage.

Quote by darkstar2466

Quote by son_of_bodom
Because tax benefits are an incentive for marriage.

Tax benefits can be an incentive for any behaviour, for example rather than providing tax benefits for marriage one can provide tax benefits directly for the desirable aspects of marriage (e.g. long term stable relationships for raising children)
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Why, does the Government have selective memory loss?

*bdumtish*
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Quote by Ur all $h1t
Tax benefits can be an incentive for any behaviour, for example rather than providing tax benefits for marriage one can provide tax benefits directly for the desirable aspects of marriage (e.g. long term stable relationships for raising children)

And that is what the government would recognize by recognizing a marriage. Just because marriage has had religious connotations doesn't mean it always has to. There's no need to create a whole other word when that is the average person's definition of a marriage.
Quote by Dirge Humani
And that is what the government would recognize by recognizing a marriage. Just because marriage has had religious connotations doesn't mean it always has to. There's no need to create a whole other word when that is the average person's definition of a marriage.

No, it's not. Traditional family roles have changed. Marriage no longer means automatic family, a great number of people get married and never have children, that number is increasing all the time. About half of Marriages fail. It is no longer economically efficient to use marriage as a proxy for those desirable qualities, it is now a policy that gives tax breaks to people for whom those breaks are not designed. It would make far more sense to simply give the tax breaks directly for those behaviours which we wish to incentivise.

I'm not creating any new words. I'm not touching upon any religious issue. It's simply a pragmatic issue of economic incentives.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
What do you mean 'to recognise'? So are you asking whether governments should have a say in certifying marriages or whether governments should be keeping it in their administrative books?
Last edited by Cianyx at Jan 14, 2012,
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
As schlong as it recognizes my girth
Ftfy

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Why embellish the tax code regarding marriages by specifying what activities are worthy of the various tax benefits? I think there are numerous desirable aspects of marriage that should be promoted, specifying them simply seems unnecessary.

Ashley

Quote by darkstar2466

Page 1 of 2