Hey guys, I'm really new to the whole guitar MIDI interface thing. I found a few VST hosts and plugins that alter the sound of MIDI devices. If I can connect my guitar to my computer I could just play and change tones with that, right?. I found:

http://www.amazon.com/Alesis-AudioLink-GuitarLink-Plus-Interface/dp/B004LUH5UI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326576986&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCG102-Guitar-to-USB-Interface/dp/B000PAPO9W

Would these work/does anyone know of any better/cheaper way to do this?
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
What internal soundcard does your computer have? If your soundcard is good enough you can just plug straight in and use the ASIO4ALL driver. But I recommend getting a decent USB interface anyway. Something like the Line 6 UX2 or M-Audio Fast Track would do the job very nicely.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by Twistedrock
What internal soundcard does your computer have? If your soundcard is good enough you can just plug straight in and use the ASIO4ALL driver. But I recommend getting a decent USB interface anyway. Something like the Line 6 UX2 or M-Audio Fast Track would do the job very nicely.

I have no idea... I looked up how to find what my sound card is and all I could find was that I have an Intel high definition HMDI or CODEC installed. I looked up the toneport UX2 and people have said it can't be used as a MIDI so I can only use what it comes with or buy extra tones from their store. The sad thing is, I have found a few free plugins and they make the tones I really wanted and the UX2 does not. That, and I figured, I could find quite a few VST plugins or just buy a pack or two of VST tones.
Quote by bizkitday4eva

The products you linked are USB interfaces to record your guitar.

As far as I understand you want to convert your guitar signal to midi to use some VST synths. So what you waht are some guitar to midi converters (for example PETERSON SONUUS-G2M V2) or a midi pickup (I think there was the Roland GK)

Of course there are other products. I have no experience with those so I can't really recommend you anything

If you want to record your guitar and then use a VST amp you need a USB Interface, to get a dry guitar signal which you run through a VST amp
Last edited by Tomura at Jan 14, 2012,
*Moved to correct forum*

I think you're confused on what MIDI is.

MIDI sends digital commands to a device or software in order to change channels/patches on an amp/effects unit, or as "notes" to trigger samples such as drums and synths. Electric drumsets and keyboards use MIDI to tell the processor what sound to play. Software like Superior Drummer and Kontakt use MIDI to write "notes" for virtual instruments to play, but you guitar has nothing to do with MIDI, unless you want to attach some kind of piezo pickup to use synth sounds with it.

I think what you mean is you want an audio interface, to use plugin (VST/RTAS/AU) amp simulations. The Line 6 UX2 you mentioned can most definitely use other amp plugins than POD Farm, which is included. Anyone who tells you otherwise has no idea what they're talking about.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Awesome, thanks MatrixClaw! The UX2 has .l6t files, and I have found .dll files for tones, would I be able to use that .dll file or would I need to convert it?
Quote by bizkitday4eva

Quote by Ticket48
Awesome, thanks MatrixClaw! The UX2 has .l6t files, and I have found .dll files for tones, would I be able to use that .dll file or would I need to convert it?

The .l6t file is just a patch file that someone's saved with a combination of amps, cabs, effects, etc. that they liked. Any .dll file you find for POD Farm will not work, as you have to have a license to run it (the UX2 will come with one), you also won't be able to use any .l6t files that require additional model packs, which aren't included with POD Farm Standard, that you get with the UX2.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com