So, I've been playing for 5 years, but my thumb still hurts when I play too many bar chords. A perfect example would be this song:

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/s/sonata_arctica/the_misery_guitar_pro.htm

It's basically all bar chords except a few power chords on the chorus/bridge. My thumb starts to hurt after 20-30 seconds of bar chords non-stop. I don't think I'm applying too much pressure, just enough to bar the strings with my index finger. Less pressure = strings will sound mute. No problems with power chords.

Any idea? Thanks.

This helped me.

Other than that you can go for a lower action guitar, thinner strings or a stronger hand.
Well.. I've been playing for 40 years... A song like Molly's Chambers (Kings of Leon) my whole hand cramps up before the lead break... (really is a break for me because I get to grab something else besides a stinking bar chord) the pain goes away when I stop playing the F#...

I'd only worry if the pain doesn't go away...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
What kind of guitar do you have? if you have any type of les paul I'm not surprised... those necks are huge. if it's a relatively thin neck... I'd maybe use one of those boxing finger strengtheners... they helped me when I had trouble.
Quote by Noninim

This helped me.

Other than that you can go for a lower action guitar, thinner strings or a stronger hand.
I always do that when possible. I use 10-52 strings in D tuning so they are not that thick, and my action is low.

Quote by tomc2
What kind of guitar do you have? if you have any type of les paul I'm not surprised... those necks are huge. if it's a relatively thin neck... I'd maybe use one of those boxing finger strengtheners... they helped me when I had trouble.
I have an Ibanez DN500, probably the only Ibanez with a LP-type neck. Will try those, thanks.
Quote by Noninim

This helped me.

_______

I advise against the thumb over the neck thingy, it is mostly useless and slow. (Yeah Hendrix did, he did he did, so what?)

Muscle or joint pain?

If you are going to be playing barre chords for extended periods of time, remember the pressure can be applied from above (barred fingers pushes against the fretboard) instead of getting all the strenght from the grip itself, this leaves the thumb pretty much relaxed.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Jan 16, 2012,
I don't know of any seasoned players that like to use barre chords through an entire song.
Start to learn other chord voicings besides open and barre. Mix them in with your barres, it will make your style alot more economical and save your hand from fatigue.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.