hey im lookin into getting a new amp, but im on a tight budget. I am planning on gigging with my band. Does the peavey vypyr 75w hav enough power to gig? or should i get the vypyr 100w?
What's your budget?
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
i an playing in a metal band rt now, and we would probably be playing local clubs, but we are planning on entering the talent show, which in the gym. Could it be gig worthy for that?
Neither, get the 60 or the 120.

Man, you guys still talking about venue size. Venue size is IRRELEVANT!!! All that matters is being as loud as the drums. If you need to be louder than that the kit will be miked and so will your amp.
FFS.
Really big venues allow you to turn up louder, they don't mean you have to. Don't you guys actually play real gigs? It just astounds me that people keep saying this crap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

Man, you guys still talking about venue size. Venue size is IRRELEVANT!!! All that matters is being as loud as the drums. If you need to be louder than that the kit will be miked and so will your amp.
FFS.
Really big venues allow you to turn up louder, they don't mean you have to. Don't you guys actually play real gigs? It just astounds me that people keep saying this crap.

I was reading this thread and waiting for this haha.
And the 75w'er will keep up with the drummer just fine. The 60 is louder and sounds better. If you can afford the 60 get that one. Much better amp.

Quote by &baconstrips
I was reading this thread and waiting for this haha.
he he. I just get sick of saying it. It's one of those specious comments - it seems to make sense on the surface but doesn't hold up to critical analyses.
What gets me though is that anybody that's gigged for a while knows the truth. Drums don't have volume knobs and that's what you are trying to balance against. Once you've gigged a bit you KNOW this. So it makes me wonder if the people talking about "being loud enough for X venue" are actually gigging musos. If they were you'd think they'd know better wouldn't you?

Anyway, I'm just a bit short on patience today - I've run out of smokes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 16, 2012,
lol thanks for helpin out. i still might get the vypyr 100w, but if i dont get enough, i'll definitly get the 75w!
Glad to help. Just for your reference; I've had a break for the last 5 years but before that I gigged solidly for over 20 years. At one stage that was my only job. It just pisses me off when people hand out bs advice about something they obviously know squat about.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by DanGuitarist
lol thanks for helpin out. i still might get the vypyr 100w, but if i dont get enough, i'll definitly get the 75w!

Are you reading your own thread?

Quote by Cathbard
And the 75w'er will keep up with the drummer just fine. The 60 is louder and sounds better. If you can afford the 60 get that one. Much better amp.

I'd stay away from modeling amps for gigging, but since you seem stuck on it, at least listen to what he has to say.
Quote by Cathbard

FFS.

+1 on the tube 60 or 120.

cath, i know we talked about this a few days ago.

different areas have different venues here. when i was in highschool, i was on the metal scene as such, which meant shit hole places. most/if not all have a PA, but quite a few didn't have a PA that would support two guitars and vocals well. it just didn't work. so you would have to make best in the situation and push the vocals hard so they can be heard, and make the guitars SOL without a big enough amp. back then there were still venues which were nice and had a good PA and we mic'd up, of course it sounded better. since then i don't think that i have ever gigged without a PA owned by the venue.

but when you are in highschool you just want to play wherever you can as much as possible.

now i do quite a few solo and due gigs because i don't like singing. everything from blues over various backing track type stuff, to interesting ambient almost like of a 'house' or rave type stuff. i know it sounds odd, but i do it with my looper and running a larger board and having a lot of oscillating delays and stuff. sometimes i will go play lead/mild rhythm in varius modes. it just depends. a lot of that my amp covers fine.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Doesn't matter where you are playing or what PA system they have or don't have. You have to balance out with the drums. What has venue size got to do with that? If you don't have a drummer then it may matter but if you don't have a drummer gtfo of here.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 16, 2012,
by bigger venues i mean places that have a decent PA. Sorry for the symantics but by smaller venues im reffering to the bar scene where your lucky to find a PA loud enough for vocals. By larger venues i am reffering to the places that have a decent PA and you need to mic the drums so folks can hear ya. Im really wanting to get a PA of our own for those "in between" places that are large enough to need a good PA but dont have one..
Quote by surjer
by bigger venues i mean places that have a decent PA. Sorry for the symantics but by smaller venues im reffering to the bar scene where your lucky to find a PA loud enough for vocals. By larger venues i am reffering to the places that have a decent PA and you need to mic the drums so folks can hear ya. Im really wanting to get a PA of our own for those "in between" places that are large enough to need a good PA but dont have one..

Nice try. In that case the bigger venues would be where you need the smallest amp. But still, it's all about balancing out with the drums. Even in large outdoor gigs (which I've played) you are still just trying to balance out against the drums so you don't have to rely on foldback to hear yourself. So big, small or in between, the only question that matters is, "will it keep up with the drummer?" That's it, that's all there is to it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Man, guess im still not being clear. (Also, didnt catch what you meant by nice try?) I completely agree with you. My point (which im guessing is not translating well) is when we mic the drums we're usually mic'ing everything else too. That usually happens at a larger nicer place. I've played serveral places with the Vypyr 75 and had no problems playing with our drummer whether we are mic'd or not. I will say if we're micing the drums im mic'ing my combo's to keep up.

My point to the OP was that he need not worry about it because it will play well in band practice keeping up with the band and when he plays out at places large enough to mic the drums he can mic his amp too.

All about balancing like you said. Keep in mind our other guitarist is playing is 4x12 Marshall JCM2000 and we can get my stuff and his stuff balanced no problems and its not like he is dying to turn it up any louder. Well, There is always a little volume battle between us but thats getting off topic..
I must have misread you.

You're right. If you need to be louder than the drums then the drums must be miked up and in that case so will your amp so it all becomes moot.
My main reason for playing with my big amps is so I don't have to rely on foldback to hear myself. If the sound guy is going to stuff something up you know it's going to be the foldback. I gave up on relying on good foldback many years ago. I see guys using MFX units straight into the desk and I just shudder.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
lol @ actually being able to hear what im playing on stage! That will be the best gig ever! Next time im just going to take the vypyr and point it back at me! Will mic the 6505+ but the vypyr will be my monitor just so i can hear wtf im playing! lol

Ohh, +1 on the 60watt tube amp. Thats probably the best advice yet in this thread. Kudo's for thinking of it. Wish i would have got the 60 instead of the 75. Bad thing about this 75 is it has VERY low pawn/resale value..
Quote by surjer

it just depends where you are at with what they have that is what i have been trying to say.

i absolutely LOVE IT when i get a bigger venue and we can mic everything up, especially with the drums.

i know full well that you need to be able to keep up with a drummer, and have to balance everything out i have done so on and off for the last 8 years.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/